Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:28:27 AM
714152 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7732 Members
Latest Member: Larryfiste
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ip Man (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ip Man (2008)  (Read 1965 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 07, 2010, 11:35:18 AM »

Wolverines!!!  IP man trashing occupier donkeys

Small | Large

This is the latest big hit  must see Kung Fu movie. It's all about Ip Man, sometimes known as Yip man and most famous for being the Wing Chun instructor of Mr. Bruce Lee. Lee himself eventually dismissed many aspects of Wing Chun in favor of a more western style, but still credited Ip man with providing his philosophical structure and basic sort of framework.

Ip man himself had an amazing story before all that and that was his beating up of many Japanese people who stupidly challenged him to fights during Japan's brutal occupation of China pre ww2. The story starts with Ip Man, the generally undisputed king of the local kung fu scene, having a good time modestly accepting various challenges, dealing with other teachers egos in a mayoral sort of way, and dealing with his annoying wifes curious lack of enthusiasm for his awesome kung fu. When the Japanese come the s**t hits the fan and it's rough waters ahead for Fo Shan.

You can tell they really took their time and got everythign right here. There's alot of fighting, but not so much that the story loses precedence. Nothing feels phoned in. Like the Shaolin Temple movies, it's not just about martial arts but national pride and whatnot. If you don't know much about all this stuff you will probably be like "what's the big deal" and it certainly isn't a "Iron Monkey" or "Crouching Tiger" type experience but maybe that's the point. There are not really any wire work scenes.  WIng chun is very compact and theres mainly alot of very close up shots of the intricate blocks and so forth. Not as epic as some of the more fantastical martial arts films and not alot in the way of cinematography but compelling all the same. The dubbing is pretty decent that's how I watched it.

4.25/5 required viewing for hardcore kung fu fans.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2010, 11:05:54 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »

Well, I should add Ip Man actually came out in 2008 - you're probably thinking of its sequel Ip Man 2, which came out this year.  Or maybe the unofficial prequel, The Legend is Born: IP Man also in 2010.

And I agree.  Excellent film.  Probably the best kung fu film of the past decade in fact.  My only complaint is I felt the ending was a little weak, just felt rushed and not as strong as the rest of the film.  The sequel is worth a watch, but not as good as the original (in any way, dramatically or fight sequence wise).  It's a 9/10 from me.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 10:56:37 AM »

I knew it came out earlier but the wait for it at netflix was so long for some reason I forgot.
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 07:49:47 AM »

I tried watching this the other night on netflix but it was dubbed so I turned it off. I hate dubbed movies (unless they're bad movies like the machine girl then its funny)   

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 07:59:56 AM »

Ip man himself had an amazing story before all that and that was his beating up of many Japanese people who stupidly challenged him to fights during Japan's brutal occupation of China pre ww2.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 11:29:37 AM »

3mnkids- I normally do to but I thought they did a good job, plus it's a kung fu movie. If I didn't watch dubbed kung fu I never would have seen a single one.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Ip Man (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.