Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:15:30 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that Actually Scared You « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Movies that Actually Scared You  (Read 11644 times)
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« on: October 09, 2010, 12:43:20 PM »

First of all, I apologize if this has been posted before. I checked and it seems like it has not, but I'd be surprised if that truly is the case.

What movies genuinely scared you?

I'll leave the meaning of scared up to interpretation, so it could mean anything from a little creeped out to disturbed to shaking in fear while hiding under the covers in your bed.

Also, the movies don't need to be consistently scary. They could have scared you once or maybe as a child, but not as an adult.

As for me, in no particular order:

Halloween - (1978)

French title: Ils, English title: Them - (2006)

The Terminator - (1984)

The Hills Have Eyes - (2006)

The Omen - (1976)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre - (1974)

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
3mnkids

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 12:59:23 PM »

The exorcist

Dark remains

Paranormal activity

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »

I'm sure we've talked about this many times before but the following definitely scared me upon first viewing:

Salem's Lot

Predator

The Haunting (1963)

The Thing (1982)

Jurassic Park

Jaws

Cujo

Trilogy of Terror

Halloween (1978)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Psycho (1960)

Carrie

Intruders

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 06:31:02 AM »

An American Werewolf in London kind of freaked me out when I first saw it in the theater.  There was that dream sequence where the guy ended up eating the head of a deer, and then he woke up and hit rotting buddy was sitting there wanting to have a conversation with him.  AAAHHH!

The remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massace was another great one.  The movie was jut intense and afterwards I was like "Awesome movie, I never want to watch it again."   TeddyR  I've since bought it on DVD and then Blu ray.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 06:57:16 AM »

Scared is an odd term.  I'm going with films that unnerved me:

1.  Session 9 - I've said it before and I'll say it again...this is a near perfect horror film.  There is so much tension and atmosphere here.  Very little on screen violence, everything is implied.  It's just superb from begining to end. 

2.  High Tension - This is the opposite of Session 9.  Here, every bit of violence is on screen and it's grueling.  It's just violent as hell.  Everytime you meet a new character in the film, you're sitting there wondering just exactly how they will die.  Seriously unlike anything I'd seen before or since. 

3.  Hellraiser - Seeing this film as a kid made for tons of nightmares.  Even watching it today, it's creepy.  That scene with Frank being reanimated is still one that gets me. 

4.  Pet Semetary - One of the King films that you really don't hear mentioned often.  There are two scenes that work and make this one a classic and extremely unnerving.  First is the kid getting hit by the 18 wheeler...the second is the scene with the achillies tendon.  That just scares the crap out of me.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
claws
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2010, 07:34:15 AM »

The Last Man on Earth (1964)

Let's Scare Jessica to Death (1971)

The Exorcist (1973)

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)

Jaws (1975)

The Sentinel (1977)

Dressed to Kill (1980)

The Evil Dead (1981)

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

and probably a few more.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2010, 08:31:00 AM »

A few of my faves . . .

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
MIRRORS
THE RING
JEEPERS CREEPERS (all more recent)

and going back a few years:
HELLNIGHT
THE GRIM REAPER (ANTHROPHAGUS)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2010, 11:27:55 AM »

The movie that most scared me in my life was the TV movie version of It.  I may add I saw it in its original broadcast when I was 7 years old.  I was REALLY freaked after I first saw it, like no other movie before or since.  I had to sleep in my parents bed for a night or two after.  For weeks after, while I wasn't nearly as scared any longer, I still found our basement scary (Michigan basement, with a central drain and scary furnace) and gave sewer openings and big drains a wide berth. 
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 02:07:39 PM »

Robot Monster- yeah, I know "WTF?!" but I was 4 when I saw it!

yeah no.
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2010, 05:14:10 PM »

Many of you have listed movies that have scared the hell of of me THE EXORCIST being at the top of my list --  but another one that really got to me was the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.  During it's original release, it was playing at the local movie theater and I had no idea at all what the movie was about. All I know is that it left a lasting impression on me. I had nightmares for quite awhile.  It had been on tv not long ago ... I watched the beginning and had to shut if off about 15 minutes into it.

Just thinking about it creeps me out.

Hold onto your dreams ....
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2010, 08:00:05 PM »

1.) Twilight Zone The Movie - Particularly the Gremlin on the wing.  God that bastard scared the crap out of me.

2.) Poltergeist - The whole clown scene is terrorizing.  Many have argued this film is tame, I feel way differently...its downright scary.

3.) Paranormal Activity - simple scares just performed brilliantly.

4.) Pete Semetary - just a horrible story from start to finish.  "Horrible" as in there is no light at the end of the tunnel, just darkness for all the characters.  The part that nabs me is when the mother goes into the neighbor's bedroom and sees her dead sister on the bed.  Getting goosebumps thinking about it.  

5.) Just About Any Living Dead Film - I used to catch these on Saturday nights with my dad a lot.  I'd watch but was really afraid of the dead rising after it.

6.) Hellraiser - Pinhead and company are insanely creepy characters.  Its another film where there is little light at the end of the tunnel.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2010, 08:06:51 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2010, 09:36:47 PM »

Many of you have listed movies that have scared the hell of of me THE EXORCIST being at the top of my list --  but another one that really got to me was the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.  During it's original release, it was playing at the local movie theater and I had no idea at all what the movie was about. All I know is that it left a lasting impression on me. I had nightmares for quite awhile.  It had been on tv not long ago ... I watched the beginning and had to shut if off about 15 minutes into it.

Just thinking about it creeps me out.

Amen to that, Silverlady  Cheers  The whole movie just had this scare factor to it, I can't explain it.  I myself was first scared to death by NOTLD in 1974 at a drive-in. I was with my parents (and my grandmother) and still it hit me like a rock.

Also, when I was around 11 or 12, it played on midnight TV (ABC, maybe) and there was a "dramatization"  warning subtitled across the bottom of the screen during the emergency TV broadcast in the movie.. 

It was dark, and I was hearing noises outside,  and it began to creep me out as I started asking what if it weren't a dramatization?  Fun stuff, that was... Buggedout

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »

4.  Pet Semetary - One of the King films that you really don't hear mentioned often.  There are two scenes that work and make this one a classic and extremely unnerving.  First is the kid getting hit by the 18 wheeler...the second is the scene with the achillies tendon.  That just scares the crap out of me.

You nailed that one.  I can watch the part with the tendon, but the 18 wheeler makes me sick to my stomach.  Mostly because it could easily happen and as a parent you would feel so helpless.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 09:59:41 PM »

You nailed that one.  I can watch the part with the tendon, but the 18 wheeler makes me sick to my stomach.  Mostly because it could easily happen and as a parent you would feel so helpless.

It's even more painful when the doctor shoves the needle into little Gage's neck at the end, and he cries out in pain and makes that hurt face as he does it. And then comes the double mind screw, when Gage turns around and says, "no fair, you cheated.." and collapses after taking a few steps. 

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »

already mentioned are JAWS and AMERICAN WEREWOLF IN LONDON, and THE OMEN. 3 scary films in their own way. as a 12-13 yr old watching them they affected me. I thought a shark would come out of my cupboard of something. but also certainly ROSEMARY'S BABY. intricate suspense and build up...very dark

nowadays, I don't think scared is the right word but parts of THE BROOD and SUSPIRIA definitely got me going a bit

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that Actually Scared You « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.