Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:47:31 AM
713386 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that Actually Scared You « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Movies that Actually Scared You  (Read 11647 times)
3mnkids
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2010, 12:47:15 PM »

Pontypool actually freaked me out, the idea of language being a virus that makes you go crazy and the claustrophobic atmosphere really creeped me out Buggedout

This comment on youtube sums it up:
Less about Zombies,more about how the public is affected by the media. of how the media report news and influence us, by repeating and repeating until the public repeat it, how the media build moral panics, and how the power of language and ideas can spread like a virus. That mass media spreads its message like a virus, focuses on the bloody and violent, controls and manipulates us creating mass hysteria, brainwashing us until we repeat what they say without having original thought

This is one of my all time favorite movies. I love it and watch it frequently.  Smile

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2010, 01:43:38 PM »

* The Exorcist
* Jaws
* Invasion of the Body Snatchers

I'm not sure Jaws actually scared me, but it did generate a great deal of nerve-wracking suspense.  I included it on my list anyway.

Honorable mention goes to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD the first time I saw it.  I was about 12 years old and they were showing it on the old Channel 27 (which I could barely get reception on where I lived in Massachusetts . . . I had to watch it on a 13 inch television in my kitchen and spent a long time adjusting the antenna before I could get even a barely watchable picture . . . I remember sitting with my face about a foot from the screen so I could see what was happening).  It was on late at night, everyone else in the house was in bed, and I was sitting there alone at the kitchen counter watching a snowy picture on a small screen.  That set of circumstances alone is surreal and scary.  I was surprised they showed it uncut, too.  You didn't often see stuff like that on TV in the 1970s.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2010, 02:59:11 PM »

Honorable mention goes to NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD the first time I saw it.  I was about 12 years old and they were showing it on the old Channel 27 (which I could barely get reception on where I lived in Massachusetts . . . I had to watch it on a 13 inch television in my kitchen and spent a long time adjusting the antenna before I could get even a barely watchable picture . . . I remember sitting with my face about a foot from the screen so I could see what was happening).  It was on late at night, everyone else in the house was in bed, and I was sitting there alone at the kitchen counter watching a snowy picture on a small screen.  That set of circumstances alone is surreal and scary.  I was surprised they showed it uncut, too.  You didn't often see stuff like that on TV in the 1970s.

Dude that's a great story.

Like when I was around 11 or 12 and got to see NOTLD on ABC on a warm summer night.  They had the TV broadcast with the words "dramatization" underneath it.  The windows were open and I heard small noises outside, and it started getting on my nerves.

My dad was asleep on the floor as I sat in the living room chair, but it still wan't enough to sway my imagination back into the real world.  What great memories we both have of this great movie!   Cheers

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2010, 08:13:02 PM »

Pretty much any horror flick scared me when I was younger; I was really squeamish.  But that changed within the past decade and a half or so.  Ocular trauma scenes especially resonated.

As for nowadays, nothing really gets to me.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
10,000 Volt Ghost
Ancient Radiation
Bad Movie Lover

Ancient Radiation

« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 11:07:58 AM »

Day of the Triffids creeped me out real bad when I first saw it(5 years old).

Return of the living dead's tar zombie scared me pretty good.

The re-released version of the exorcist that came out in the early 2000's got me when she "Walks down the stairs."

Blair Witch 2. Just because of the plotline.

John Hancock
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2010, 07:57:38 PM »

CARNIVAL OF SOULS (1962) on a CBS-TV (NY) Sunday afternoon around 1969...
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (1968) in a late night ABC-TV (NY) showing in the mid '70s...
THE TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) in a Midnight movie showing in Morristown, NJ about 1980...

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
voltron

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2010, 06:45:08 PM »

Black Christmas
Carnival Of Souls (NOT THE REMAKE!)
Cronenberg's 70s output is pretty icky as well.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »

As a kid, watching it on WNEW 5's Creature Features there was a film called Invisible Invaders that did me a few scares..

Mostly, it was the scenes when the invaders would show up to inhabit someone's body after they died.  You would see these tracks in the dirt made by invisible feet, as the invader made this raspy breathing sound.  Pretty freaky.

Mario Bava's Black Sabbath. The story called "A Drop Of Water." The look on that dead witch's face...Good Lord!  Buggedout And when she returns for the ring... double  Buggedout

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2010, 12:52:05 PM »

I actually envy those who have been scared by movies. I am a life long horror buff and there are a few movies where I can say it unnerved me in an entertaining way. Two are Cujo and Little Monsters (the monsters at the end in the playhouse).

However, the only movie that truly scared me as a child wasn't actually scary (in fact one kill in it made me laugh, I am so demented), it was the end that shocked me.

I learned what a transexual was at the age of 7 by watching Sleepaway Camp. When it was over, while screaming at the top of my lungs, I ran to the VCR, took the tape out and threw it across the room.

On a happier note, the kill that made me laugh was the beehive in a bathroom stall.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »

The Evil Dead.  The part where the first girl gets possessed (after she guesses all the cards in the deck) and she's floating in the air with those blank eyes and that demonic voice as she asks why Ash and his friends awakened them.
I think we all got hit by that one  BounceGiggle

An obscure classic called House Of The Seven Corpses.  The ending credits and what happens during the whole time..'nuff said.  And the movie itself had a very uneasy feeling to it.

And if I didn't mention The Legend Of Hell House before, THAT was a masterpiece. It was a big boost to the scare factor knowing that a REAL English mansion was used. What a great atmosphere the entire movie had!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2010, 02:00:22 PM »

Bob Roberts  Buggedout Gore Vidal and Tim Robbins were  phenomenal. Watching this film nowadays is even scarier because fiction has become a political reality.
KiwiGirl
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2010, 11:28:29 PM »

I was actually pretty scared by "The Others" but I think it was one of those situations that I was home alone and it was really stormy outside. Or was it just Nicole Kidman that scared me... hummm..lol
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Movies that Actually Scared You « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.