Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:37:14 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE SWAMP OF THE RAVENS (1974) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE SWAMP OF THE RAVENS (1974)  (Read 1445 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 24, 2010, 07:56:46 AM »

This is a stupid, often confusing movie that's on a double feature "Something Weird" DVD with THE THIRSTY DEAD.  The DVD also has an episode of 13 DEMON STREET (similar to THE TWILIGHT ZONE) hosted by Lon Chaney!

Anyway, THE SWAMP OF THE RAVENS is Spanish film about a mad scientist (with great 1970s sideburns) performing experiments in a shack at the edge of a swamp.  He dumps corpses and body parts into the swamp when he has no further use for them.    

The dialogue is terrible, as are the songs (one of the characters is a lounge singer and most of his lyrics are laughably awful . . . I wonder if the original Spanish dialogue and lyrics were better).  The ending is a huge let-down.  Hopefully, THE THIRSTY DEAD will be better.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 09:45:43 AM »

Sounds kind of similar to Curse of the Swamp Creature (1966) which I got 37 minutes into the other night  TeddyR  Some mad scientist performs experiments in a shack at the edge of a swamp, and tosses the dead bodies into the alligator pit when he's done.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:34:43 AM »

Sounds kind of similar to Curse of the Swamp Creature (1966) which I got 37 minutes into the other night  TeddyR  Some mad scientist performs experiments in a shack at the edge of a swamp, and tosses the dead bodies into the alligator pit when he's done.

CURSE OF TGHE SWAMP CREATURE was on TV a lot when I was a kid.  I bought the DVD a few years ago.  Funny . . . I remembered it being in black and white, but the DVD was in color.  Maybe I watched it on a black and white TV when I was a kid.  It would have been in the early 1970s, and I'm sure I had a black and white TV in my bedroom back then.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
major jay

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »

This just got released by VCI Entertainment. I'm thinking about picking it up but I'm waiting for some reviews about the transfer first. The SWV release is just way too dark.
As far as the movie goes I like it. It's extremely goofy. Here's a little bit of what DVD DRIVE-IN said about it.

Costa mounts and screws his dead girlfriend on the operating table, an amputated hand and multiple other body parts reproduce themselves without reason, Costa's female assistant teeters back and forth from accomplice to opponent, and autopsy footage appears out of nowhere. It's all so whacky and bizarre that the normal human mind might not be able to take it all in during one sitting! Throw into the mix the hilarious lounge music numbers, a kooky synthesizer musical score, and a bumbling police inspector played by exploitation regular Fernando Sancho (X-312 FLIGHT TO HELL, RETURN OF THE BLIND DEAD), and you've got a film that could only have made sense to the stoned, sex-crazed denizens of a 70s drive-in, capped off by a fiery finale and a goofy punchline. I dare you to make sense of SWAMP OF THE RAVENS...I double dog dare you!!

To me, that's a ringing endorsement.

major jay

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 03:43:49 PM »

I just got this, haven't watched it yet, but I love the cover.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  THE SWAMP OF THE RAVENS (1974) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.