Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:25:33 AM
713383 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help me understand Lucio Fulci, please.... « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Help me understand Lucio Fulci, please....  (Read 5052 times)
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 09:39:55 PM »

I only have 2 Fulci films: AENIGMA and THE RED MONKS

neither of them makes much sense, at all. A girl in Aenigma gets eaten by slugs and doesn't run away.

I want to get A LIZARD IN A WOMAN'S SKIN because it looks like a high class/surreal Giallo and has lots of good reviews.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2010, 11:41:50 PM »

From what I've seen, logic and sense are not to be found in a Fulci film.  Watch the eye impalement scene in zombie and ask yourself why she didn't, oh, turn her head slightly, or move the splinter to the side, or any of a number of other things.  His films play out like nightmares, with a logic that can't be trusted and a lot of stuff that makes no sense.  I find some of his imagery and sequences of violence hypnotic and mesmerizing, but a lot of the other sequences and the films as a whole often disjointed and a little dull. 

I hear his earlier giallos are a lot more conventional though.
I agree, especially about the women never running away or squirming much, if at all, while being attacked.  Not a big fan of Fulci but Zombie is okay (the only Fulci film I own).

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 04:22:20 AM »

As a doctor, writer, and director Fulci was someone in control, someone who had answers, yet life life would throw something at him which he could not answer. In 1969, his wife committed suicide. Several years later, his daughter was killed in a car wreck. Some say that his films entered into a dark period following these tragedies; especially following his daughter's death.

Thanks, Dr M: I never knew that happened to him.

Zombie (Zombi 2, among a dozen or so titles) is my favorite. It has Fulci's trademark atmosphere and apocalyptic feel, but unlike several of his films it has an actual linear storyline; not to mention that I'm kind of fond of the doctor named Menard.  TeddyR

TeddyR When I first joined this site, I had read up on LF's films and I just knew where you got your screen name from  Thumbup

You know things are going to get nasty when John Morghen makes an appearance on screen (and I must personally protest naming the town freak Bob).

TeddyR

Not to mention that he has an automatic inflatable doll, no pump necessary.  TeddyR

If anything I have written in this post makes any sense to anybody, it completely a figment of your imagination.

It helped me understand the man a little better so thanks to you and the other contributors.  Cheers

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 02:51:57 PM »

From what I've seen, logic and sense are not to be found in a Fulci film.  Watch the eye impalement scene in zombie and ask yourself why she didn't, oh, turn her head slightly, or move the splinter to the side, or any of a number of other things.  His films play out like nightmares, with a logic that can't be trusted and a lot of stuff that makes no sense.  I find some of his imagery and sequences of violence hypnotic and mesmerizing, but a lot of the other sequences and the films as a whole often disjointed and a little dull. 

I hear his earlier giallos are a lot more conventional though.
I agree, especially about the women never running away or squirming much, if at all, while being attacked.  Not a big fan of Fulci but Zombie is okay (the only Fulci film I own).

Zombie wasn't really much to understand. The dead rose and attacked the living and those that died from it got up and killed.  And yeah, it was a great movie.

While it was petty much a bandwagon film (in response to Dawn Of The Dead it managed to stand on it's own in terms of gore and shock.  In fact, it made the gore in DOTD (or any other film of the time) look like a cartoon show!

While not inspired by any originality, it did break ground in terms of gore FX.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help me understand Lucio Fulci, please.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.