Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:09:45 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939)  (Read 1369 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 10, 2010, 04:31:19 PM »

Plot: Sherlock Holmes arrives with new evidence to a London court just in time to see his nemesis, Professor Moriarty, to be acquited. On his way out, Moriarty brags about his wit with Holmes. He claims he can commit a crime big enough to figure in History books under Holmes' nose, and Holmes will be powerless to stop him. Soon later Holmes get a visit from a young woman. His father was killed after receiving a mysterious drawing, and his brother has just received an identical one.

Comments: This is the second of the 14(!) films in which Basil Rathbone played Sherlock Holmes back in the 40s. The first two were made by 20th Century Fox, but later the series was resurrected by Universal, who moved the setting to the 1940s so Holmes could fight the nazis (double !!). I saw many of these films while on my teens, and have fond memories of them.

As I said, this is the second in the series, the first being a competent but rather straightforward adaptation of "Hound of the Baskervilles", and I prefer this one, by far. For starters, it has Moriarty, played by some George Zucco. Zucco plays Moriarty more as a down to earth criminal rather than as an criminal mastermind. His plans may be very grandiose and elaborate, and his intelligence almost on par with Holmes, but he retains this malevolent attitude, no matter what he's doing. He has a couple of very funny scenes with his butler in which he threatens him with violent death over a dead plant. And part of what makes them so funny is that Zucco / Moriarty seems really capable of fulfilling his threats.

And then there's the original plot. I'm a longtime fan of Sherlock Holmes, which means I'm tired of reading (and watching adaptations of) the works by Conan Doyle. So a Holmes film with an original plot always catches my attention. And this film has a very good one. In the books moriarty was often the threat in the shadow. I don't even think Watson even got to see him and to describe him. Here the film pits him inmediately against Holmes, and he has plenty of screentime, which thankfully doesn't diminish his aura of mystery. The film also flows at a nice pace, even for today's standards, and there are some great laughs to be had (mostly at Watson's expense, because Nigel Bruce was always told to play the part for laughs). The jewels of the crown (snicker) are a supporting role by Ida Lupino ("High Sierra") and the big finale, a very suspenseful mano a mano between Holmes and Moriarty in the rooftops of the Tower of London.

Highly recommended. I plan to see more films in the series, if only to see how Holmes fights the nazis!

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:33:17 AM »

This is my favorite of the Basil Rathbone/ Holmes series.  The rest of the series vary from decent to very good, my favorites being Terror by Night, Pursuit to Algiers, Pearl of Death and The Scarlet Claw. One of the best things about them is that they are relatively short, usually just over an hour, so you can knock back a couple in an evening.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 10:37:20 AM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Neville

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:39:26 AM »

I've noticed Zucco doesn't reprise his role as Moriarty in the remainding films. Did they get him a decent substitute, at least?

BTW, if you're into Holmes, the recent British series "Sherlock" with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman is a must see.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (1939) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.