Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:22:27 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Local Legends Of Your Area « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Local Legends Of Your Area  (Read 8524 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 11:00:36 PM »

Happy, the bum.  (No, not me.)  This old dude, I believe is dead now, but he was apparently this guy with a boatload of money and a family that had a business.  He gave it up and lived on the streets.  Nice guy for a homeless dude, never bothered anybody.  Would do odd jobs for money/food.  Would go to the homeless shelter and work for the food they gave him.

There was a house down the street from me, never occupied.  Supposedly some lady who lived there was a witch and had apparently committed a bunch of heinous crimes (witchcraft, murder, etc.).  The police arrested her for some kinda crime, and she put a hex on it.  Still unoccupied and it's 20 years later.

Anne's Rock- a park where I grew up had a trail/woodsy area that led from the main park where all the little league baseball/football games happened and alongside it was the creek on the left and the right had a bunch of mountains/huge rocks (mainly cause the town Swim Club was there and it was hard to climb them.)  Well, story goes (I heard 2 versions but both had roughly the same story), that back in the late 1790's, early 1800's, as the town was being formed, there was a big Native American population.  There was a 12/13 year old girl, a Native American princess (or some such, was in line to be a leader of sorts) was playing in the park.  Some English Settlers were doing something in the park where she was, she overheard what was going on (it was illegal, I think a drug deal or some sort of land sale that was illegal), they saw her, chased her, she fell off the cliff (as there was no Swim Club at the time), hit her head on the ground.  The Settlers then rolled her off the trail into the creek to dispose of her.  It's been said that anyone who goes back there routinely smells some kinda odd smells, gets all kinds of cuts, gets hit repeatedly and feels a slight choking sensation.  I went back there, got some cuts.  But mainly cause 1.) I was drunk, and 2.) there's a lot of bushes with thorns.  I dunno.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
zombie no.one
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Oookaay...

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 11:37:24 PM »

In our town we have 'Geoffrey The Car'. this guy thinks he is a car. runs along the road with his hands on an imaginary steering wheel. I nearly saw him get knocked over once. He says he has disco equipment in the back of his 'van'

another guy who walks through town in a suit with an old ghetto blaster, listening to elvis songs.

in Burnham (nearest town to us) there is a guy who wears a sheriff's badge and thinks he is 'the sheriff of burnham' (weird, but even weirder because we don't even have 'sheriffs' over here)

and also in burnham one guy who used to walk around with a spade everywhere claiming to be a gardener. he got arrested because he strarted threatening everyone with his spade.

Geoffrey the car is the best though. We saw him stop some people once and ask them if they could help him reverse his van round a corner, he dissapeared round the corner and then came jogging out backwards! that was years ago, but he's still about

EDIT - aha, I've found a reference to this guy on the net:

Many years ago our lodger got on the bus to come home, and Disco Geoff/Jeff pulled in front of the bus in his imaginary lorry.No amount of persuation followed by curses from the bus driver would induce him to move,so the driver was forced to nudge Geoff out of the way with the bus!

http://www.knowhere.co.uk/Bridgwater/Somerset/South-West-England/info/localcharacters
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 11:45:51 PM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
claws
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 12:49:24 AM »

In our town we have 'Geoffrey The Car'.

Reminds me of another local legend. Some old woman they called "Blue car." Story goes in the early 70s they constructed a much needed bridge over the river so people wouldn't have to detour to reach town. There was a big opening ceremony and the first car to cross the bridge was a blue VW beetle. Apparently the old lady attending the bridge opening festivities got all excited shouting "oooh blue car!" which didn't went by unnoticed and caused many laughs amongst bystanders. I assume people were easy to amuse back then.
Anyhow, kids started teasing the old lady after the incident, yelling "blue car!" at her which got her always furious. She would run after you and hit you in the back with her wooden cane.

Here's another legend, more of an urban legend though. When we first moved to town kids would say "the firedevil will get you." The "Firedevil" was our full fledged campfire tale. Our "Pumpkinhead" or "Candyman" if you will. Story goes an abused boy set his house on fire killing both his parents. While the fire department were cleaning up the boy found the corpse of his dead father in the rubble and cut off one of his hands and kept it as a souvenir tied to his belt.
Apparently the boy was somehow able to dodge authorities and lived as a hermit of some sorts. During the summer he would sneak into people's garden and steal vegetables and fruit. He was living in an old shack in the woods during the winter. We went searching for the shack as kids many times but never found anything.
Over the years the "Firedevil" story faded into oblivion but some folks here still remember.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 01:52:10 AM »

Two other Pretoria legends:

There was / is a chap in Pretoria who claimed to have the world's highest IQ ~ not tested, I believe ~ and proclaimed that he caused Hendrik Verwoerd's assassination through his 'power of prayer' because the Prime Minister refused to let this chap change his first name to Super Genius. This guy would rattle around town in a blue Datsun with a triple number plate: the legal one on the bumper itself and then two others, above and below it stating: THE PRO CHRIST and THE WORLD RULER. I know about those license plates firsthand as the SOB nearly rode me over in the street once when I was waiting to cross the street.  Buggedout

The other local legend was a street preacher dressed all in black (black hat as well) who would stand on the street corner, being silent some of the time but suddenly bursting out with the words POWERRRRRRRRR IN JESUS which would give you quite a scare if you weren't expecting it. I spoke to him once and he told me that he saw a angel standing with his one foot on the roof of the ABSA building and the other on the roof of the Reserve Bank building: Pretoria's two highest buildings.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 06:19:42 AM »

There was a house down the street from me, never occupied.  Supposedly some lady who lived there was a witch and had apparently committed a bunch of heinous crimes (witchcraft, murder, etc.). 

In Gwelo, Rhodesia (the town I grew up in: now Gweru, Zimbabwe) there was also a house like that which people only ever spoke about in whispers and no, it wasn't my family home.  Wink The house wasn't far from mine and there were also rumours of witchcraft and other bad things going on there as some of the windows were boarded up. The house was eventually sold, fixed up and the people that bought it seemed to be happy there, the house's bad reputation notwithstanding.  Smile

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2010, 09:37:02 AM »

I know the original intent was not supernatural, but here goes.

Southern California, where I grew up, there is a very large funerial industry with some gigantic cemetaries, such as Forest Lawn and Rose Hills. Rose Hills, which is one of the largest cemetaries in the world by size, is right in Whittier, California where I grew up. There is an area of Rose Hills that is known locally as “gravity hill.” If you look up “rose hills gravity hill” in google there are a few articles. It is nothing but an optical illusion, but that doesn’t stop people from applying supernatural significance to the phenomenon.

There is a section of road going through the cemetary, near some rose gardens, where the layout of the land and graves around it gives a very distinct illusion that you are going in the opposite angle upward or downward than you actually are. It’s really quite striking. If you park your car at what appears very clearly to be the bottom of the hill and put the car in neutral, you appear to be rolling uphill. This works for anything with wheels. The proof of this being an optical illusion is simple, as I have done it, you simply place a bubble level on the road and you can see the reality, but your eyes and mind cannot escape the illusion, it is that pronounced. The first time I ever experienced it I was in high school. We were driving around, and someone said “let’s go to gravity hill.” When the guy driving put the car at the bottom of the “hill” facing upward, and put the car in neutral, I couldn’t believe it. I insisted he had put the car in drive and was idling forward, but upon inspection it was definitely in neutral. Very disorienting to experience it.
The local legend has grown to the point that the security staff are well aware of it, and often have to drive off visitors who stop in that area, as they are clearly not there to visit a dead relative.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 02:10:23 PM »

hi,
I have recently given up on my martial arts training,(i,m getting way too old) anyway one of my pupils parents(her mother) was the bane of all my instructors.This well educated woman would jump and scream in their faces and she would constantly complain to me.During one particular competition she ran onto the mat and grabbed her daughters competitor and was thus banned from further competitions,she never forgave me for not sticking up for her and every day for about three months she stood outside my bungalow with a huge banner proclaiming me to be a traitor, 
I also know of this gentleman who lives close by who is known as Custer, he is always dressed in old western gear and claims to have rid America of the Indians.

GEEZ! I NEVER REALISED A BRAIN WEIGHED SO MUCH.
WHY HAVE YOU GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HAND? I HAVEN'T IT'S IN YOUR CHEST.
A MARATHON! MY WIFE COULDN'T RUN A BATH WITHOUT FEELING TIRED.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »

There was a house down the street from me, never occupied.  Supposedly some lady who lived there was a witch and had apparently committed a bunch of heinous crimes (witchcraft, murder, etc.). 

In Gwelo, Rhodesia (the town I grew up in: now Gweru, Zimbabwe) there was also a house like that which people only ever spoke about in whispers and no, it wasn't my family home.  Wink The house wasn't far from mine and there were also rumours of witchcraft and other bad things going on there as some of the windows were boarded up. The house was eventually sold, fixed up and the people that bought it seemed to be happy there, the house's bad reputation notwithstanding.  Smile
I used to go down to this house down the street from me.  The witch's house.  Never occupied but there would be a cat there sometimes.  I moved out of the neighborhood last summer, and a family had finally bought it, some 20 years after it went on the market.  From what my friend told me, they moved out THIS summer.  So they had it a year.

Why they moved out, I dunno.  I never met them.  But supposedly the house was haunted what with all the murders. Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2010, 01:31:59 PM »

I can't believe I never thought about this.

Sandwiched between Whitter, California where I grew up, and another suburb of Los Angeles called Hacienda Heights, is single road that runs through an area of local infamy called Turnbull Canyon. Anyone who lives in either of those two cities have at some point driven the dangerous hairpin turns, and also have heard at least one of the many legends that surround this very strange desolate place in the midst of the densely populated L.A. basin. I myself grew up hearing tales of satanic cults that practiced human sacrifice in the hills of Turnbull Canyon, to a hanging tree that was cut down, to brutal murders and bodies being dumped off, to a serial killer who actually lived in hills. There was even a legend that an insane asylum once existed.

If you go on Google and type in "turnbull canyon" you will see a number of auto populated searches come up, and lots of articles, and even some youtube movies by amateur documentarians who have visited various spots in the canyon trying to investigate various legends.

In truth, Turnbull Canyon is creepy as hell, but I'm sure 99% of the legends are complete bulls**t. Yet, somehow, although I've hiked a good portion of the canyon, I've always made sure I was out of there by nightfall. Some things, no matter how unbased in reality they may be, never leave you.

I did some research online and came up with some youtube videos of those who have taken their camera to an area known to locals as The Gates of Hell. Certainly an ominous title, it is, quite simply, and old wrought iron gate whose age is unknown, but is closed off and made inacessible by a fence with lots of barbed wire, and even surveillance cameras behind the fence. Now, this has always bugged me. One video shows a group that managed to get into the area behind the gates by climbing down a steep cliff, only to reveal there is nothing there but brush. Then why the security measures? Why the cameras? Very strange. The first rational thing that came to mind is that perhaps it was to keep people out because it is dangerous there, but having hiked though much of the canyon in my life, it seems hardly likely that it's any more dangerous than the rest of the treacherous canyon is. It seems nobody online has ever been able to explain who owns the area and why it is inaccessible. Look up "turnbull canyon gates of hell" and you'll see the videos.

The only thing I was able to see for certain that is a legitimate news story about the areas is definately very gruesome. A young woman was apparently killed and her body dragged through the canyon behind a car, and it is an unsolved murder. Nobody knows if the body was dragged while the young woman was still alive or not, but that's pretty gruesome.

If I had the time on my hands I would love to do a proper documentary on Turnbull Canyon. I have this idea that it would be a good subject to approach as a debunking project, but who knows what interesting stuff you might come across if you dig deep enough. I have no doubt some strange things have happened in this secluded area that seems to have easy access via hiking trails and plenty of trailheads. There are areas far more secluded than the canyons on the other side of Hollywood where more people own homes. Man, now I really wish I had the time and resources to do a documentary.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2010, 01:09:47 PM »

The building that the Film Archives was in for over 30 years - we should be moving back there in 2011 - is definitely haunted. You do not want to be in that building after 10 pm. Cold spots, doors that slam shut and sometimes just very bad vibes in the building do not make it a pleasant place after dark. During the day it's quite pleasant but at night......   Buggedout Buggedout

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »

The building that the Film Archives was in for over 30 years - we should be moving back there in 2011 - is definitely haunted. You do not want to be in that building after 10 pm. Cold spots, doors that slam shut and sometimes just very bad vibes in the building do not make it a pleasant place after dark. During the day it's quite pleasant but at night......   Buggedout Buggedout
I also heard that at times you can smell mysterious whiffs of spirit underpants from long ago....

*hands back the falshlight*
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 10:14:29 AM »

Here's another near-neighbour who is locally famous for their individuality:

"Pigs dressed for all occasions" (I am particularly fond of their biker outfits - no pics of those, sad to say)

http://www.dunnvillechronicle.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2900602

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Raffine

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 12:33:48 AM »

What an amazing thread! There are some terrific stories here.

It seems almost every town, big or small, has had its collection of local characters and legends.

One that immediately comes to mind about the small town where I grew up is another old witch house story. The creepy old house was roughly across the street from our house (we lived in the rural 'suburbs' of our small town) and was in a small wooded area in the middle of a huge cow pasture. To add atmosphere there were several old 'Indian graves' around the house.

Even though it was obviously deserted, the story went it was actually inhabited by a crazy old hag who years ago had murdered her husband with an axe. Naturally, she slept with his leg bone.

My friends and I had many heroic adventures in the area (including many almost successful bigfoot tracking expeditions) but we were NEVER brave enough to get very close to the witch house.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 09:15:35 AM »

Im the local legend. And I aint tootin my own horn-it sucks being the village weirdo. People know me-I have no clue who they are. I guess Im the eccentic guy with long hair who doesnt drive a car,buys booze at 7 in the mornig-does tattos for free,and doesnt do drugs. (The "doesnt do drugs" comment may sound strange-but when you live in a very low income area like SW Michigan-its an exception to the rule. Ive seen 3 people that I grew up with die in the last month-2 blew themseves up with a home made meth lab-one had a heart attack from meth) I know lotsa folks-but I dont "hang out." I live like a hermit. Every one is very nice to me. But being my brother in law murdered  a man with a 12 gauge shotgun they think I might do something crazy like that too.I dunno why. Ive lived in this podunk town on and off since 1969. But they look at me like Im some kinda kook.
 My Aunt Jerry (RIP) usta drive a moped evrywher-she was a deaf mute. Her husband-my Uncle Joe Bonarski-(yeh,a polack) got his liscence takin' away back in the 70's-when Drinking and driving was a misdonemer! He had a thing called the Lawton Zoo. He had peacoks and a monkey and farm critters-kids usta go over and check them out. The school even had field trips over at his place! But his alchoholism got the better of him-the monkey died cuz he forgot about him-he froze to death. So did his donkey. Me and my brother Richie had to dig a hole in frozen dirt to bury it. He payed us 2 dollars and gave us a bottle of homemade wine!I was 16. My brother was 11. Crazy old basterd.Every one knew Little Joe. He was short too. Bout 5' 2". Guess crazy short basterds run in the family.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 09:18:50 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 11:29:59 AM »

In Oxford, NJ (where my mom used to live) there's Shippen Manor, a place that was recently featured on one of the Ghost Hunter shows, or some other paranormal show.  It's rumored to be loaded with ghosts, as befitting it's place in colonial, pre-American history (remember that NJ was one of the original American colonies.)

Oxford also has the Oxford Furnace, adjacent to the Oxford Colonial Methodist Church. The furnace made ammo and other supplies for just about every period in colonial NJ history, right up to WW1.  It was the site of several skirmishes between British and French troops, but remained in the hands of the British.  The height of it's production was during The Civil War.

Washington, 9about 3 miles away) NJ has the "Hook Man."  As the story goes, he lost his hand due to an accident on the railroad track, sometime in the mid-to-late 1800's. He wanders the tracks holding a lantern in his remaining hand, looking for the hand.

Occasionally, he'll stop people along the tracks at night, and ask if they've seen his hand, and then he'll chat with the person for awhile, and ask them to explain all the stuff he sees (cars, trucks and modern technology.)  He'll then tip his hat, excuse himself, and be on his way.  This, as it was told to me.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Local Legends Of Your Area « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.