Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:35:33 AM
713349 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  San Fransisco to BAN Happy Meal Toys « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: San Fransisco to BAN Happy Meal Toys  (Read 3272 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 10, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »

Another in the "I wish I Was Making This s**t Up" department.  The city of San Fransisco in all it's glorious wisdom, has decided to BAN Happy Meal toys from McDonalds.  This is, they say, an attempt to curve obesity amongst the youth. 

It's funny, I didn't realize it was the cities job to monitor what child eat... could sworn the parents were supposed to do that.  But what makes this situation even more hysterical is all the crazy s**t that San Fan (and CA in general) tends to SUPPORT in their own weird code or morals, but this, oh no, it's unacceptable!

To paraphrase a saying I've heard elsewhere, "San Fransisco: Smoke anything but cigarettes, ingest anything but Happy Meals!"

But I guess what's really confusing to me is, McDonald's has been around for what?  Fifty years, maybe more?  And they've been handing out toys with their meals for at least two, three decades (hell, I remember getting them when I was a kid) and now suddenly these are the main culprits in children getting heavy?  Something doesn't add up here. 

When I was kid, I liked McDonalds but we didn't go too often.  It was an "every now and then" treat for us kids, especially since there was FIVE of us children in the household, we couldn't really AFFORD to go to McDs that often.  Have the toys gotten better since then?  I admit being a tad disappointed with a lot of the crap I got, especially the "Transformer" that didn't transform (or even move, it was more like a plastic statue).  Maybe there's some merit to this.. for example, those Wizard of Oz dolls they had a few years back were a lot cooler than anything I remember getting.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
akiratubo

« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 06:30:58 PM »

What do the toys have to do with obesity, anyway?  Last I checked, you didn't eat them.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
venomx
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »

I agree. The toys have nothing to do with obesity. But parnets should use good judgement. Not too much fast food.

Anyway... If my parnets had "good judgement" I wouldn't have the Burger King Star Wars glasses back in 1977.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 06:58:39 PM by Venomx » Logged
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 08:08:02 PM »

Are there any sane people in San Francisco?

Just wondering.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 10:28:55 PM »

I don't think I agree with the ban, but I think the kids eat the crappy "meals" to get the toys.  Emphasis on crappy

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 08:22:09 AM »

I don't think I agree with the ban, but I think the kids eat the crappy "meals" to get the toys.  Emphasis on crappy

That's the argument that's made, but I don't think it holds water.

The kids don't eat anything the parents don't buy for them.  Given the average time before failure on most of these toys is about 6 minutes or so, I doubt the parents are buying the Happy Meal to get their child a useful, fun toy.

Also, other places (I don't know about McDonald's) have Kid's Meals that are healthier...fruit or yogurt options as a side, for example.  The problem is not the toy, it's the CRAP the parents are putting into their children.

My son likes Kid's Meals with the toys from the places we go...but, for whatever it's worth, we have not been to McDonald's in about 14 years.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 08:16:59 PM »

That's the argument that's made, but I don't think it holds water.
The kids don't eat anything the parents don't buy for them. 
Of course, but I can remember (and I was no brat) pressing my mother to buy certain cereals  (that I often didn't eat) in order to get the toy surprise inside.  Don't underestimate the appeal of a colorful trinket. 

Given the average time before failure on most of these toys is about 6 minutes or so, I doubt the parents are buying the Happy Meal to get their child a useful, fun toy.
Also, other places (I don't know about McDonald's) have Kid's Meals that are healthier...fruit or yogurt options as a side, for example.  The problem is not the toy, it's the CRAP the parents are putting into their children.
So... you're asserting that the motivation to buy the crappy meal is to not get the crappy toy but to feed one's child crap...??  Question

My son likes Kid's Meals with the toys from the places we go...but, for whatever it's worth, we have not been to McDonald's in about 14 years.
Well I admire your will power...  Wink

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:19:43 PM »

Some great comments by all a' ya, but a few of em' really stick out:

But what makes this situation even more hysterical is all the crazy s**t that San Fan (and CA in general) tends to SUPPORT in their own weird code or morals, but this, oh no, it's unacceptable!

Amen on that one. God knows what drives the moral, political and philosophical hypocrisy of the life forms known as the San Fancisco lawmakers..

To paraphrase a saying I've heard elsewhere, "San Fransisco: Smoke anything but cigarettes, ingest anything but Happy Meals!"

LOL, post of the day. There again, they wind up getting the munchies when they're high and probably wind up eating stuff in volume that makes it  ten times worse than a Happy Meal.

What do the toys have to do with obesity, anyway?  Last I checked, you didn't eat them.

No, but someone, somewhere in SF would probably have no problem smoking the
toy to try to get high off of polystyrene though, so maybe it's a good idea anyhow  BounceGiggle

I wonder how many Happy Meals would be sold if a Nancy Pelosi or Harry Reid action figure came with them? 

And finally, a nod to my old buddy Indianasmith:

Posted by Indianasmith

Are there any sane people in San Francisco? Just wondering.

You had to ask this one despite the obvious?  BounceGiggle

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  San Fransisco to BAN Happy Meal Toys « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.