Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:21:15 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  THE TUDORS (Season IV and last) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: THE TUDORS (Season IV and last)  (Read 2374 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: November 11, 2010, 12:14:54 AM »

In 1990, my wife was cast as a member of the chorus in a musical retelling of the life of Henry VIII entitled A MASQUE FOR HENRY (it was written and produced by the actor who played the principal of a middle school on a popular 80's sitcom . . . not BOY MEETS WORLD, but one very similar).  I had already taken a course in Tudor and Stuart England taught by the finest instructor I ever had, Dr. Robin Rudoff, and between the highly entertaining play and Dr. Rudoff's brilliant lectures, I became completely captivated by the life of this sixteenth century monarch.  I have read every biography I could get my hands on and several historical novels as well.  So when THE TUDORS first came out I was prepared to love it.
   Inittially, I was offput by how little John Rhys-Myers resembled Henry VIII.  But the remarkable screenwriting, brilliant acting, and excellent casting won me over, and by the end of season 1, I was hooked.  Two weeks ago, Season 4 came out on video, and I watched the series finale tonight.

BRILLIANT.  There is not another word.  To see the lusty and powerful King slowly reduced to a feeble invalid, haunted by the ghosts that he himself created, was at once touching and satisfying.  Tamzin Merchant projected just the right aura of innocence and sensuality as the ill-fated child queen Katherine Howard (although I'll admit her nude scenes made me a bit uncomfortable as she looks to be about 13!), and one of my favorite actresses and longtime celebrity crushes, Joely Richardson, was perfectly cast as Henry's final bride, the devout widow Katherine Parr.

If you love history at all, if rich drama appeals to you, and low cut sixteenth century dresses that don't always stay on sound appealing, I would urge anyone who has not seen this series to rent Season 1 and treat yourself to about 40 episodes of English Renaissance awesomeness! Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup Thumbup

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2010, 04:30:05 PM »

I'm afraid I've never seen an episode of it. The only TV miniseries on Henry VIII I have seen is "The Six Wives of Henry VIII" w/ Keith Mitchell in the title role. And that's the 1970 version, and not the 2001 version.

That'd be followed the next year or 1971 by "Eizabeth R." w/ Glenda Jackson in the title role, which I remember as being even better that "The Six Wives of Henry VIII," as good as that was.

And here's an easy way to remember the fates of Henry's six wives.

Divorced
Beheaded
Died
Divorced
Beheaded
Survived
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »

My wife got wrapped up in the Tudor era and, of course, this series. Then she got me wrapped up in it. I really enjoyed the entire series. Natalie Dormer being incredibly hot as Anne Bolyn certainly helped, and that season where she died was particularly good, but overall it was a solid series. I had my doubts about the final season, but I was impressed by the portrayal of the very respectful relationship between Henry and Katherine Parr, showing that Henry had finally grown up. Amazing how driven by his passions he was throughout most of his life.

One part of the show also stuck out for me for some strange reason. When Henry went into depression and seclusion following Jane Seymour's death, the only person that provided him counsel was his fool. Most people don't know that the king's fool was no fool by the common definition. Instead the king's fool was generally an educated man, with wit, was was one of the few people who could actually speak openly and criticize the king. Provided it wasn't public, the fool could generally say whatever he pleased, and some kings would give great consideration to the the advice given.

I'd like to voluteer myself for this role to our Presidents.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  THE TUDORS (Season IV and last) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.