Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:24:18 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Dino de Laurentiis « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: RIP Dino de Laurentiis  (Read 2158 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 11, 2010, 12:19:31 PM »

Dino De Laurentiis dies, aged 91
Thursday, November 11 2010, 12:34 GMT
By Simon Reynolds, Movies Editor

Legendary producer Dino De Laurentiis has died at the age of 91.

De Laurentiis, whose career in cinema spanned more than 70 years and 160 movies, passed away in Los Angeles, according to Italian media reports.

De Laurentiis established himself as one of Italy's leading post-war producers, working on neorealist films and collaborating with Federico Fellini on La Strada (1954), for which he shared a 'Best Foreign Language' film Oscar with Carlo Ponti, and Nights of Cabiria (1956).

He produced the Jane Fonda cult classic Barbarella in 1968 before relocating to the US in the 1970s.

His Hollywood credits include Al Pacino's Serpico, Three Days Of The Condor, the 1976 King Kong remake, Flash Gordon, Dune and Body Of Evidence.

De Laurentiis's biggest success came with his big screen adaptations of Thomas Harris's Hannibal Lector character. He produced Manhunter, Hannibal, Red Dragon and Hannibal Rising, but passed on the opportunity to make 1991's Oscar-winning The Silence Of The Lambs.

De Laurentiis is survived by wife Martha De Laurentiis, their two children, and four children from his first marriage to Silvana Mangano.

Source: Digital Spy

He was one of a kind, equally prone to produce gems of the seventh art (such as the final John Wayne film, The shootist or Conan the Barbarian) or absolute disgraces, such as Red Sonja, Orca or the 1970s remake of King Kong.

Personally, I think the excesses of being a new rich were inherited by the movies he produce. He could be either splendid or a tight pocket, depending on the occassion, and more often than not his final decisions were made on the basis of "more expensive means better", but his body of work is so inmense it's hard not to find in it one or two guilty pleasures, if not personal favorites.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:29:25 PM »

I was sad to see this. He Produced some good movies, and a few bad ones. Despite its overall badness I still have some love for the 1976 King Kong. He knew how to be a producer and get money out of a film for sure. RIP

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:29:54 PM »

I never even knew he was still around up to this point.  91 is a long time..

He was, as was said earlier, the maker of a few good movies, and a few bad ones.

Not the most prolific of people, but his name was popular enough to know who he was and when he did something, all of Hollywood knew about it.  He definitely got his money from the movie biz, andf made a name for  himself, that's for sure.

Rest In Peace..

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 08:39:56 AM »

"Flash Gordon" is one of my favorite cheesy movies of all time.  He spent millions to make that film look cheap and gaudy, and the effect came out just right.  RIP, and thanks for a number of films that may not be heralded as good, but they sure are fun to watch.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 03:45:04 AM »

R.I.P. Dino de Laurentiis. Whether bad or good, more oft than not his movies sure were entertaining...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  RIP Dino de Laurentiis « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.