Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:43:27 PM
713364 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best type of Creature FX « previous next »
Poll
Question: What's the best type of Creature FX?
Stop Motion Animation - 15 (23.4%)
CGI - 5 (7.8%)
Animatronics/Puppets - 15 (23.4%)
Rubber Suits - 14 (21.9%)
Prosthetic Make-up - 15 (23.4%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Best type of Creature FX  (Read 5418 times)
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #15 on: December 02, 2010, 07:49:31 PM »

I went with prosthetic and stop motion.
I like prosthetic because it allows the human element. Can you imagine the 1931 FRANKENSTIEN as rubber mask? Karloff would have had a hard time emoting if he looked like...I dunno...TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN.
And as for stop motion....compare the 1933 KING KONG with the man in a suit KONGA. (Though Rick Baker did a pretty good job in a suit in the 1976 remake.The only good thing about that picture.) I did think the cgi in the new KING KONG was done very well,though. I guess I like the stop motion because...I dunno...I grew up on Harryhausens wonderful movies. I gotta soft spot for 'em.
BUT....rubber suits are fun...Paul Blaisdall's AIP creatures are classic!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2010, 02:20:05 PM »

For me, it depends entirely on the creature design and what the movie needs it to do. If it's human-sized and creeping around, a rubber suit/prosthetic can be very effective. Need a few shots of its decidedly un-human facial features contorting in ways no actor could make a mask move? Animatronics might be the way to go. Something huge or with an anatomy completely unlike a human's that's moving around a lot very quickly? CGI can make it look quite realistic. Looking to add some old-school charm to a creature that can't be played by a guy in a suit? Stop-motion's still a viable option.

No matter which FX route you go, it should be justified in the context of the story you want to tell. Does your futuristic sci-fi REALLY need that 10-storey tall robot? Is there any reason you can't use a smaller one? Is there even any reason to have that robot at all?
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 02:21:50 PM »

1) Rubber Suit (Funny)
2) Anything you don't notice.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ArmyOfMachines25
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »

Anything but CGI is cool to me, i mean theirs some times when CGI is done right, but even then you kno that its just a computerized image, i prefer it if theirs actualy something their for the actors to interact with even if it does make it look extremely cheesy.
diamondwaspvenom

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2011, 05:52:51 PM »

I've always been more of a fan of the practical effects. No matter how crummy a suit or a puppet looks, I'd still prefer it over CGI.

I'll be honest though, CGI has impressed me in the past (i.e. Avatar, Jurassic Park and The Lord of the Rings trilogy). My only problems with computer generated creatures has to do with the way it moves. Texture-wise, normally the design is pretty cool, but the movement is often too fast or too smooth and it winds up looking too cartoonish. It's happened often where I feel like I'm looking at a videogame character instead of an actual creature.

I'm aware of the difficulties that come with trying to create a computer generated monster. But when it comes down to choose a technique: puppets win for me.
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2011, 07:20:39 PM »

I also picked all five because like ulthar stated they all their place.

A lot of people come down on cgi, saying it looks fake. But there's also a lot of times where it goes unnoticed and feels seamless. If you go back you'll surely find horrible model work, stop motion work and make up. These tools are only as good and effective as the artists using them.

=== ===
           Go Robo!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2011, 08:16:14 PM »

Was Medusa stop motion or an animatronic puppet from Clash Of The Titans 1983? Maybe a mix of both?

I just watched that scene recently. I am almost certain it's all stop motion.

DEFINITLY stop motion! Courtesy of the one and only Ray Harryhausen! The Master behind the Ymir in 20 MILLION MILES TO EARTH, The Octopus (with 6 arms!) in IT CAME FROM BENEATH THE SEA,EARTH VS THE FLYING SAUCERS,The MYSTERIOUS ISLAND,JASON AND THE ARGONAUTS,the SINBAD movies-so many more...!

I have a dvd called the SCI FI BOYS-which is a history and biography of folks like us-GEEKS! The film is about the original geeks-Forry Ackerman,Ray Harryhausen,Ray Bradbury......our fore runners.

Small | Large

I love these guys. They made my childhood.  Smile

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
rebel_1812
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »

Stop animation is king.  If you don't believe so watch "Jason and the Argonaughts."

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2011, 09:43:04 PM »

CGI can be exquisite (Gollum animated onto Andy Serkis' motion capture, with Serkis' awesome voice, for example).    It can also just be glaringly artificial and tacky.

They can all be awesome in their place... but their place has to be in a well told story.

Much the same way that awesome graphics in a video game are one thing, but they cannot stand alone (must have a good story).
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2011, 02:49:17 PM »

all of the creatures in Clash of the Titans are stop motion. They were created and animated by none other than the legendary Ray Harryhausen.

Yes sir, they certainly were.  Ray Harryhausen is a god among men in terms of creature animation. None before him, none after.  He also animated Jason And The Argonauts (1960's version)  the 70's era Sinbad movies,  the Ymir from 20 Million Miles To Earth, and one of my personal favorites,  The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms.

Me, I can't really say what my favorite is. Being raised on suit actors in Toho' Godzilla films, and the stop-motion actions from Hollywood, it's hard to pick one over the other.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2011, 06:10:30 PM »

Stop animation is king.  If you don't believe so watch "Jason and the Argonaughts."

It has its downsides, often more than naught they never have the same level of detail or movement as an actual living being. Go-motion http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_motion was a really promising advancement for the field, sadly most of its stuff can be supplemented with computers nowadays.
SumatranRatMonkey
New Visitor

« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2011, 08:59:05 PM »

It's hard to say what is my favorite.  I do prefer practical effects over CGI, though it's finally beginning to come into it's own.  I miss puppetry a lot.  You rarely see it anymore.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Best type of Creature FX « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.