Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:20:08 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Old effects work that still holds up « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Old effects work that still holds up  (Read 12940 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2010, 11:00:42 PM »

KING KONG is definitely the first one I thought of.  The uncanny, slightly unreal effect of stop-motion animation really adds to his mythic aura.  The problem with CGI is it assumes "more realistic" always equals "better," which is absolutely not the case...
CGI is getting better, but I'm not sure it's "more realistic".
MIGHTY JOE YOUNG also still looks good.  
Small | Large

These cheapo effects are great:
Small | Large

Small | Large

(It's so good...) POSITIVELY NO REFUNDS!!  

KYUKETSUKI GOKEMIDORO (Goke, Body Snatcher From Hell-1968)
Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 11:34:37 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2010, 02:22:25 AM »

Certain names come to mind --- Ray Harryhausen, Willis O'Brien, Jack Pierce, Eiji Tsuburaya, Rick Baker, George Pal, Stan Winston, Jim Henson...sure there's others.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2010, 04:46:23 AM »

if anyone here has seen "Alice in wonderland" from 1933, i think they will agree that the effects work is not only stunning but incredibly remarkable for that time period.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2010, 10:14:40 AM »

And the films that inspired me to create this thread, The Creature From the Black Lagoon and its two sequels.  The Gillman suit is just REALLY good.  It's the best full body creature suit that I'm aware of until like the late 70s or early 80s..  In fact, I'd say it is in the same ballpark as any creature suits made in the modern era. 

Cheers  Inspired by this comment, I subjected introduced my 12 y.o. son to The Creature From the Black Lagoon yesterday.  I told him it was essential to his appreciation of movies that he see the Gillman suit in action.  What particularly amused me was the two or three points where he turned to me and said, "That was CGI, right?"  Um, no honey.  Which lead to a discussion of what techniques were available at the time.  When I mentioned matte paintings he went blank.  So now we are slated to watch Forbidden Planet at the earliest opportunity.   TeddyR

OH: and he decided that the Gillman was up there with the Alien suit.   Smile

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2010, 10:38:09 AM »

I've always held the opinion that the carpet monster FX in THE CREEPING TERROR still works today. Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Pilgermann

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2010, 11:03:06 AM »

I think that the effects in The Invisible Man (1933) are still pretty cool.

Skip to the 5 minute mark if you don't want to watch the whole thing.
Small | Large

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2010, 11:07:22 AM »

And the films that inspired me to create this thread, The Creature From the Black Lagoon and its two sequels.  The Gillman suit is just REALLY good.  It's the best full body creature suit that I'm aware of until like the late 70s or early 80s..  In fact, I'd say it is in the same ballpark as any creature suits made in the modern era. 

Cheers  Inspired by this comment, I subjected introduced my 12 y.o. son to The Creature From the Black Lagoon yesterday.  I told him it was essential to his appreciation of movies that he see the Gillman suit in action.  What particularly amused me was the two or three points where he turned to me and said, "That was CGI, right?"  Um, no honey.  Which lead to a discussion of what techniques were available at the time.  When I mentioned matte paintings he went blank.  So now we are slated to watch Forbidden Planet at the earliest opportunity.   TeddyR

OH: and he decided that the Gillman was up there with the Alien suit.   Smile

The Gill-Man up there with the Alien suit? How cool, lol  Cheers 

The boy has a good eye for appreciation.  And I think that we should also mention The Creature's cousin to the south, The Monster From Piedras Blancas. He was pretty cool-looking too!

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
voltron

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2010, 11:59:39 AM »

Kinda obvious, but Dawn Of The Dead ('78) is still tops.

Small | Large

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2010, 12:06:24 PM »

Terminator 2
20k Under The Sea

Small | Large
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 03:04:53 PM by Trekkie313 » Logged
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

Quality FX Work goes way back....

Metropolis (1927)

The Work of Georges Méliès

Actually many of the silent era films create remarkably memorable monsters and nightmare imagery quite unlike any other period of film.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2010, 03:49:57 PM »

Quality FX Work goes way back....

Metropolis (1927)

The Work of Georges Méliès

Actually many of the silent era films create remarkably memorable monsters and nightmare imagery quite unlike any other period of film.

Great examples Jase, here's another:

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2010, 10:37:15 PM »

My first thoughts too were the original King Kong and Lon Chaney.

Others I thought of:

Topper (1937) - Though certainly the in-camera filming they did makes the ghost effects, what makes it believable is the incredible abilities of Roland Young as Topper.

Nobody has mentioned The Wizard of Oz?

X: the Unknown (1956) - I always thought some of the effects were fairly gruesome and well done for its time.

Star Trek TOS - No matter how corny the sets may be, the transporter effects are always cool.

Giannetto De Rossi - Not a movie, a make-up artist. His work can be summed up by such scenes as the breast ripping scene in Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974), any of many scenes from Zombie (1979) including the throat ripping scenes and splinter in the eye scene, and any of the cannibalism scenes as well the impalement from Cannibal Apocalypse (1980).

Of course, what would any mention of make-up effects and special effects be without mention of Ton Savini, who not only created some of horrordom's most celebrated make-up effects, but perhaps became an unofficial spokesperson for Rice Crispies.  TeddyR

My two picks, which have never changed over several years, of two movies which will never be equaled in terms of special effects are John Carpenter's The Thing and Blade Runner.

A late mention, and perhaps an odd place one would think to find special effects, but my mention is The Beverly Hillbillies TV Show. During the first season (1962) Max Baer played a second character, Jethro's sister Jethrine. Max Baer played the role, but the voice for Jethrine was provided by Linda Henning, and seamlessly dubbed.

I don't know how far back dubbing someone's voice for someone else's goes, but in Goldfinger, the voice we are used to hearing as Auric Goldfinger was actually dubbed as the actor has a heavy German accent.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2010, 05:30:25 AM »

Giannetto De Rossi - Not a movie, a make-up artist. His work can be summed up by such scenes as the breast ripping scene in Let Sleeping Corpses Lie (1974), any of many scenes from Zombie (1979) including the throat ripping scenes and splinter in the eye scene, and any of the cannibalism scenes as well the impalement from Cannibal Apocalypse (1980).

Didn't he also do the makeup FX for City of The Living DeadBuggedout Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2010, 03:40:29 PM »

My two picks, which have never changed over several years, of two movies which will never be equaled in terms of special effects are John Carpenter's The Thing and Blade Runner.

Every time I see Carpenter's The Thing I am amazed that it's as old as I am.  You consider the effects in that movie, and there are a few places where they're not great (Wilford putting his fingers into the POTUS' face in that scene just never looks right to me - what is supposed to be happening there?  And the cut to and from Palmer right when he starts his freakout is pretty rough too - he goes from normal to "face ready to pop" in one really quick camera flicker), but on the whole the creature scenes are absolutely incredible.  If they were to remake that movie today it would look TERRIBLE.  It would probably be done in really crappy CGI, but even if it were done with top-notch CGI, you can still tell it's CGI.  I have yet to see a CGI scene that doesn't look at least a little bit like CGI to me.

And if you wanted to do a live effect without CGI, I doubt there are even any special effects guys left in the business that have any experience with real live effects like the ones in that movie.

CGI has made directors think they can put whatever they want into their movies but they don't realize that if you can't fake it in the real world, it's going to look weird to the viewer because they'll know instinctively that what they're seeing is a BS camera trick.  Movies like The Thing actually make me queasy with how realistic they are - that's the mark of success.

Quote from:
I don't know how far back dubbing someone's voice for someone else's goes, but in Goldfinger, the voice we are used to hearing as Auric Goldfinger was actually dubbed as the actor has a heavy German accent.

Isn't that the same voice guy that did like ALL of the non-Bond voices in the 60s and 70s?  Tanaka from You Only Live Twice, Largo from Thunderball, Dr No, etc.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2010, 08:30:43 PM »

Ghostbusters, that film holds up immensely special effects wise. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Old effects work that still holds up « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.