Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:26:14 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question...  (Read 2371 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: November 14, 2010, 01:18:34 AM »

Remember those old exercise machines that had a strap that went around the user's back.  It vibrated back & forth like crazy.

What were those things called and what exactly were they supposed to do?
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 02:48:55 AM »

I had one of those things! I found it in sequestered in my grandma's basement one day. Since I'm a bit of a connoisseur of the absurd I had to move it into my room for the sheer ridiculousness of it. I'd show it off, too. Putting that belt around yourself and turning the machine on just leaves you laughing and laughing.

The general idea is that the shaking will do the exercise for you. Lose weight by doing nothing! It doesn't work, it just shakes you. I burned more calories just laughing then the actual machine would lose for me. Think of it this way. You are not going to lose any weight sitting in a massage chair, other than the energy you burn just to stay alive.

While trying to Google a name for the thing, I found that "vibrational exercise" is still around. It still doesn't work, but hope springs eternal for the eternally lazy.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:45:49 PM »

Oh My God! I know the machine you're talking about. I think it was popular in the 60's and 70's. What a strange contraption. It's one of those obscure bits of American kitsch, like teepee hotels and tobacco store wooden Indians.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 03:14:07 PM »

There's a great scene in Dwain Esper's MANIAC (1934) where a blonde 'beauty' sings La Cucharacha while being shaken by one of these reducing belts.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »

I think there was one in an episode of Get Smart.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 12:21:16 PM »

Guys like John Harvey Kellogg were experimenting with vibration therapy and "passive exercise" way back in the 1800s.

I'm pretty sure the vibrating belt (at least the variation we all know) was invented in the 1920s. It probably would have faded away into obscurity if it hadn't looked so damn funny. How many of us would be familiar with it if not for its appearances in old cartoons.

Although it never actually went away. No matter how goofy some past medical theory is, they all still have their adherents. And the mail-order fitness industry never lets anything go to waste. They just keep updating the look and what it's supposed to do for you.
http://www.bioenergiser.com/Vibra-Massager-p-225.html

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 02:01:46 PM »

Sure, that's all fine, but you're not going to get real results unless you actually exercise. What I don't get is if someone is going to spend X amount of time standing and getting their guts jiggled, why not spend the same amount of time on an exercise bike? It's not all that painful to your precious lazy muscles and it might actually yield results.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 02:13:03 PM »

I'm not suggesting there's any merit to the thing, just noting that the crackpot theory behind it goes back at least 150 years, and never completely went away.

I agree, standing in one spot while a motorized belt rapidly jiggles your pelvic region can't possibly be more enjoyable than real...... hmmmmm..... Maybe people do get something out of it after all.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Paquita

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 02:15:05 PM »

Sure, that's all fine, but you're not going to get real results unless you actually exercise. What I don't get is if someone is going to spend X amount of time standing and getting their guts jiggled, why not spend the same amount of time on an exercise bike? It's not all that painful to your precious lazy muscles and it might actually yield results.

I'm not an expert, but I think the idea of the shakey-vibraband was for women to lose weight without getting all muscley (even thought it didn't work).  I wasn't around 50 years ago, but I've got some old bittys in my family that were and it sounds like women were afraid of exercising because they thought they'd end up looking like popeye with a wig.   
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 03:31:12 PM »

I'm not an expert, but I think the idea of the shakey-vibraband was for women to lose weight without getting all muscley (even thought it didn't work).  I wasn't around 50 years ago, but I've got some old bittys in my family that were and it sounds like women were afraid of exercising because they thought they'd end up looking like popeye with a wig.   

That explanation makes perfect sense.

Oh, and Andy, I wasn't finding fault with your post. I didn't mean it to come across that way.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:17 PM »

There's one of these machines in the music video for "Weird Al" Yankovic's song "Dare to Be Stupid."  Make sense.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.