Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:12:16 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question for Raffine and others: films made in your home town? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Question for Raffine and others: films made in your home town?  (Read 2743 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« on: November 15, 2010, 01:25:08 AM »

Just for you: the cemetery shown in City of The Living Dead looks to me like the famous cemetery that is in your city. I have only seen pics of it online and in the film Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil ~ if I had actually been there, I would of course have come to see you. Is that eerie looking cemetery the one in your town?  Smile
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:39:12 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »

My initial response was 'Naw, probably that's some old European cemetary - but - a check on IMDB does indeed reveal parts of this was filmed in Savannah!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0081318/locations

Nice catch! I'll have to rewatch that one now! I live just a couple of miles from Bonaventure Cemetary, which is probably where they filmed.

According to IMBD GREAT WHITE (1981) and BOGEYMAN (2005) were also filmed here. I already knew worm classic SQUIRM was filmed just outside of Savannah in Port Wentworth. Alas, the cafe where the hero gets a wormy egg creme is no longer there. I checked...

Most tourist want to see where MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN and FORREST GUMP were filmed.  I think there's a distinct possibility for an 'alternate movie tour' of the city.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 01:36:15 AM »

Alas, the cafe where the hero gets a wormy egg creme is no longer there. I checked...

If "wormy egg creme" is on their menu, I'm not surprised that they closed their doors.  Buggedout Wink As far as I know, Glory was also filmed in Savannah and some interiors scenes in Mercer House.

The only films of any note that were shot in Pretoria were Tigers Don't Cry [Target of An Assassin] and the opening scenes of The Ghost and The Darkness ~ my hometown in Zimbabwe was the location for several scenes in Richard Attenborough's Dry Cleaning......[cough] I mean Cry Freedom.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 01:39:54 AM »

Any films made in anyone else's home town?  Smile

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 08:43:06 AM »

Any films made in anyone else's home town?  Smile

These pertain to where I grew up, not to where I live now.

NELL was filmed one county over, and one scene was filmed in the hospital where I lived.  My cousin was administrator of that hospital for a while, but not at that time.  When my wife and I saw NELL at the local theater, a bunch of nurses who work there were also in the audience and they cheered really loud at that 2 seconds of film.  It was incongruous for what was going on with Nell at the time (when she was essentially catatonic and being brought to the hospital).

Also, GRIZZLY (1976) was filmed nearby, mostly in and around the resort community where my Mom worked.  Basically a JAWS rip-off, there was one scene with a girl taking a 'shower' in a waterfall, which is a rather well-known water fall in the area.  A good friend of my family was one of the "local guides" that showed the crew how to get there (it was a 4x4 trail at the time) and other 'remote' locations.

And though it was not my home town, I did recognize the mountain/woods areas in THE FUGITIVE since I have done a fair bit of camping in the area where those scenes were filmed.  I doubted myself a bit at first, but when I researched it, I found out yes, that's exactly where they filmed those scenes!

I lived in the town near where THE PATRIOT was filmed at the time.  It was a big deal, and we had constant "Mel Gibson sightings" in the local paper; these got annoying after about the first two days.  I was an LEO at the time, and worked a burglary at the warehouse where the crew/production team stored gear, did set-up for the on-location shots and did second unit work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »

Well two films have been filmed in Mechanicsburg PA from what I know of.  The first one was the film Lucky Numbers which was filmed at the local Denny's near the outskirts of the town.

The other film was Girl Interrupted which there was some filming in the middle of the town, which from where the shooting was is about a mile and half from where I live.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:21 AM »

Oh I've gone on about this before, I'm sure.   Wink

Lots of films shot at least partially in Toronto.  One of my favourite memories is of walking home after a night class and seeing the sky behind the library all aglow: they were filming for Battle Beyond the Stars and that was such fun to know.

The airport scenes for Amelia were shot just minutes from us.  The stars (Richard Gere and Hilary Swank) stayed at local B&B's and the town was agog - especially since many got to be extras for the crowd scenes.

The feed mill in the next town was used in a film in 2002 - it was standing in for the rural south in some scenes for a Whoopi Goldberg/Danny Glover film, Good Fences.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:50:50 AM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Paquita

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »

I'm sure there's more films than I can count that were filmed in Chicago, but there was a lot of hub-bub at work about the Nicholas Cage movie The Weather Man since there was supposed to be some filming right outside our building.. we didn't see anything but they did leave some fake snow on the corner from a night filiming.

Parts of the most recent Batman and Transformer movies were also filmed near my work.  There was actually an e-mail from our Corporate Security assuring everyone that the Transformer robots are mostly CGI and there is no cause for concern about giant transformers stomping around the city.  There was some prop debris being kept in a big empty lot about a block away from our building... that was kind of cool to see. 
Hammock Rider

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 10:05:02 AM »

There are tons of movies filmed at least partly in Chicago. I have watched the filming of these:

Color of Money
Dark Knight
Blues Brothers
League of Their Own
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Untouchables
The Fugitive

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 11:39:31 AM »

Oh I've gone on about this before, I'm sure.   Wink

Lots of films shot at least partially in Toronto.  One of my favourite memories is of walking home after a night class and seeing the sky behind the library all aglow: they were filming for Battle Beyond the Stars and that was such fun to know.

The airport scenes for Amelia were shot just minutes from us.  The stars (Richard Gere and Hilary Swank) stayed at local B&B's and the town was agog - especially since many got to be extras for the crowd scenes.

The feed mill in the next town was used in a film in 2002 - it was standing in for the rural south in some scenes for a Whoopi Goldberg/Danny Glover film, Good Fences.

Probably the one thing in all the Resident Evil movies I really enjoyed was that Raccoon City was basically Toronto. And we got to see Toronto nuked at the end, with City Hall at ground zero.
Small | Large

As for my hometown, I've mentioned before that parts of Trapped in Paradise were filmed in the area. The covered bridge in the movie is a few minutes' drive from where I grew up. I've been there countless times, driven past even more, and even rode my bike there a couple of times as a teenager, photographed a wedding party pretty much right where the actors are standing, and participated in Christmas caroling inside the bridge a couple of times. Think of that if any of you get stuck watching Trapped in Paradise.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 02:06:19 PM »

I got a good one. Masters of the Universe with Dolph Lundgren was shot on location in my home town of Whittier, California. Part of the movie takes place in an American small town, and Whittier has residential districts with historical homes that resemble older rural homes, and a main drag with historical buildings that resemble many a small town Main Street.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 03:04:33 PM »

RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD was partly shot here in Louisville.

Also, most of William Girdler's films, including ASYLUM OF SATAN and ABBY (I could almost swear I saw my grandmother's old house in a background shot).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2010, 04:28:23 PM »

Numerous films were shot in the Portland Metro area.  Some:

Dr. Giggles (1992)
The Hunted (2003)
Unhinged (1982)
Twilight (2008)
Extraordinary Measures (2010), which was partially filmed at work!  The crew had pretty much packed up and left by the time I got there..
My Own Private Idaho (1991)
Coraline (2009) was created here.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Question for Raffine and others: films made in your home town? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.