Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:26:35 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Shop On Black Friday? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do You Go Out Shopping On Black Friday?
Yes, every year I take it on full force. - 1 (4.8%)
I've been out once every few years. - 2 (9.5%)
I've been out here and there but not a whole lot. - 3 (14.3%)
The very thought of wrestling with morons just to get in the store is enough to make me want to puke.  If I have to puke, I'll stay home.   - 15 (71.4%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Do You Shop On Black Friday?  (Read 8702 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2010, 11:19:22 AM »

I'm never really all that aware of sales. I usually start out wanting to buy something, then see if anybody has it on sale, and then get it from wherever makes the most sense. Black Friday, Boxing Day and whatever else don't interest me. In general, I try to avoid big stores and malls as much as possible from early November to mid-January. I hate driving and parking in heavy traffic, I hate long lines, and I hate crowds. I get what I need from local stores, or I order it online.

If I need to get something from a department store during the Christmas shopping season, I'll take advantage of holiday hours. I've driven 45 minutes at 3am to a Wal Mart that was open 24 hours for the holidays. Best Christmas shopping experience I've had. Just me and about a dozen other misanthropes with the store all to ourselves.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2010, 12:12:57 PM »

Last year I went to Walmart on Black Friday evening but it was mainly just to get a few items for the house.  I've never waiting so long to buy paper towels.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2010, 03:01:48 PM »

There was not an option of "Would Rather drink boiling goat urine" So I just picked option #4, I don't need ANYTHING that bad.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2010, 06:47:29 PM »

I have never shopped on Black Friday, but last year I WORKED on Black Friday - seasonal position in retail.  It was pretty awful, but to be honest, the DAY AFTER CHRSTIMAS was worse!   I worked in customer service/returns.  I couldn't wait to go home that day ....  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

Hold onto your dreams ....
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2010, 07:05:09 PM »

I have never shopped on Black Friday, but last year I WORKED on Black Friday - seasonal position in retail.  It was pretty awful, but to be honest, the DAY AFTER CHRSTIMAS was worse!   I worked in customer service/returns.  I couldn't wait to go home that day ....  Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout
Wow thats another day to discuss.  Return day.  Actually, I usually always go out on that day to return the crap people got me I don't want.  Yep, I'm pretty shallow. 

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 10:02:09 PM »

Last year I went to Walmart on Black Friday evening but it was mainly just to get a few items for the house.  I've never waiting so long to buy paper towels.

That's the worst. Stopping to pick up some little household item and finding yourself in the middle of a seasonal shopping frenzy. Used to happen to me when I lived in the city, but not so much now that going to the mall is always a special trip. I used to pull into an insanely busy parking lot and think "Oh crap, I forgot." There's something extra frustrating about shopping in a crowded mall when you're not part of it. I wish everybody who is just doing their regular shopping could have an armband marking them as non-combatants, and all the Christmas shoppers and bargain hunters would have to clear a path.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 10:59:59 PM »

Person I know is going to be working retail in the computer department on Black Friday at Best Buy.  She's extremely worried because she works right away at the morning and all the way until 3 in the afternoon.  What I recommended to her was to get a good riot shield.  Hope that helps her.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 11:22:36 PM »

I've made it out a couple of times, but I generally try to avoid it if possible.  I generally try to get most stuff before Thanksgiving, hell, usually around Halloween if possible.  And, usually, I generally try to stick to gift cards.  In some instances, the cards are to specific stores/restaurants I know a person likes: Ruby Tuesday, Applebee's, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, etc.  In other cases, I get a general gift card to a specific mall, as the person can use the card in ANY store in the mall, whether it's the dollar store, a restaurant, FYE, GameStop, Hot Topic, etc.  Only time I don't buy a card is if the person requests something SPECIFIC.  I learned it's best this way, as you search endlessly to find 'the perfect gift', only for the person to NOT want said gift, exchange it, and get store credit or cash.

But, the past few years I've actually had to work Black Friday, so by the time I'm done around 4 or so, I don't have the energy to head out.

On a side note, my first job out of high school was working the Lay-A-Way section of K-Mart, hired in November of 2002.  I've never seen such craziness in one location than the lay a way section I worked.  I don't think ANY of us got a chance to take a lunch break.  But the boss ordered some take out from the restaurant across the lot for us for dinner.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2010, 09:31:49 AM »

I've also spent many years in the Retail Trenches and that put me off shopping Black Friday for good. It can be ugly and even nasty and people shopping for Christmas often display no Christmas spirit whatsoever. Besides I'm a pretty leisurely guy by nature and Black Friday shopping is anything but. Nope it's pre-Thanksgiving shopping or the good, ol' internet for me.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 09:33:58 AM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2010, 09:40:44 AM »

There was not an option of "Would Rather drink boiling goat urine" So I just picked option #4, I don't need ANYTHING that bad.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2010, 11:39:21 AM »

I work on Black Friday. 
In a toy store.
pity me.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2010, 12:23:48 PM »

I used to work for a retail chain who was kind of second in the line of fire when it came to the Black Friday rush.  They specialized in sales on wrapping paper, stocking stuffers, etc.  So when stores like Walmart were dying down, this store chain would picking up the second wave.  Being a part timer I of course caught that from 3 PM on and believe me, people were beyond grumpy by the time they got to the store.  And of course the store I worked for was beyond noctorious for NOT having a single ad item in stock.

DarkSider's Realm

Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »

Person I know is going to be working retail in the computer department on Black Friday at Best Buy.  She's extremely worried because she works right away at the morning and all the way until 3 in the afternoon.  What I recommended to her was to get a good riot shield.  Hope that helps her.

The Electronics Dept is the busiest place on Black Friday.  A riot shield is not a bad idea!

Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »

I work on Black Friday. 
In a toy store.
pity me.

You poor thing .... Buggedout Buggedout Buggedout

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2010, 06:59:41 PM »

Yes.  My wife and I usually get to the Mall between 5 and 6 a.m. and we are usually out of there by 10 a.m. at the latest.  That's when the crowds start to get heavy, so we leave.  Generally, I don't buy much.  I end up doing most of my shopping online.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Shop On Black Friday? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.