Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:25:18 AM
713333 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Shop On Black Friday? « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do You Go Out Shopping On Black Friday?
Yes, every year I take it on full force. - 1 (4.8%)
I've been out once every few years. - 2 (9.5%)
I've been out here and there but not a whole lot. - 3 (14.3%)
The very thought of wrestling with morons just to get in the store is enough to make me want to puke.  If I have to puke, I'll stay home.   - 15 (71.4%)
Total Voters: 21

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Do You Shop On Black Friday?  (Read 8696 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2010, 08:34:48 PM »

I worked in a photo lab during the later part of my retail tenure and we did those friggin' photo Christmas cards people send out obnoxiously every year.  The stupid printer that added the text on the card would always f*ck up and we'd have to reprint the pictures.  Then we'd get the people who would swear they saw a small dust spot and demand we reprint them again.  All I felt like saying is, "Look, people are going to get this photo card, look at it once quickly, put it on their fridge until it falls off and ends up in a crevice between the kitchen counter and the fridge.  That way your ugly family's face will stare up at the next home owner's face and they'll wonder who the hell the "Smiths" are..."  

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2010, 10:33:59 PM »

I work on Black Friday. 
In a toy store.
pity me.

You have my sympathies, I worked at a Toys R Us for two years. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 03:23:23 AM »

This is what I did last year and will be doing again this year:   Smile   Thumbup
(that's me running the camera, by the way)

NSFW due to strong language
Small | Large

I've been advertising the heck out of my upcoming Black Friday Skirmish and my official tagline is, "Why go shopping when you can shoot your enemies!?"

« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 03:28:08 AM by Ash » Logged
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2010, 09:35:25 AM »

Every bit as violent as Black Friday shopping, but cheaper, safer and more fun.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
3mnkids

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2010, 03:21:10 PM »

This is why I don't shop black Friday.. crazy ass people.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/11/19/1933722/fla-couple-camping-outside-store.html
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Black Friday is still a week away, but a southwest Florida couple is lining up early for the biggest shopping day of the year.

Lorie and Ryan Davenport set up a large blue tent outside a Best Buy store in St. Petersburg on Wednesday. They plan to camp out for more than a week hoping to be first in line. Store managers gave their blessing.

The Davenports are still narrowing down the shopping list, but said they might buy a big screen TV or something for the computer.

They Davenports plan to stay in line by day and another family will relieve them at night.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 04:06:39 PM »

So, two people sitting in front of a store for 12 hours a day for over a week is worth saving maybe a few hundred dollars? Did they think that through at all?

---------------------
BTM

« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 10:49:24 PM »

So, two people sitting in front of a store for 12 hours a day for over a week is worth saving maybe a few hundred dollars? Did they think that through at all?

Dude, we had people camping out by theaters for weeks in order to get tickets to the latest Star Wars movie, does this REALLY surprise you? 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 11:14:53 PM »

One thing I dislike about Black Friday: Rude ass customers.

Just cause you're stupid enough to go out shopping at 3AM and doing it non-stop til midnight doesn't give you the right to be rude to the people trying to HELP you in your quest.  You brought that stress on yourself by putting yourself out there just for a couple of bucks to be saved.  I get trying to be cost conscious, but still. 

Granted, I don't really deal with 'retail' much right now.  I work in a restaurant.  But, we're in a prime location that gets EXTREMELY busy on Black Friday, as from 6AM to about roughly 8PM we get hit with a nonstop line of customers stopping in throughout the day in their quest to go shopping.  Plus, we get people stopping in to buy gift cards for their relatives.  I've seen some nasty, nasty people come in, have a horrible personality, disrespect and make fun of the waitstaff, order a big check for $80 or more, then leave a $1 tip.  Waiters/servers at my job get $2.43 an hour.  Having a full station in addition to all the side work involved, and then only getting a dollar tip for a big $80 meal in uncalled for.  Not for nothing, but I've never ever left a $1 tip in any capacity, even if I only stop in to get a soda or cup of coffee.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2010, 09:31:54 AM »

Dude, we had people camping out by theaters for weeks in order to get tickets to the latest Star Wars movie, does this REALLY surprise you? 

It's one thing to make the effort to see the first showing of a movie you're excited about. I wouldn't do it, but it's a matter of how much it's worth to someone personally. Saving money on a big TV is something you can put a precise dollar value on. You know how much it costs before and after the sale, and there's a limit to how low the price can go. The value of camping out in line is an objective thing in this case.

It could be that they have a list of thousands of dollars in merchandise, but being first in line is only going to be an advantage for the first couple of items they can get to. Let's say they manage to save $300 they would not have saved had they not been camped out, and they spent 84 hours in line. That's just a little over $3.50 an hour, which is less than half the minimum wage in Florida. They seriously undervalued their time. Even accounting for taxes, moonlighting at almost any crappy temporary job could have gotten them the same thing with less inconvenience.

People are funny. They understand what their time is worth when it relates to an hourly wage, but other than that, they don't see their time as an expense. Come to think of it, did these people take time off work to wait in line? They don't sound like they're unemployed, which would have taken this to a whole other level of dumb.

---------------------
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2010, 01:16:02 AM »

I've been to a few of those big shopping to midnight sale days although I'm not sure if there's called Black Fridays around here. Anyways, they were very overwhelming and it just felt like you were in a sea of humanity and could get sweep away by it at any moment. After a couple of times and failing to get anywhere near to what I wanted to get a good look at, I decided to avoid those days from then thereafter...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
3mnkids

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2010, 12:49:59 PM »

Okay, I may need to take back what I said earlier in the thread   Lookingup   I just read that target and wal mart will have Halo Reach on sale for 35.00 and wal mart will also have Fable 3 for 35.00.. I may go in the afternoon when its(hopefully) not as crazy and maybe there will be a copy of each left.    TeddyR

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Shop On Black Friday? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.