Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:42:57 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Poll: Most Republicans don’t believe in climate change « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Poll: Most Republicans don’t believe in climate change  (Read 31163 times)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2010, 02:26:38 AM »

And what continually amazes ME is that folks with backgrounds in science, law, medicine, history and from a whole heap of other walks of life continue to post on a BAD MOVIES forum.   Cheers

There's something poetic in that, I find...   Smile

Well, there's no academic journals dedicated to the Z-grade aspects of cinema.

Actually, I'd love to see that. Especially if the arguments were as vituperative as science arguments tend to get. Oh, letters to the editor, extensively cited, arguing the merits of Ted V. Mikels' filmography. If you think people get up in arms about Shakespeare interpretations, wait until you hear them argue, passionately, about a movie like "The Worm Eaters."

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2010, 09:37:29 AM »

Especially if they act like college drama teachers and use all sorts of fancy, pseudopsychological terms to discuss the motivations of the Cable Repairmen in
THE COWBOY KILLER.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »

Especially if they act like college drama teachers and use all sorts of fancy, pseudopsychological terms to discuss the motivations of the Cable Repairmen in
THE COWBOY KILLER.

Hey, now you're starting to get into MY field (English). Perhaps I should start doing Literary criticisms of cinematic messterpieces such as Sleepaway Camp or The Wild Women of Wongo. The only problem is that nobody really reads Literary criticisms, so why bother?  TongueOut

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Bill Williams
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 12:03:29 AM »

No surprise. Republican voters still believe i trickle down economics and that putting people in prison for smoking marijuana is a good idea. It's easy to see that they'd be stupid enough to deny human influenced climate change.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2010, 12:08:59 AM »

No surprise. Republican voters still believe i trickle down economics and that putting people in prison for smoking marijuana is a good idea. It's easy to see that they'd be stupid enough to deny human influenced climate change.
Ah, STFU.  TeddyR

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »

Hmm well whether caused by humans or not (I'm not sure it's just caused by humans or a natural process of nature), climate change certainly does seem to be happening. The difference between winters here are pretty evident to me, I've never seen winters so mild as we get nowadays where we rarely even seem to get much snow anymore yet south of us and over in Europe, they seem to get far more snow and colder, harsher weather - more what we were used to here for so long. We had the worst hurricane (Igor) in over a century here that did considerable damage this last year and I honestly do believe we do need to be preparing for more such weather occurences in the future. I think the whole world does need to be preparing for the potential of more devastating weather...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
BTM

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 02:31:57 AM »

Interesting point though, I think a lot of the cynicism comes from the fact that it wasn't too long ago that many environmental groups were telling the world that we were on the verge of global COOLING.  

http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm

They said that the temperature was going to drop, and we were all going to enter a new Ice Age.  

In addition, many environmental groups have been just churning out one doomsday scenario after another, completely downplaying (or ignoring altogether) all the strides that HAVE been made when it comes to improving technology, tighter regulations, and positive steps forward environmentally.  For instance, many people predicted the United States (and the rest of the planet) would began starving itself to death in the late EIGHTIES because of overpopulation and that we need to stop having kids right away.  But, SURPRISE!  Turns out new technologies and advances in farming that could not have been dreamed of decades ago vastly increased the food supply.

Course, then many of the Doomsday theories just pushed their time line back a few decades and repeated their claims.

Since a lot of environmental groups rely on DONATIONS to keep them going, you're NEVER apt to hear anything but bad news when it comes to the current state of the world.  

And then there's the factor that a lot of people are cynical about climate change because flat out they don't like what they perceive as the hypocritical stance of Limousine Liberals who tell people they need to "cut back" on things in order to help the environment, while they themselves travel around in PRIVATE jets and live in mansions.  (As has been famously pointed out, Al Gore's mansions use up more power than the city in which the mansions reside.)

Now, again, that in and of itself, doesn't necessarily invalidate the idea or the validity of Global Warming, but you can see why it could cause some backlash against the idea.

Similar to say, oh, I don't know... a top religious figure being caught in an affair would produce a lot of cynicism toward whatever religion said figure practiced (although some types of scandals tend to get way more media attention than others.)

And the allegory (if you'll pardon the pun) isn't as far off as you might think, considering Al Gore is actually regarded as a prophet by some.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 02:22:38 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2010, 11:06:07 AM »

Interesting point though, I think a lot of the cynicism comes from the fact that it wasn't too long ago that many environmental groups were telling the world that we were on the verge global COOLING.

Jeez, global cooling, global warming...will someone in Congress pick a setting and leave the fu**in' thing alone?

http://denisdutton.com/cooling_world.htm

They said that the temperature was going to drop, and we were all going to enter a new Ice Age.

Yeah, most likely our "entry" into the new Ice Age will be another Ice Age movie...

Since a lot of environmental groups rely on DONATIONS to keep them going, you're NEVER apt to hear anything but bad news when it comes to the current state of the world.

Of course..they need more money for their own vices all the while they continue to act like angels of humanity warning everyone else about theirs.

And then there's the factor that a lot of people are cynical about climate change because flat out, they don't like what they perceive as the hypocritical stance of Limousine Liberals who tell people they need to "cut back" on things in order to help the environment, while they themselves travel around in PRIVATE jets and live in mansions.  (As has been famously pointed out, Al Gore's mansions uses up more power than the city in which the mansions reside.)

Private Jets!  Nancy Pelosi comes to mind. 3+million a year in taxpayer dough while another half-mil goes for executive privileges fo rher and her friends. Gee, Hillary must've bought a lot of pantsuits with that kind a' swag..

Now, again, that in and of itself, doesn't necessarily invalidate the idea or the validity of Global Warming, but you can see why it could cause some backlash against the idea.

Especially since the biggest defenders of said issues are also the biggest hypocrites, in the case of the Limousine Liberals you pointed out.

Similar to say, oh, I don't know... a top religious figure being caught in an affair would produce a lot of cynicism toward whatever religion said figure practiced (although some types of scandals tend to get way more media attention than others.)

Scandals-Clinton-Lewinsky comes to mind. Everyone says "oh that was HIS business, not ours," knowing full well that if it was a Bush or Ronald Reagan, the same people would never let them live it down.  Monica made out good though, especially with that 'wad of bills' that was left in the pocket of her evening dress.

And the allegory (if you'll pardon the pun) isn't as far off as you might think, considering Al Gore is actually regarded as a prophet by some.

yeah, really.  Lookingup

Small | Large

[/quote]

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2010, 08:50:52 PM »

Small | Large

I just had to post that !  TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2010, 10:07:13 PM »

Oh jeez, that was funny. lol  BounceGiggle

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Poll: Most Republicans don’t believe in climate change « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.