Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:20:15 AM
713348 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Wrestler « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Wrestler  (Read 2962 times)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« on: November 19, 2010, 01:11:44 AM »

Not sure if anyone else posted on this one, but I'll take my chances.

I just got to see this the other day for the 1st time since it's release, and not only was it a good movie, but I'd also like to nominate it for entry into the "most depressing movie you're ever seen" category.

This guy was used up, spit out, and had nowhere to go. Watching Mickey Rourke's character try to fit into daily life was hard to look at. The whole movie was a downer at almost every turn.

Marisa Tomei, on the other hand...woo-hoo!  Anyone know if that was really her doing her nude scenes?

And, kudos to the soundtrack: Accept's Balls To The Wall and the one scene where he was talking about how metal ruled until the 90's and Kurt Cobain was a straight nod to us middle-aged old-school bangers.   You couldn't have the 80's w\o metal!  \m/

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2010, 06:42:27 AM »

There is a thead somewhere out there on this but it was probably best to start a new one.  I love this movie, plain and simple.  The more I see it, the more I realize its probably in my top 10 of favs of all time.  I've been a fan of wrestling for years and this one strikes a chord with me.  It truly paints a gritty reality for not only out of work superstars in the business but struggling rookies who have talent but are struggling to get fame.

I used to work in a strip club as a DJ so I know all to well about the type Tomei's character is.  However, I love the paralelle with her and Rourke's character.  She knew when to quit, he didn't. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:14:04 AM »

Yes, that was all Marisa, and oh my. She still so hot that the bit where she's perceived as an older stripper who's not as appealing because she's older is hard to achieve, she looks that good.

Then again, I've always had a celebrity mini-crush on Ms. Tomei, so I'm biased.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2010, 11:56:33 AM »

Yes, that was all Marisa, and oh my. She still so hot that the bit where she's perceived as an older stripper who's not as appealing because she's older is hard to achieve, she looks that good.

Then again, I've always had a celebrity mini-crush on Ms. Tomei, so I'm biased.

Oh wow, man. Marisa looks soooo hot for her age. But. as a dirty old man myself at the ripe old age of 46, I wouldn't mind some sweet young thang around 19 or 20 dancin' in my lap either. Say one thing though, Tomei has a great shape after all these years..  hot

I've been a fan of wrestling for years and this one strikes a chord with me.  It truly paints a gritty reality for not only out of work superstars in the business but struggling rookies who have talent but are struggling to get fame.

Good one, mate. Another thing is there's a parallell between this movie and The Champ w\regard to Rourke's character trying to establish a relationship with an estranged child, and also with the ultimate fate of both athletes.

I used to work in a strip club as a DJ so I know all to well about the type Tomei's character is.  However, I love the paralelle with her and Rourke's character.  She knew when to quit, he didn't. 

True. She tried to come to her senses, but her previous snubbing of Rourke (and his daughter's alienation) left him with nothing and so like most people who feel they have nothing to lose, he went forward, knowing full-well what might happen.

A good (but sad) movie that needs to be seen.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 12:14:42 PM »

Another part of the brilliance is as a viewer, you truly feel like you are part of his life for that two hours.  For example, when he starts working in the deli and seems to have a great time with the customers.  (great scene that was mostly unscripted I've read)  Then much like his daughter, he starts to finally make a connection with the viewer and you're cheering for him to succeed.  But much like the other people in his life, he lets the viewer down.   In turn, you feel for him but you end up furious he frigged things up for himself in the long run due to his ego and wreckless behaviors.  I think the way the film was shot adds to this aspect because many times you feel like you're sitting right next to him or following him as the viewer.  Kind of like you're his wing man waiting to be let down by his actions.

However, like he says at the end, all he really was good at was his responsibilities in the ring.  You see this so many times in the way he mentors the young up and comers.  Plus his unending ability to put on a great show.   Some people are good at one thing in their life and this film sets the sad tone of what happens with that "good thing" goes away.  You are right sir, this is a very sad tale but it really makes you appreciate what you have in life in lieu of what others may lack.  

Perhaps the most sad scene to watch for me was at the autograph signing.  A bunch of past their prime wrestlers signing autographs for a handful of people.  Very sad man...very sad.  
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:22:54 PM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »

Another part of the brilliance is as a viewer, you truly feel like you are part of his life for that two hours.  For example, when he starts working in the deli and seems to have a great time with the customers.  (great scene that was mostly unscripted I've read)  Then much like his daughter, he starts to finally make a connection with the viewer and you're cheering for him to succeed.  But much like the other people in his life, he lets the viewer down.   In turn, you feel for him but you end up furious he frigged things up for himself in the long run due to his ego and wreckless behaviors.  I think the way the film was shot adds to this aspect because many times you feel like you're sitting right next to him or following him as the viewer.  Kind of like you're his wing man waiting to be let down by his actions.

You hit it, my man. That'e exactly how I felt too. It's like you took the trip with him. When he succeeded, you felt up and good, and when he hit the skids again, you were really let down, and part of you wanted to let him have it for going back to his old ways.

However, like he says at the end, all he really was good at was his responsibilities in the ring.  You see this so many times in the way he mentors the young up and comers.  Plus his unending ability to put on a great show.   Some people are good at one thing in their life and this film sets the sad tone of what happens with that "good thing" goes away.  You are right sir, this is a very sad tale but it really makes you appreciate what you have in life in lieu of what others may lack.  

Perhaps the most sad scene to watch for me was at the autograph signing.  A bunch of past their prime wrestlers signing autographs for a handful of people.  Very sad man...very sad.  

Another good analysis of the film.

I myself have seen in my own family, (as we all may have seen with our own families or friends) those who were only good at one thing, and how they reacted when they were put out to pasture when they were too old (or too set in their ways) to do anything else. 

In it's own way, this movie hits a chord with all of us.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 05:14:59 PM »

I cried.  Bluesad Cheers
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:39:52 PM »

I cried.  Bluesad Cheers

I didn't cry, but I felt really bad for the guy. I actually felt sort of hollow inside, sort of empty when every corner he turned got him into another mess he couldn't escape from.

At one point in the film, he actually looked younger after he became clean and sober, and he was looking really good. But as we know, not all stories are happy ones with good endings.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Wrestler « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.