Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 06:11:27 AM
714308 Posts in 53091 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Emotional Movie Experiences « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Emotional Movie Experiences  (Read 9135 times)
Archivist
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2010, 08:29:24 PM »

Although no way near as personal and powerful as some others' experiences here, I teared up something shocking at the scene in the first Transformers movie, with all of the Autobots streaking through the sky and landing on earth.  For some reason that moment in the movie struck a chord in me, and it appears from other people that I wasn't alone in this.

Possibly one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen, and one that haunted me so much that I had to talk to a friend about it the next day, was Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl.  It's a Chinese movie directed by Joan Chen, about a young girl who is sent to live in an farming village during Chairman Mao's redistribution of populace campaigns. 

Xiu Xiu was a city girl who longed to go back, and lives with a good-hearted man who has been emasculated during the war, and who is in love with her, but she won't have a bar of this country bumpkin.  Meanwhile, she ends up sleeping with a variety of officials who promise her that they can help her go home.  They are obviously using her, but she's so desperate that she thinks she's using them.  It ends with her having an abortion, after which she asks the farmer to set her free by killing her.  He buries her in the rock-bath he made for her earlier in the movie.

After that, I swore to never watch any remotely depressing movie ever again.  The Autobots coming to earth was a happy kind of tears.  That horrible Chinese movie was something else.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Couchtr26

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2010, 11:49:49 PM »

I have emotional moments from AI and similar movies.  It occurs not so much from the movie but the hypothetical thought you see sometimes.  That which we desire which can't occur because of powers beyond our own.  I find it sad as we can struggle and struggle but will never be able to attain.  This kind of thinking saddens me as we realize all our efforts are futile.  They are simply illusions.  The thing we desire is unobtainable and thus absent from any sense of normality.  This saddens me.  It occurs often times in family films or in certain romantic films but it gets me all the time. 

Ah, the good old days.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2010, 04:51:10 PM »

Although no way near as personal and powerful as some others' experiences here, I teared up something shocking at the scene in the first Transformers movie, with all of the Autobots streaking through the sky and landing on earth.  For some reason that moment in the movie struck a chord in me, and it appears from other people that I wasn't alone in this.

Possibly one of the most depressing movies I've ever seen, and one that haunted me so much that I had to talk to a friend about it the next day, was Xiu Xiu: The Sent Down Girl.  It's a Chinese movie directed by Joan Chen, about a young girl who is sent to live in an farming village during Chairman Mao's redistribution of populace campaigns. 

Xiu Xiu was a city girl who longed to go back, and lives with a good-hearted man who has been emasculated during the war, and who is in love with her, but she won't have a bar of this country bumpkin.  Meanwhile, she ends up sleeping with a variety of officials who promise her that they can help her go home.  They are obviously using her, but she's so desperate that she thinks she's using them.  It ends with her having an abortion, after which she asks the farmer to set her free by killing her.  He buries her in the rock-bath he made for her earlier in the movie.

After that, I swore to never watch any remotely depressing movie ever again.  The Autobots coming to earth was a happy kind of tears.  That horrible Chinese movie was something else.

I've seen this one too, and you're right, it was very depressing.

One scene that stole my breath was from The Last Samurai, when you see the Samurai coming out of the forest in the early morning mist in slo-motion, with their katanas held high.

Galloping on proud horses, their banners held high, screaming out the ancient battle cries of their ancestors, they truly evoked the image of another day, one of honor and fearless courage.  What a georgeous scene.

That's why I felt like sh*t when they were all killed at the end of the film..I SO wanted them to win.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2010, 08:11:01 PM »

Some of these might seem a bit strange but well...

Patlabor 1: The Movie: the scene where the cops are discussing change and how it seems as though the minute you stop to smell the roses and take in the scenery, another buge building or skyscraper appears blocking the horizon as though out of nowhere.

Blade Runner: the poetic farewell from Roy Batty.

2001: A Space Odyssey: when HAL sings his song.

Soylent Green: Sol goes home. The opening montage gets me too.

The Omega Man: Heston repeating the words from Woodstock

Old Yeller: had tears running down my eyes in the end.

Gojira (1954) / Godzilla: King of the Monsters: The song sung by the Japanese children.

I always feel sympathetic for the following characters too:

The Wolf Man
The Phantom of the Opera
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Godzilla (especially in Gojira 1954)
King Kong
The Phantom of the Paradise

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Emotional Movie Experiences « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.