Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:04:47 PM
714223 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Palin Phenomenon « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Author Topic: The Palin Phenomenon  (Read 48729 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2010, 12:37:57 PM »

we've got to stand with our North Korean allies

Wait, if we got North Korean allies, then how come North Korea is still a dictatorship, isn't that the opposite of what we want? Question
anyway, my psychiatrist calls her a class 2 nitwit! Buggedout

despite what many people say about Obama (He's the reason why the oil spill happened!. Pbbt, the majority of the accident goes to both BP and the Bush Admin.), he is still trying! so what if he's a DEMOCRAT! peole who hate him- is it because of his party? it doesn't make since.

yeah no.
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 01:27:06 PM »

Umaril, your words are sagely. You make some very valid points in both of your posts.

Thank you, dear friend. Nice to see some people here appreciate balanced thought.

As indifferent as I am, I simply marvel at how much clout she has achieved. Can't take that away from her.

Indeed. While some of it is PR-generated, yet more of it is earned by her and her alone.

What I do find amazing is that I have yet to speak to a woman who likes her. Seriously. And I work in an environment that is very predominantly conservative Republican. Men like Sarah Palin. Which is what fascinates me the most. You brought up a point that people who hate her are turned off by strong women. If that's the case, why is she hated by so many women? Is it because she is loved by so many men? Is it fuel for the stereotype that women are competitive over men?

This is a good question with many answers. Where do I begin? Bear with me for a few paragraphs.

Why do men like her so much?

For one, Palin is an ally of men and their traditional values, such as guns, hunting, and 4x4 trucks and 2 week long trips to the mountains.  And she's still pretty good looking to boot!

She is just as home with a 00 buck Remington 870 12 gauge, as she is being in the kitchen cooking for friends and family, and with little or no transitional difficulty. She's
an all-round woman who shatters the traditional female mold in a way previous women couldn't.

Why do women hate her?

She can relate to men on issues that your typical everyday woman can't (as I stated above)  This may threaten some women as they feel their power over traditional domestic and political issues is slipping.  The voice of Hollywood and that of Clinton and Pelosi are no longer the only ones on issues such as gun rights and abortion (to name a few.)

Lastly, (and a big one here) many women may see Palin as a traitor for her defense of these things, and not the traditional female values and roles such women play. They feel let down that she's equally at home on both sides of the battle of the sexes, and not just for women.

Just a few thoughts.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2010, 04:12:27 PM »

If the country elects this nit wit then the country deserves everything she will do to it.   It wont matter to me because I'll be living in Canada.   Thumbup

If she does get elected, be sure to say hi to some of my relatives, because I'm sure they'll be close behind you as they try to leave as well.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2010, 01:20:48 AM »

Umaril, your words are sagely. You make some very valid points in both of your posts.

Thank you, dear friend. Nice to see some people here appreciate balanced thought.

As indifferent as I am, I simply marvel at how much clout she has achieved. Can't take that away from her.

Indeed. While some of it is PR-generated, yet more of it is earned by her and her alone.

What I do find amazing is that I have yet to speak to a woman who likes her. Seriously. And I work in an environment that is very predominantly conservative Republican. Men like Sarah Palin. Which is what fascinates me the most. You brought up a point that people who hate her are turned off by strong women. If that's the case, why is she hated by so many women? Is it because she is loved by so many men? Is it fuel for the stereotype that women are competitive over men?

This is a good question with many answers. Where do I begin? Bear with me for a few paragraphs.

For one, Palin is an ally of men and their traditional values, such as guns, hunting, and 4x4 trucks and 2 week long trips to the mountains.  And she's still pretty good looking to boot!

She is just as home with a 00 buck Remington 870 12 gauge, as she is being in the kitchen cooking for friends and family, and with little or no transitional difficulty. She's
an all-round woman who shatters the traditional female mold in a way previous women couldn't.

Why do women hate her?

She can relate to men on issues that your typical everyday woman can't (as I stated above)  This may threaten some women as they feel their power over traditional domestic and political issues is slipping.  The voice of Hollywood and that of Clinton and Pelosi are no longer the only ones on issues such as gun rights and abortion (to name a few.)

Lastly, (and a big one here) many women may see Palin as a traitor for her defense of these things, and not the traditional female values and roles such women play. They feel let down that she's equally at home on both sides of the battle of the sexes, and not just for women.

Just a few thoughts.

Not a big fan of women, are you?

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Jim H

« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2010, 03:29:57 AM »

As of now, she's still EXTREMELY divisive and moderates despise her.  I can't see her changing this.  So, unless the republicans want to make absolutely sure they can't take the Whitehouse, there's no way she'll even get the nomination.  Maybe the next election after that she could try to turn it around, but nothing she is doing now is going to change the swing voter's opinion of her soon - and they hate her.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2010, 06:33:21 AM »

Perhaps Tamriel is overrun with Phyllis Schlafly clones.

Umaril: you seem quite impressed with Sarah P's big gun.  The 'woman with a phallus' image clearly is significant to the foundation of your opinion of her.  LOTS of women use guns Umaril.  It is not such a big deal.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
BTM

« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2010, 11:09:07 AM »

our national security policy. But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies – we're bound to by treaty....

That's right, we're bound by treaty  Cheers

Uh, okay, could she have just meant to have said, "Southern"?  

Just find it odd that when certain politicians (read: Republicans) misspeak, the media loves to endlessly replay them over and over again.  But when Democrats do it, they'll get scant mention.  Obama saying there's 57 states in the United States, that people with asthma need "breathalysers", saying Hugo Chavez rose to power because of Bush's diplomatic failures with the Latin American communities (he rose to power during CLINTON'S presidency, not Bush), Biden saying "Jobs" is a THREE letter word, Hillary telling a joke about "Ghandi" running a convenience store, I could go on and on.

Not saying Palin hasn't said some off kilter things, but I just find it interesting that, once again, the coverage of such is slanted.

In fact, the media has been pretty much against her from day ONE.  When she was first picked, the papers reported that she was, "...a mayor from a small town in Alaska", not bothering to mention until later she was also the governor.  Just about every goofy thing you can think of, the media decided to criticize and nitpick.  (OMG!  She didn't ABORT her Down Syndrome child?  Isn't that what abortion is for??)  I could fill a dozen posts about how the media was pretty much out to get her in any way possible, and the fact she's remained popular DESPITE their interference is rather amazing really.

It's especially interest considering the media constantly accuses Republicans of (among other things) being afraid of strong women, when here's a woman who got where she is by her OWN MERITS, not by simply being MARRIED to the right guy.  (Give you one guess who I'm referring to here.)  Another interesting fact, when she was elected mayor, she ran against and exposed corruption within her OWN PARTY, something I can't, to my knowledge, say that Barack has ever done, even though he comes from one of the most politically corrupt areas of the country.  

NOW, all that being said... do I think she was the best choice for Vice President?  No, not really.  I frankly would have preferred Mitt Romney.  In addition, I think it was idiotic she was quit being the governor, and I think that might hurt her in the future.  I do believe that if she attempts to get the party nomination and doesn't get it, I really hope she WON'T go to a third party, cause that will just unnecessarily split the vote.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 04:25:27 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
BTM

« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2010, 11:13:56 AM »

despite what many people say about Obama (He's the reason why the oil spill happened!. Pbbt, the majority of the accident goes to both BP and the Bush Admin.)

I've never heard any sane person blame Obama for the BP accident.  I HAVE heard a lot of (to me, valid) criticism about the fact it took him an entire MONTH to even VISIT the site of the BP disaster.  I mean, Bush was draped over the coals for Katrina (cause, you know, Presidents can cause hurricanes and stuff), but Obama somehow got a free pass in the media on this.

Small | Large

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2010, 11:49:31 AM »

Just find it odd that when certain politicians (read: Republicans) misspeak, the media loves to endless replay them over and over again.  But when Democrats do it, they'll get scant mention.  Obama saying there's 57 states in the United States, that people with asthma need "breathalysers", saying Hugo Chavez rose to power because of Bush's diplomatic failures with the Latin American communities (he rose to power during CLINTON'S presidency, not Bush), Biden saying "Jobs" is a THREE letter word, Hillary telling a joke about "Ghandi" running a convenience store, I could go on and on.

?? I've heard most of those things over and over in the right wing media.
3mnkids

« Reply #39 on: November 26, 2010, 12:13:05 PM »

despite what many people say about Obama (He's the reason why the oil spill happened!. Pbbt, the majority of the accident goes to both BP and the Bush Admin.)

I've never heard any sane person blame Obama for the BP accident.  I HAVE heard a lot of (to me, valid) criticism about the fact it took him an entire MONTH to even VISIT the site of the BP disaster.  I mean, Bush was draped over the coals for Katrina (cause, you know, Presidents can cause hurricanes and stuff), but Obama somehow got a free pass in the media on this.

It wasn't a month but 12 days and comparing Katrina to the gulf spill is not a fair comparison. People were dying after Katrina..

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2010, 01:06:08 PM »

our national security policy. But obviously, we've got to stand with our North Korean allies – we're bound to by treaty....

That's right, we're bound by treaty  Cheers

Uh, okay, could she have just meant to have said, "Southern"?  

Just find it odd that when certain politicians (read: Republicans) misspeak, the media loves to endless replay them over and over again.  But when Democrats do it, they'll get scant mention.  Obama saying there's 57 states in the United States, that people with asthma need "breathalysers", saying Hugo Chavez rose to power because of Bush's diplomatic failures with the Latin American communities (he rose to power during CLINTON'S presidency, not Bush), Biden saying "Jobs" is a THREE letter word, Hillary telling a joke about "Ghandi" running a convenience store, I could go on and on.

Not saying Palin hasn't said some off kilter things, but I just find it interesting that, once again, the coverage of such is slanted.

Of course she most likely meant to say "Southern."  I actually found the rest of the quote and its total lack of substance to be much more silly and disturbing than that little screw-up at the end.

You are right about the slanted coverage, and yes the Democrats say and do just as many stupid things as the Republicans.

If you want to know the truth about Rebublicans, you have to ask a Democrat.  If you want to know the truth about the Democrats, you have to ask a Rebublican.

They always leave out the part about how their party is every bit as ridiculous as the other.

The sad part is that Obama is no better or worse than Palin, and we the people are the real losers here because both of them will be laughing all the way to the bank, while we suffer the effects of what their parties have done to this country.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 01:20:10 PM by the ghoul » Logged
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2010, 02:04:30 PM »

what does she think we should do about North korea I wonder? sanctions? There are tons of sanctions on them already.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 02:19:35 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2010, 02:09:31 PM »

I don't think anyone in Britain likes her.

Shes shown news channels now and then and she never seems like the sharpest knife in the draw.
She has good PR though.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2010, 02:41:26 PM »

Perhaps Tamriel is overrun with Phyllis Schlafly clones.

Haha, very funny.   What was in that turkey you ate yesterday?     Twirling

Umaril: you seem quite impressed with Sarah P's big gun.  The 'woman with a phallus' image clearly is significant to the foundation of your opinion of her.  LOTS of women use guns Umaril.  It is not such a big deal.

No, but traditionally guns have always been a manly thing. But you're right, more women are into it, and no big deal.   

However, if you read my post, I was alluding to the fact that guns and abortion have always been a part of the "battle of the sexes" issue,whether we care to realize it or not.

And in her defense of these issues, Palin is a figure in the battle of the sexes as well as politics, as far as Left-Wing women go.

In the case of the Left (and not in general) many anti-gun\Pro-Choice women may feel threatened by a woman who has the attention (and support) of their man on issues they disagree with their men on.  And God forbid if you're a womanand agree with Palin.....

Add to it that Palin is good looking and can put some younger models to shame, and you have a good old dose of female jealousy that has turned more than one set of blue eyes green.

So politically, (and battle of the sexes wise) this may be one reason for the general hatred for Palin that is felt by Leftist women and other women in general. But not the only one.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2010, 02:49:52 PM »

Why do women hate her?

Just a few thoughts.

Not a big fan of women, are you?

Those are your words, not mine.  I was simply offering an explanation as to why women are turned off by Palin.  This is not a mysogynistic rant.  End of story.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Palin Phenomenon « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.