Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:38:08 AM
714260 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7737 Members
Latest Member: NannieHime
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most annoying clichés in film « previous next »
Poll
Question: What is a cliché you HATE
Physically impossible feats - 1 (3.8%)
Villians that monolauge too much - 2 (7.7%)
The name "John" - 1 (3.8%)
Action heros that NEVER get hit - 1 (3.8%)
Horror villians that keep coming back - 3 (11.5%)
Bad one-liners - 2 (7.7%)
Tripping while running from the killer - 2 (7.7%)
Nazis - 0 (0%)
RANDOM NUDITY/SEX - 2 (7.7%)
Spontaineous Romance - 6 (23.1%)
Big-Lipped Alligator Moments (Scenes that have nothing to do with the film) - 1 (3.8%)
The main protagonists are teens - 2 (7.7%)
False Alarm (Movie tricks you into thinking something is happening) - 0 (0%)
The car won't start - 3 (11.5%)
Total Voters: 26

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Most annoying clichés in film  (Read 12321 times)
Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2010, 12:05:46 AM »

I voted for the spontaneous romance too.  It can be funny sometimes, but usually its just kind of cheap.

My second most annoying cliche would be a cast of "partying teenagers." Let's see... a good girl, her love interest, a jock, his sorority girlfriend, a stoner, and a nerd they all hang out with for some reason. Throw in a rock soundtrack with no licensed groups of interest, add a scenic location, and mix to get yourself half-an-hour of wretched cinema that can safely be thrown out of any film.

I hate that too!  Every time I see a movie summary that contains "A group of college kids..." I start losing interest, which is a shame because some of those movies are really good, but I'm just so tired of seeing the same group of people in every movie.

I know I mentioned it before, but I really can't stand over-using profanity... is that a cliche?  I'm not even sure what the point is anymore because it's not shocking, and the only people I know that talk like that are unemployed, alcoholic, chain-smoking high school drop outs that don't have enough money to go see a movie anyway.

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2010, 12:20:04 AM »

The seemingly unstoppable monster is quite the movie cliche...be it a Terminator, Jason Vorhees, Michael Myers or a giant worm from Tremors...I have to admit I kind of like that one although it's definitely overdone since the late 1970s...

I voted for the action hero never gets hit (I was thinking shot) as the villains seemingly couldn't hit the side of a barn...despite usually being constantly shot at throughout a film, that just seems rather unbelievable (even Star Wars is guilty of this). I think on occasion, the hero should at least get temporarily taken down...

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Couchtr26

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:44 PM »

Instant Romance between characters.  Come on, it doesn't happen that quickly or with as few pretenses as some cases.  There must be connections and things must build up.  However, no one tries to do it and it is more for the sake of putting it in an hour and a half no attempts are made at times. 

Ah, the good old days.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2010, 11:58:57 PM »

Instant Romance between characters.  Come on, it doesn't happen that quickly or with as few pretenses as some cases.  There must be connections and things must build up.  However, no one tries to do it and it is more for the sake of putting it in an hour and a half no attempts are made at times. 

While we're at it, how about the characters who we have to be told are "in love" just deciding to have sex when most people would agree it either makes no sense for them to be having sex or it's just a really bad time for it? One-night stands do happen, sure, but it's still pretty uncommon for people to sleep with people they have no feelings toward (or who they've known for such a short period of time; sleeping together on a first date is still considered unusual at best).
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2010, 08:29:58 AM »

The car won't start is the reason that usually leads to the protagonist/ extra to run and trip and doesn't do the logical thing: Get up and run.  this is the problem with slasher film today, they're all cliched on these turn of events, which is the reason why I don't give a rats ass about them!

yeah no.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2010, 09:03:29 AM »

While we're at it, how about the characters who we have to be told are "in love" just deciding to have sex when most people would agree it either makes no sense for them to be having sex or it's just a really bad time for it? One-night stands do happen, sure, but it's still pretty uncommon for people to sleep with people they have no feelings toward (or who they've known for such a short period of time; sleeping together on a first date is still considered unusual at best).

Quote from Megaladon 3:

Girl: Boy! I am sooo tired!
Guy: Yeah... I am too.
Guy: But ya know...
Guy: How 'bout I take you home and eat your p**sy?
*Then sex*

What the hell?

claws
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »

Cars that won't start.

Another annoying cliche is the usage of military drums whenever the army is shown on screen.
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2010, 05:29:00 PM »

I second the car not starting. To me it is even more stupid than spontaneous romance. How is it that a perfectly working, well taken care of vehicle can crap out on you when a slasher is on your tale? If there is a reason for it, it doesn't bother me, but often it simply just happens.
Couchtr26

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 07:53:30 PM »

Yeah, I agree with you there Gravekeeper.  It seems that very little is done.  Sex just can occur spontaneously from any flimsy item.  For instance, have you seen 30 Days of Night: Dark Days.  They have one in there that seems kind of WTF?  What do you two really know about each other?  There are other examples of course but drawing a blank off the top of my head. 

Ah, the good old days.
Flangepart

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »

Villains who, rather kill the hero in the moment, make an overdramatic speech to try and look intimidating. Sheesh, you've got the protagonist in a weakened state, just kill the bastard already!
So true, it becomes a running gag in THE INCREDIBLES.

This Realy need multipual choice...but I went with spontanious romance. Stress based relationships never work out, Just ask Fay Wray.

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2010, 07:53:25 PM »

Villains who, rather kill the hero in the moment, make an overdramatic speech to try and look intimidating. Sheesh, you've got the protagonist in a weakened state, just kill the bastard already!
So true, it becomes a running gag in THE INCREDIBLES.

Ah yes, that's probably one of the best jokes from the movie.

"You sly dog!  You caught me monologuing!"

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Archivist

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2010, 08:31:17 PM »

Can we add 'Avatar' to that list?   TeddyR  That whole movie is an annoying cliche.

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Raffine

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2010, 08:35:28 PM »

Not exactly a cliche, but in just about any movie featuring a conversation in a moving car the driver is constantly turning their head to talk to the passenger, often to give a long meaningful look. This applies even if the car is involved in a high speed chase.

I can't concentrate on the movie 'cause I'm thinking "Watch the damn road! You're gonna hit something!".

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Couchtr26

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2010, 11:38:40 PM »

Can we add 'Avatar' to that list?   TeddyR  That whole movie is an annoying cliche.

Yes, never has so much money been spent to redo so many animated movies. 

Ah, the good old days.
claws
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 01:04:23 AM »

Here are a few more:

Small | Large
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Most annoying clichés in film « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.