Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:42:29 PM
714252 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Theater Was PACKED! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: The Theater Was PACKED!  (Read 6964 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: November 26, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »

In contrast to my other post, what films have you seen where its almost standing room only for the show? 

Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me and Goldmember.   I recall walking into Goldmember opening night ten minutes early and hardly finding a seat.  I think they oversold the room personally.

I remember seeing Spiderman opening weekend and the place being loaded with people.  Not a single seat wasn't filled.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 08:20:44 AM »

A showing of Superman Returns is the only time I've ever been in an almost full to capactiy cinema.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 09:04:49 AM »

The SA premiere of Uwe Boll's Darfur in March was a full house: no place to even swing an amoeba in there.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:02:21 AM »

Richard Linklater's SLACKER opening weekend in Austin, TX.  It was actually standing room.  I was on the isle and a middle aged woman stood next to me and watched the film.  She kept looking down at me through the whole movie like she expected me to give her my seat.  But I felt it was her fault for getting there late and not going to stand next to a gentleman. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BTM

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:17:38 AM »

When I went to see Star Trek First Contact on opening night, the first showing sold out, I had to catch one of the later ones. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 02:27:36 PM »

Spider-Man 3
Place was packed.

Norbit
I planned on seeing GhostRider, but had to go it with a friend instead. We got seats in the 3rd row near the aisle and it hurt my neck like crazy. I also spilled Coke on my leather jacket.

Alice In Wonderland 3D
I was off to the side too much.

Quantum Of Solace

Friday The 13th
Opening day.

Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 11:31:39 AM by Trekkie313 » Logged
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:33:52 PM »

1977, and the initial run of Star Wars: Episode 4 

It was mid-June, and my parents and I missed the first 2 showings (the last one at 9 PM) so the theatre had a third midnight showing and we waited in line in 90-some degree heat for a few hours until we were let in.   And as usual, the theatre was packed when we got in.

Funny, that, because on the 20th anniversary re-showing, my fiance and I and a few friends went to a local theatre, and it was virtually empty, only about 30 or so people.  Odd how things turn out.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 10:33:07 PM »

Freddy vs. Jason- Saw this twice on opening weekend.  Went to see it the night it opened, but it was completely sold out through the midnight showing.  So, the next day, a Saturday, I was down at the shore.  The boardwalk has a small, independantly owned theater.  I stopped in to see Freddy vs. Jason and it was surprisingly sold out, seeing as it was a 90 degree day at the Jersey Shore with a free beach right there.  Then, on Sunday, I came home and some friends hit me up to see it.  I was like, "Sure, I'll see it again."  We get there, and we bought the last 2 tickets.

Friday the 13th (2009 Remake)- Saw the midnight showing the day it opened.  People were tripping over each other in the aisle just to sit down.

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace- Granted, I was under the impression we were going to see Big Daddy with Adam Sandler.  I hate Star Wars.  But, we pull up to the theater, I had taken off work and had no car, so, I reluctantly bought a ticket to see Phantom Menace.  Not only was it packed full of these guys in COSTUME (The hell's up with that?) but it was dreadfully long.  Only good experience I got out of it was that I liked Jar Jar Binks cause he was funny, and everyone hated him. Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 11:46:46 PM »

It was hard to find a good seat for the following but all were great movie experiences:

Star Trek: First Contact (good atmosphere, fun time, lots of Trek fans on hand)

Jurassic Park (the best experience overall, everyone was gasping and the excitement level was high)

Terminator 2: Judgment Day (action packed film had the audience surprisingly enthralled)

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (sure the film disappointed but the atmosphere and fans made it a surprisingly interesting and fun time, waiting in line and chatting with fellow fans actually proved better than the film itself)

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 12:00:37 AM »

I remember a couple times being fortunate (or smart) enough to go early enough where I didn't have to wait so long, but by the time I got to the window the line went around the corner from the front of the theater and down a handful of blocks.  Probably Raiders Of The Lost Ark or Return Of The Jedi or something.  It definitely sold out, filled to capacity.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 03:37:49 AM »

True Lies.  When we got there, they had an usher looking around for seats for us with a flashlight.  There weren't any, so we had to leave and come back to a later showing.  Which was also totally sold out.  But this time we got seated.  And the movie was awesome.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 05:06:23 PM »

It seems to me that 20 or 30 years ago movies were much more crowded and prone to be sold out than they are now.  Maybe because today's multiplex theaters have so many screens it is hard to sell them out.  I remember quite a few times when I was younger standing in a crowded theater lobby waiting for the usher to unhook the rope and let us in.  Then it was a scramble to get a seat.  Within a few minutes ushers were walking around helping people find seats and some people had to leave and get refunds.  This hardly ever happens anymore (at least when I go to the movies).  The last really crowded movie I saw was ROCKY BALBOA on opening night.  It was packed and the audience really got into the movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 08:53:19 PM »

Norbit
I planned on seeing GhostRider, but had to go it with a friend instead. We got seats in the 3rd row near the aisle and it hurt my neck like crazy. I also spilled Coke on my leather jacket.

Thats a joke, right ?  Lookingup

People...saw..Norbit...?

packed ?

I'm gonna have to sleep with the lights on tonight, this is scary stuff... Bluesad

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 10:55:57 PM »

It seems to me that 20 or 30 years ago movies were much more crowded and prone to be sold out than they are now.  Maybe because today's multiplex theaters have so many screens it is hard to sell them out.  I remember quite a few times when I was younger standing in a crowded theater lobby waiting for the usher to unhook the rope and let us in.  Then it was a scramble to get a seat.  Within a few minutes ushers were walking around helping people find seats and some people had to leave and get refunds.  This hardly ever happens anymore (at least when I go to the movies).  The last really crowded movie I saw was ROCKY BALBOA on opening night.  It was packed and the audience really got into the movie.
I'd say that's a part of the reason.  Some places have like, 12 screens or more.

Another reason, I think, is the fact that movies cost a MINIMUM of $11, not including popcorn, soda, hot dogs, etc.  And on top, if it's 3D, it's at least $14.

Another thing, too, is the abundance of films that can be found by a few clicks of the mouse on the internet.  Same day a film opens, you can find it for free online.  Pay $15 plus food to see it in a theater, or watch at home for free with a can of beer and some pretzels? Question Buggedout

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
claws
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 01:44:34 AM »

Poltergeist

There was a line around the block, and it was a madhouse inside the theater. "Packed" was an understatement. People were standing or sitting on the floor in flocks all over the place.
The audience really got into the movie as well, which wasn't hard because Poltergeist was/is a certified crowd pleaser.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  The Theater Was PACKED! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.