Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:07:55 PM
713369 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  One really good film with one nasty reality flaw « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: One really good film with one nasty reality flaw  (Read 7208 times)
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 26, 2010, 05:48:02 PM »

Hello badmoviephiles.    A few weeks ago, I caught James Cameron's Avatar on HBO (I like to call it Horrible Body Odor BounceGiggle)  I was delighted that the makers of this film went the extra step to make the aliens appear less human.  However, this movie has one serious reality flaw. 

I was told by my brother that the planet these aliens were on was ten times the size of Earth.  If a planet was ten times as big as Earth (making it a super earth) it would also be 5 to ten times as massive.  And when a planet is 5 to ten times as massive, the gravity is 5 to ten times as strong.   On a planet with ten times the gravity, a 150 pound man would weight 1500 pounds!  Also, the fact these aliens were twice as tall as humans wouldn't be possible because the planet's gravity would severely restrict their growth.

Also, why did the aliens have blue skin?  There is no such thing as natural blue pigment.  Sure we have blue birds, but their feathers as blue, not their skin.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »

Hello badmoviephiles.    A few weeks ago, I caught James Cameron's Avatar on HBO (I like to call it Horrible Body Odor BounceGiggle)  I was delighted that the makers of this film went the extra step to make the aliens appear less human.  However, this movie has one serious reality flaw. 

I was told by my brother

Shouldn't you be going by the movie rather than what your brother tells you?  BounceGiggle

that the planet these aliens were on was ten times the size of Earth.  If a planet was ten times as big as Earth (making it a super earth) it would also be 5 to ten times as massive.  And when a planet is 5 to ten times as massive, the gravity is 5 to ten times as strong.   On a planet with ten times the gravity, a 150 pound man would weight 1500 pounds!  Also, the fact these aliens were twice as tall as humans wouldn't be possible because the planet's gravity would severely restrict their growth.

Also, why did the aliens have blue skin?  There is no such thing as natural blue pigment.  Sure we have blue birds, but their feathers as blue, not their skin.

Although it's an uncommon coloration, there are plenty of animals with blue skin: fish, frogs, the mandrill has a blue nose, and certain species of monkey have blue scrotums (I'll spare you pictures of the last).

It's possible for people to be born with blue skin.  (It's called methemoglobinemia.) 

Can't give you a passing grade on this post.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 06:52:08 PM »

I was told by my brother that the planet these aliens were on was ten times the size of Earth.

Pandora is a moon of a gas giant; the aliens did not live on the gas giant itself.

There is no such thing as natural blue pigment.

The Blue-tailed Skink:

The Blue-footed Booby: "Their feet range from a pale turquoise to a deep aquamarine"

And Chow dogs have blue tongues.

Next?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 07:30:21 PM by Newt » Logged

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 12:35:46 AM »

They specifically mention the gravity on Pandora is slightly less than Earth's.  The implication is it is somewhat smaller. 

Also, why did the aliens have blue skin?  There is no such thing as natural blue pigment.  Sure we have blue birds, but their feathers as blue, not their skin.

And of course, lifeforms on another planet will follow the exact same rules as Earth.  There's also NOTHING, literally not a single physical thing, unique to any planet besides Earth.  Right?  
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 02:29:13 PM »

They specifically mention the gravity on Pandora is slightly less than Earth's.  The implication is it is somewhat smaller. 

I'm no scientist, but wouldn't a lesser gravity allow for taller beings, being that it's not restricting the growth of it's life forms ?  The movie also mentioned that the Na'vi had bones "the strength of carbon fiber" in one part of the film.  If I'm right, CF is a light material. That also would come as a natural development on a planet where there gravity was lesser, would it not? A great combination of strength and durability w\o any weight to hold them down.  Just a thought.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Jim H

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 03:44:20 AM »

I'm no scientist, but wouldn't a lesser gravity allow for taller beings, being that it's not restricting the growth of it's life forms ?  The movie also mentioned that the Na'vi had bones "the strength of carbon fiber" in one part of the film.  If I'm right, CF is a light material. That also would come as a natural development on a planet where there gravity was lesser, would it not? A great combination of strength and durability w\o any weight to hold them down.  Just a thought.

I think you're right, actually.  But I'm not sure if the lighter gravity is enough to really cause much effect - if this is true (it might be noted there's only one slight reference, and it's from Quarritch, hardly a scientist) it has to be minimal as nothing appears to fall at a different rate than on Earth.  Also, I'd say ultra-light strong fibers in bones is probably more likely on a HIGH gravity planet, since the lighter you are on a heavy planet the easier it is to support your increased weight.  I dunno though, just guesing really.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 09:11:45 AM »

I think you're right, actually.  But I'm not sure if the lighter gravity is enough to really cause much effect - if this is true (it might be noted there's only one slight reference, and it's from Quarritch, hardly a scientist) it has to be minimal as nothing appears to fall at a different rate than on Earth.  Also, I'd say ultra-light strong fibers in bones is probably more likely on a HIGH gravity planet, since the lighter you are on a heavy planet the easier it is to support your increased weight.  I dunno though, just guesing really.

Actually I think you may be right also. Reading your reply, it does make sense that a lighter, yet tensile-strength skeletal structure would be a balance to a body with increased weight, for terms of movement.

The Na'vi were very strong, agile people despite their height (and great weight) and their muscularity probabaly developed as a result of their adaptation to the planet and it's gravity, with their bones reaping the benefits of the tensile strength they possessed.

Indeed, science fiction movies make for some interesting speculations and question raisers..

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Couchtr26

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 11:06:41 PM »

Actually, I don't mean to refer back to this but there is some interesting thought it might have an opposite effect.  The body will only build what is needed to sustain it.  In the absence of gravity, the body atrophies.  It is possible that less gravity would result in smaller creatures as there seems to be some need to have the counter affect to produce mass.   I have read some speculation on the point but of course it is limited thinking as we are limited by our perception.  Just a thought to throw out there. 

Ah, the good old days.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 11:27:55 PM »

Wired Weenie...I thought you got off yer reality kick.
It's a fantasy...it's basically the whiteman driving out the Indians. It's a dam cartoon. FANTASY, you momo!
I was gonna give you a demerit for old times sake,but it ain't worth the trouble to move my arrow to the "you're a dumbass" key.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 03:21:13 AM »

Actually, I don't mean to refer back to this but there is some interesting thought it might have an opposite effect.  The body will only build what is needed to sustain it.  In the absence of gravity, the body atrophies.  It is possible that less gravity would result in smaller creatures as there seems to be some need to have the counter affect to produce mass.   I have read some speculation on the point but of course it is limited thinking as we are limited by our perception.  Just a thought to throw out there. 

OK, I can go with that...the absence of gravity would be a counter to producing mass and strength.  It would be the same if you were training with weights, only gravity is the natural progressive resistance we go thru every day, thus your natural weight training you've had since you've learned to walk.   Great thread, BTW, some good thoughts thrown out there.   BounceGiggle  Smile

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Couchtr26

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »

OK, I can go with that...the absence of gravity would be a counter to producing mass and strength.  It would be the same if you were training with weights, only gravity is the natural progressive resistance we go thru every day, thus your natural weight training you've had since you've learned to walk.   Great thread, BTW, some good thoughts thrown out there.   BounceGiggle  Smile

I like the exercise.  It is enjoyable to ponder the subject.  We could never know for sure but it is grounds for interesting thoughts and speculation.  We always think what can be or what would be of course being unsure 'til we see.  It is the limitation of us as a species.  We are a bit of the old "Doubting Thomas"?  Unable to know or believe 'til we see first hand.  If you should ever like I am always open to discuss such topics.   

Ah, the good old days.
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 09:35:53 PM »

I like the exercise.  It is enjoyable to ponder the subject.  We could never know for sure but it is grounds for interesting thoughts and speculation.  We always think what can be or what would be of course being unsure 'til we see.  It is the limitation of us as a species.  We are a bit of the old "Doubting Thomas"?  Unable to know or believe 'til we see first hand.  If you should ever like I am always open to discuss such topics.   

Agreed!  We as humans are held back by our classic "if we can't see it, how do we know it's real?" school of thought.   

Naturally, seeing such things as The Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, or extra-terrestrial life would be the greatest payoff, but at the same time, would be a bit let down if we did, because then the mystery would be solved, and they would be tossed out in search of a new toy, so to speak.

And at the same time, there's enough evidence that something is out there, we just don't know what.  The age old battle: "we can't see it, BUT...."

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2010, 10:02:35 PM »

I think, perchance,that some newcomers may not understand my aversion to WyreWizard. Back in the day,he usta bait us. Me and Menard usta call him out. Fact is...why rag a movie because it's "unreal"? It's fantasy-let go! Back in the day Wired Weenie was more blatant...he;s doing the same...but being subtle....ICheck out his old threads...he's an instigator.

WW......This is directed to you.....if you wanna just hang out and discuse film....GROOVY! Don't start your "Realty" Bullsh1t.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:02 AM »

It's a fantasy...it's basically the whiteman driving out the Indians. It's a dam cartoon. FANTASY, you momo!
I was gonna give you a demerit for old times sake,but it ain't worth the trouble to move my arrow to the "you're a dumbass" key.

Everyone here missed you while you were away RC.    Thumbup
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2010, 07:14:05 AM »

Everyone here missed you while you were away RC.    Thumbup

Yes, we did!

RC, I am sorry I got sucked into feeding our resident troll.  But only because it encourages him to do it again.  TongueOut

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  One really good film with one nasty reality flaw « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.