Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:43:19 PM
714253 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7736 Members
Latest Member: ShayneGree
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So here I am AT WORK . . . « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So here I am AT WORK . . .  (Read 1687 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 28, 2010, 05:12:39 PM »

I was supposed to take a vacation day on Friday, November 19, but I ended up coming into the office for half a day.  Then I was supposed to have a vacation day on Wednesday the 24th, but I ended up working all day.  Then I woked 7.5 hours at home yesterday (Saturday) and 6.5 hours in the office today.  I have canceled at least 50% of my approved vacation time during 2010 because of work.  Nobody else in my office does this (and I mean NOBODY . . . EVER as far as I can remember).  Some people took one or more days off last week with no problem.  And there was nobody except me in the office today.  WTF?  Am I a freaking moron or what?

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 09:10:53 PM »

"My name if Burgomaster, and I'm a workaholic."

"HI BURGOMASTER!"

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »

You seem to have fallen into the all too common trap of confusing your career with your life.  Happens to me all the time, unfortunately!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 09:28:10 PM »

Am I a freaking moron or what?

Oh...oh...I so want to answer that. TongueOut

Seriously, though; there are different types in workplaces, and we don't all get along.

I guess it's by the type of work, and the draw to that type of work by certain people. I work in retail as a merchandiser, and I wouldn't have a retail job which limits me to one store.

Some of the people in some of the stores at which I work, wear the hell out of me just watching them. I see managers and wannabes work 12 hour shifts daily like it's nothing to them, while others are looking at their watches hoping quitting could come sooner; though I guess that's why the people working management are in management.

Sometimes I'll work 7 days a week and I'll have have longer than average days; but I enjoy merchandising and 10-12 hour days ain't anything out of the ordinary.

Today I was running late, but it doesn't matter, I'm a merchandiser and my job's done when I'm there. One of the things that ran me behind was getting a pull in my back. I had been sitting down, putting on my shoes, then stood back up to a surprise of a sudden muscle spasm in my back, which put me right back down.

There have been jobs in the past where if I had such a spasm I would have probably used it as a reason not to go to work. Of course I do need the pay, but in my job I like to be reliable.

That opening part about different types in workplaces...well...we're usually, for simplicity, one of two: we seek to fulfill our jobs for various reasons, or we seek to get through the day and get the hell out.

Of the latter, I've been in jobs in which I felt like that. I know my capabilities and limitations, do a degree, and I aim to stay with work in which I feel more committed and reliable.

When we do get into something in which we are committed and feel a responsibility, we don't necessarily see a timeclock; the day's not over until the day is over. As much as we may not understand somebody looking at a job as complete when the clock strikes 5, rather than being complete when the job is complete, somebody looking to get through the day does not understand the crazy person who is committed to completing a job regardless of personal sacrifices.

Thinking about it, the person who leaves at 5 isn't doing anything wrong; they are actually the sane ones. If the job description says 40 hours a week, and that's what they give, they have met their responsibilities. They are probably enjoying time with their families, relaxing at a movie, or at home.

Some people are more comfortable putting life first, some aren't.

I made a joke about me wanting to answer your question, but after this discourse and thinking about it, I'd like to say from one moron to another: yes, you are a moron. That's not necessarily bad if you enjoy being a moron, but do realize that people who put in their week's work and take their days off and vacations to themselves are doing what they're suppose to do.

If it's the pay that's understandable, but sometimes we just simply can't say 'no'. Whether it's the desire to be needed, a feeling of responsibility, or whatever it is, we're there when needed. If you feel like you are being taken advantage of by being this, you're damn right you are...but you have nobody to blame but yourself; employers will always ask the people who will always be there to be there, because they will.

I can't tell you to take time off because your own personal insanity will make you feel guilty. I have a feeling too that if the office hired another person to pick up the slack, you'd either find more things that need to be done, or feel insecure about your work.

Paquita
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:15 PM »

Sorry you had to be stuck at work on the weekend!  I can be the same way.  I always wait to put in my days off for holidays because I want others to have a chance to pick the days that are best for them, assuming they're going to be considerate and take their days either before or after the holiday, but then I find they've taken both before AND after so that I don't get to take ANY days... I always tell myself that I'm just going to put in for next year's now so they don't have a chance to steal it from me, but I never do.  I've also been called on my days off to walk people through things they should know how to do or I have to run to find a computer to do it myself... and don't get me started on the whole "working from home" thing  Lookingup!

I wonder if I won the lottery..

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So here I am AT WORK . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.