Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:01:57 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A legitimate response to "Why doesn't the hero just kill the villian" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A legitimate response to "Why doesn't the hero just kill the villian"  (Read 3541 times)
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« on: November 14, 2010, 04:15:07 PM »

In reading and watching movie reviews around the web (most notably tgwtg.com) one common complaint people will have in movies is when  a hero has the villian supposedly defeated and doesn't kill them.  Saying it  would make more sense to just shoot them instead of giving them a chance to escape/counter attack.

Here's an article that gives some reason as to why.http://www.cracked.com/article_18858_the-biggest-star-wars-plot-hole-explained-by-science.html

You can read it for yourself, but it basically says that killing another human being isn't as easy as it seems. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 09:25:09 PM »

And here I thought they never killed the villain cause they didn't want to be unemployed. Wink

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:21:58 AM »

And here I thought they never killed the villain cause they didn't want to be unemployed. Wink

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 01:43:17 AM »

I'm starting to really HATE "cracked.com."   Hatred

The other day, I read a few of their lists regarding unexplained things and mysteries and such.  I was forced to draw the conclusion that the writers on that site are a bunch pure-bred idiots that have gotten very good at making themselves appear intelligent.  cracked.com could just as easily be called "illogical.com" or "takingthingswaytooseriously.com."

Which leads us to this "article," and I do use the term loosely.  

IT'S A MOVIE, you cracked bunch of morons!  STAR WARS is not some deep metaphor for the human psyche...it's a simple story about a ragtag bunch of fugitives (ooops, sorry) defeating the Evil Empire.  How long would the movie be if the Stormtroopers wiped everyone out in the first volley?  It's not about REALISTIC story telling; it's space-opera fantasy story telling.

Maybe they should try applying this "can't do it if they look too human" human psychology to a movie like ROBOCOP (or any of about 2300 violent films) where the bad guys had NO TROUBLE looking their victims in the eye while pulling the trigger...after torture and joking about it, too.  In other words, um, movies don't follow real life ALL the time.   Lookingup

Geez, I wish you guys would start tagging your subject lines with "from cracked.com" so I could more easily avoid reading the threads...   BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:57:12 AM by ulthar » Logged

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 05:22:43 PM »

Now I can finally tell fans that the novels & expanded universe don't mean s**t when it comes to Stormtooper accuracy.
Skull
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:38:30 AM »

In reading and watching movie reviews around the web (most notably tgwtg.com) one common complaint people will have in movies is when  a hero has the villian supposedly defeated and doesn't kill them.  Saying it  would make more sense to just shoot them instead of giving them a chance to escape/counter attack.

Here's an article that gives some reason as to why.http://www.cracked.com/article_18858_the-biggest-star-wars-plot-hole-explained-by-science.html

You can read it for yourself, but it basically says that killing another human being isn't as easy as it seems. 

I've always considered Han had a lucky horseshoe (or four-leaf clover) hiding in his "darkside" and those Stormtrooper misses was based upon his luck, actually in Empire Strikes Back C-3PO kept referring the odds of every action Han was doing... Becasue he was a very lucky man... And talk about luck... Not only the Princess falls in love with Han but the only other suitor happens to be her brother... talk about luck.
BTM

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 11:24:33 AM »

In reading and watching movie reviews around the web (most notably tgwtg.com) one common complaint people will have in movies is when  a hero has the villian supposedly defeated and doesn't kill them.  Saying it  would make more sense to just shoot them instead of giving them a chance to escape/counter attack.

I dunno, guess it depends on which movie and what the circumstances are.  Without a specific example, I can't respond to the premise.  You quote a Star Wars article, but I don't recall any scene in the original trilogy where they have a bad guy dead to rights are like, "No, I won't kill you!" except near the climax where Luke refuses to kill Vader and that has a good reason behind it, Luke realize who's becoming Vader's replacement if he succumbs to the Dark Side but other than that... (shrugs)

What gets me is when in movies (and especially comic books) where you have a villain who's proved time and time again that he (or she) is an unredeemable killing machine and the hero not only doesn't kill them but often goes OUT OF HIS WAY to save the villain.  (Or they conveniently find some way to just disable the villain so killing isn't necessary.)  This REALLY makes no sense when you're dealing with a character who, in the past, has show NO compunctions about killing their enemies (like Wolverine for example.)  

Course, when it comes to comics, we know the REAL reason the heroes don't kill: if they did, they wouldn't be able to reuse the bad guys for more stories further down the road.  
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 10:29:55 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »

Cracked, I offer this perfectly valid and most likely correct reason why the Stormtroopers had such bad aim: Star Wars would have ended pretty damn quickly if they were any good with their weapons. It's purely for the sake of story-telling. Hell, that's why most things happen the way they do in fiction. Reality rarely behaves in such a way that it makes for tales as compelling as the ones we make up.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 08:45:05 AM »

the guys at Cracked.com are just a bunch of idiots, the reason why the hero doesn't just kill the villain is because if the hero did, how is he different then the villain? when it comes to Star Wars, the Stormtroopers didn't have as much experience shooting in their turf than they would have on the victim's turf, and also because it was a shocking reality that they would be fighting on Death Star because, how could anyone find Death Star? All this was just a circumstance of misfortune reality to them, probably thinking that these guys were survivors from previous attacks, so their mind set isn't really focused. that, or their masks are too constricting.

but getting back to the question, can you see a hero, like Batman or Superman, killing a villain? they support justice, and killing them, they would be murderers then.

yeah no.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »

the guys at Cracked.com are just a bunch of idiots, the reason why the hero doesn't just kill the villain is because if the hero did, how is he different then the villain? ...but getting back to the question, can you see a hero, like Batman or Superman, killing a villain? they support justice, and killing them, they would be murderers then.

Precisely.  Because then he would not be a 'hero'.  It's the same old time-honoured "Black Hats/White Hats" conundrum:  the 'good guys' are constrained by the rules and the 'bad guys' are "the bad guys" because they do whatever the heck they want.

I think the rise of the anti-hero clouded the issue somewhat.  It's a movie, folks.   Lookingup  It might be momentarily satisfying to see The Lone Ranger shoot an evil wrong-doer in the back, but afterwards what and how we think of him is irrevocably changed.  No more white hat.    Bluesad  I don't care if it is more practical or even realistic (and I might debate that one: we NEED heroes who set an example by adhering to standards of personal integrity: real people DO manage it in real life: it is simply the HARD way), it should not be necessary.  Part of the ultimate triumph of 'good' is getting there, against apparently insurmountable odds, without 'cheating'!  Isn't that why we admire and applaud the good guys?

(Sorry if that came off 'preachy'.)

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2010, 12:36:29 PM »

Don't carry a gun, carry a sonic screwdriver.  TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2010, 10:45:27 AM »

Ah, yes, the modern concept of the anti-hero (the original concept being a character who simply lacked heroic qualities, as in an everyday sort of person, but was the protagonist anyway). I've always found it interesting how some of them are so violent and depraved that the only way we know they're the protagonist is because we're TOLD that they are or they're marginally less villainous than the people they're fighting.

Anyway, Star Wars was inspired by old sci-fi serials and thus borrowed quite a bit from them. Did the mooks ever actually hurt the heroes (unless it provided for some drama) in those? Not really. Besides, it's hard to keep going with a movie when your main characters die within the first three shootouts thanks to competent mooks.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  A legitimate response to "Why doesn't the hero just kill the villian" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.