Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:56:51 AM
712923 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "Thats So Gay" « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: "Thats So Gay"  (Read 6233 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« on: December 02, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »

You know its kind of funny but I still hear people using this to describe a messed up situation.  Granted I've never been one for political correctness or watching my words. However, should people really be using this still?  The reason I'm bringing this up is because I saw a commercial that brought it up and it go me to thinking.

I personally don't think I've ever used this saying much.  I was always one to rather say, "man thats f*cked up" or something similar. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »

the only time I use it is only on how people degrade their own friggen cars, as in putting a goddamn fartcan or painting it in bright colours! tis all gay!

yeah no.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 10:55:21 PM »

I'm guilty of saying this on occasion.  I've had gay friends before so the word "gay" just really only means something undesirable, or an undesirable situation.  I don't even think of it, I just say it.  I know it's wrong but if I'm by myself or around people I know it doesn't bother I'll say it once in a while.  But usually I use "b.s." or "f***ed up" or something.  You know, a harmless alternative.  TeddyR

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 11:31:27 PM »

I'm guilty of using the word on occasion maybe to describe something that is flamboyantly stupid...

... you're making me feel bad about it!  Lookingup

-Jimmybob

Paquita

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 11:48:27 PM »

I’m guilty of the gay too, but I try not to say it around anyone I don’t know or someone I think may be offended.  I don’t think I use it so much in a bad way, I usually use it in the way that means merry or carefree:  “Making cookies makes me gay!”  I also use it to describe things that are flamboyant, colorful, unmanly, and/or over-the-top: “These sparkle rainbow roller skates are so gay, but I love them!”, but I sometimes use it in a somewhat derogatory manner if it fits the situation: “That dude’s fanny pack is gay.”  I don’t think I regularly use it to describe a messed up situation, but I’m sure I have before.

I just feel like “gay” has so many meanings it doesn’t need to be singled out as offensive.  However, I can understand how a bunch of immature boys laughing and calling everything gay can get aggravating.

I'm feeling bad about it now too!
3mnkids

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2010, 07:07:32 AM »

I dont think I've ever said it. I think it depends on the intent of the person saying it whether or not it's offensive. My daughter says it and I always say ... but, you're gay!    TeddyR 

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:56 AM »

I get a little chuckle out of it if it's used well.  I like most retro expressions.  I don't think I've ever used it myself, if I see something that's gay it seems kind of obvious to say it I guess.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 12:12:00 PM »

I'm guilty of it and I know its wrong. I haven't done it for years though.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 12:15:52 PM »

Definitions of gay (slang included):

-Happy
-Homosexual
-Unfortunate
-Stupid
-Unfair

Can we pick one and go with it please?

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 12:28:22 PM »

I hate the expression.  Then again, I hate all teenage slang and have since I was a teenager. 

But, simple question here: I thought this was new slang?  No one I knew said it growing up (we used "lame" the way the kids use "gay" now).  Then again, a friend of mine who grew up in a different part of Texas than I did said his buddies used it in the 80s. Personally, I don't remember anyone saying "gay" to mean "unspecifically bad" until maybe the late 90s?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2010, 06:08:32 PM »

I never use the expression, but I worked with a guy that used it a lot, and in his case it was almost like he was making fun of the use of it, and it was sometimes funny. It was when I was an assistant manager at a Guitar Center.

And example would be, I was stringing a guitar to sell, and I was having coordination issues with the strings and, out of frustration, said “these strings are p**sing me off.” To which he might reply, “yeah, dude, strings are so gay.” It was really random, and applied to anything. Like saying “I hate that stuff,” followed by “yeah, stuff is so gay.”

That probably comes across as not very funny to not funny at all as I tell it, but a lot of it had to do with the delivery. This was also the same guy that, when I would explain a simple task I needed him to do he would say “I don’t know what that means.” He knew damn well what I was saying, but it was his way of protesting by acting like he was a dumbs**t and hoping I would throw my hands in the air and give the task to someone else. It worked the first couple of times, then I caught on to his game.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2010, 06:42:39 PM »

I'm not offended by it but it's not my style.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2010, 07:19:47 PM »

A friend of mine use dto say "Man that is flaccid"
Whenyou think about it it works very well, I still giggle.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2010, 07:33:43 PM »

My kids use it. I don't like it. I tell them to do somehting, like "Take out the trash,please." Response"-Wait till I get to the next level!" (video game). "NOW". I sez. "Geez Dad,that's so gay!" My reply to him, (he's 18) was" How is it gay? Am I wearing a dress???? Am I buttf#cking some guy? DONT'T SAY THAT,UNLESS IT APPLYS". I am not homophobic...live and let live. I just think the expression is wrong. Like saying about someone who's tight with money a Jew...or calling a lazy person a n****r. I aint into politically correct,but sterotyping is BS.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Cthulhu

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 09:43:44 AM »

This thread is gay.

*Ducks under the table*
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  "Thats So Gay" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.