Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:03:51 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Cowboys and Aliens... « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cowboys and Aliens...  (Read 2990 times)
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« on: December 02, 2010, 11:21:22 PM »

I found this on IMDB:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409847/

I watched the trailer and I could not get the trailer to come over.

It looks good.

What do you guys think?

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 02:37:39 PM »

ARE YOU READY FOR SOME FOOTBALL?!  Wink

Does anybody get the joke?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 06:53:19 PM by Trekkie313 » Logged
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 04:38:30 PM »

It looks interesting and would like to see.  I just don't know.  For some reason, I'm not looking forward to it.  I think it is because I like my westerns more grounded in at least what existed at the time and was known.  Perhaps, I am too much of a realist at times.  I likes my genres the ways I like 'em. 

Ah, the good old days.
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 11:33:33 PM »

"From the director of Iron Man" doesn't fill me with much hope.  Those movies were flat-out dull.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Trekkie313
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 11:39:26 PM »

"From the director of Iron Man" doesn't fill me with much hope.  Those movies were flat-out dull.
Hatred
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 09:17:42 AM »

It looks interesting and would like to see.  I just don't know.  For some reason, I'm not looking forward to it.  I think it is because I like my westerns more grounded in at least what existed at the time and was known.  Perhaps, I am too much of a realist at times.  I likes my genres the ways I like 'em. 

Then I'm guessing you wouldn't like the idea of a film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series?

Wink

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Couchtr26

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2010, 04:42:29 PM »

Then I'm guessing you wouldn't like the idea of a film adaptation of Stephen King's The Dark Tower series?

Wink

Nah, actually there is a lot of Stephen King I don't like in film form.  Speaking of bad westerns that veer off recently, Jonah Hex comes to mind. 

Ah, the good old days.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2010, 07:29:04 PM »

In their defense, the standard western is pretty much dead as a genre. Most people just find it harder to relate to "the heroic cowboy" these days. Approaching it more realistically (the Cowboy archetype was pretty much invented by cigarette companies, after all) or blending it with other genres are really just about the only ways to keep it alive at all.

I might go see it. It looks like it could be a fun summer flick.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:34:20 PM by The Gravekeeper » Logged
Couchtr26

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2010, 09:47:45 PM »

In their defense, the standard western is pretty much dead as a genre. Most people just find it harder to relate to "the heroic cowboy" these days. Approaching it more realistically (the Cowboy archetype was pretty much invented by cigarette companies, after all) or blending it with other genres are really just about the only ways to keep it alive at all.

I admit breathing new life into westerns is needed in order to make it relevant.  The problem I have is usually they blend into such a way that the blend is not the greatest.  Damn-it give me a western Columbo.  Alright, bad joke.  I find it would be more interesting to deal with the time period and explore other untapped ideas that were being passed around or other character archetypes present and change the focus of the story.  Ahh well, I think I'm currently incapable of clarifying my meaning. 

Had to edit "blend into such way" sounded awful after reading again. 
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 12:10:23 AM by Couchtr26 » Logged

Ah, the good old days.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 12:07:24 AM »

I admit breathing new life into westerns is needed in order to make it relevant.  The problem I have is usually they blend into such way that the blend is not the greatest.  Damn-it give me a western Columbo.  Alright, bad joke.  I find it would be more interesting to deal with the time period and explore other untapped ideas that were being passed around or other character archetypes present and change the focus of the story.  Ahh well, I think I'm currently incapable of clarifying my meaning. 

Actually, I wouldn't mind checking out the story of a bartender in an Old West setting who has to deal with all these Lone Ranger wannabes who keep stirring up trouble when they show up.
Couchtr26

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2010, 12:20:40 AM »

Actually, I wouldn't mind checking out the story of a bartender in an Old West setting who has to deal with all these Lone Ranger wannabes who keep stirring up trouble when they show up.

That would be curious.  A little sarcasm with some advice.   TeddyR  I actually would like to see a little more on subjects such as foreigners trying to forge a path there as many immigrated into what we call the west and had their own issues.  It would interesting to see cultural difference and how this might effect situations.  Perhaps, a bit more on the towns folk but besides a few types I think it would fall into a big budget Bordertown.  Perhaps a focus on the railroad builders who you see but they discuss little about in most movies.  There are numerous subjects I think unexplored or explored with little exposure.  The Mexican War also remains a rather untapped subject for American cinema.  Though it does predate what we would call the traditional Old West.

Ah, the good old days.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2010, 01:51:43 AM »

That would be curious.  A little sarcasm with some advice.   TeddyR  I actually would like to see a little more on subjects such as foreigners trying to forge a path there as many immigrated into what we call the west and had their own issues.  It would interesting to see cultural difference and how this might effect situations.  Perhaps, a bit more on the towns folk but besides a few types I think it would fall into a big budget Bordertown.  Perhaps a focus on the railroad builders who you see but they discuss little about in most movies.  There are numerous subjects I think unexplored or explored with little exposure.  The Mexican War also remains a rather untapped subject for American cinema.  Though it does predate what we would call the traditional Old West.

Oh yes, the railroads. Up north here we didn't have as much fighting to claim territory, but the building of a coast-to-coast railroad was a huge historical event and resulted in some pretty interesting legends that could translate well to a western film. And how about exploring just what would have had to happen to drive someone to pursue a life of lonely vigilantism out on the lonely frontier? Yes, there is a lot of potential in the subject of the Old West, but in order to explore it, we'd have to break some of the rules of the western film.
Couchtr26

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2010, 03:17:57 AM »

Oh yes, the railroads. Up north here we didn't have as much fighting to claim territory, but the building of a coast-to-coast railroad was a huge historical event and resulted in some pretty interesting legends that could translate well to a western film. And how about exploring just what would have had to happen to drive someone to pursue a life of lonely vigilantism out on the lonely frontier? Yes, there is a lot of potential in the subject of the Old West, but in order to explore it, we'd have to break some of the rules of the western film.

Of course, I'm fine with breaking rules.  It is not so much rules that are important to me but a bit of grounding.  We all know much is not grounded in fact in the west (movie wise) but I do prefer that we stick with the tech of the time.  It is interesting to not add to it or assume more then that in our scenarios.  I know I sound way traditional but more a realist.  There is much to discuss without adding to it as you have spoken as well.  I would never claim to know all possible viewpoints.  I appreciate your thoughts and input Gravekeeper though we have sort of veered off traffic.   Cheers

Ah, the good old days.
Jim H

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 05:34:27 AM »

That'd be a great concept.  Depict the reality of what a town would be like that has random gunslingers coming to settle scores every couple weeks (as is apparently the case in the Hollywood version of the old west).  Reminds me of a trilogy of fantasy novels called Goblin Quest - the first book of which has some adventurers who kidnap a goblin (the lead character) and he has to deal with how they smash their way through his fellow goblins and the underground catacombs they live in.  Presents another side of adventurers, who'd really be villains to any of the beings that live in the "dungeons" of Dungeons & Dragons.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2010, 07:13:53 AM »

Looks kind of interesting.  I love the title  TeddyR  Personally I'm usually intrigued when they mix Westerns with other genres, though the results I've seen have been hit or miss.  The main character in this movie looks like a bit of a lunkhead though, I don't think I'm going to be too concerned with how things work out for him.  But who knows.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Cowboys and Aliens... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.