Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:51:07 AM
712926 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  City Of The Living Dead (1980) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: City Of The Living Dead (1980)  (Read 47409 times)
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2012, 01:19:18 AM »

Updated.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 05:54:27 AM »

Updated.

Umaril Has Returned
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 12:40:39 PM »

Interesting wrap-up...and perhaps it might be true. It is an honest response, and in that respect it is true; it is ultimately the responsibility of an artist of any medium to get a response, good or bad, and Fulci was certainly a master of that.

Fulci does have a reputation as a monster among directors, though I think it was largely self-perpetuated. Some critics have maligned his treatment of animals and actors in scenes as exploitive, even cruel; when in reality he was quite a deliberate director with an actual concern for safety, and tertiary events events within a scene which seemed real enough that we presume it just happened, were actually intentionally crafted to happen.

For instance, Janet Agren's vomiting in the horde of maggots scene, though it may look like something incidental and real, it was just as likely Fulci's design for that to happen, and look like it was real.

Fulci was once taken to court for animal cruelty due a scene in a movie of his where dogs were tortured. The dogs in the scene were puppets, it just looked real enough for people to believe it was real.

I think Fulci shares a certain degree of something Romero seemed to have: the ability to get the best out of others. Fulci's most memorable films, however, have something other films of his do not, and perhaps that makes the difference, in having much of the same crew (writers, cinematographer, make-up/special effects, and even composer).

Despite what Fulci was or was not, I think that any reaction to his work is a reaction earned, and he probably wouldn't have disagreed with it.

I like that you do keep the humor going through the review with an honest appraisal of your reactions to it. Though you begin the review with Andrew's template, you move into your own style especially as you summarize and wrap up the review.

I don't really have any disagreement with your take on the film. For me it's one that works in parts, but falls apart as a whole. There are scenes which work beautifully, and others I wish they had thrown in a trashcan. It goes to hell in the last 20 minutes, and the ending I think is along the lines of the contents of the suitcase in Pulp Fiction in leaving leaving it up to the audience to decide what it means; I think that's a poor technique and his The Beyond is an entire film which uses that technique.

This is a very nice take on Fulci.  It seemed that the endings of some of his movies were confusing, disconnected, and too fluid for a definite closing to the story.

And, in forcing the viewer to decide what the film's ending means,  perhaps he was admitting his own weakness and inability to close a film with clarity. Based on that, perhaps he was making it up us by turning the proverbial director's chair over to the fans, thereby making it our film and allowing us to decide the outcome.

In that way, we may not be getting a definite ending, but we get 'replay value' out of the movie and wind up remembering it longer than a movie that had a definite ending.
In that way the movie never ends, and in a strange way, it becomes a gift that keeps on giving.   Just my take on it.  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2013, 01:45:37 AM »

In that way, we may not be getting a definite ending, but we get 'replay value' out of the movie and wind up remembering it longer than a movie that had a definite ending.
In that way the movie never ends, and in a strange way, it becomes a gift that keeps on giving.   Just my take on it.  Smile

Regarding the replay value, I do watch it occasionally (just not before I go to sleep, though) and I find new things, such as when I noticed that the cemetery looked very familiar. It is a very disturbing film with very little humor but it is still a very good film.  Smile

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 07:12:00 AM »

Updated.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 08:06:55 AM »

Updated.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2017, 04:34:28 PM »

I must admit, Menard is one of the old hands that I really miss having around.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2017, 06:07:25 AM »

I must admit, Menard is one of the old hands that I really miss having around.

Agreed.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 07:35:59 AM »

Emily was gored to death by a hand puppet, and a guy is killed in a library by fake tarantulas being dragged along the floor by strings.

TeddyR TeddyR BounceGiggle

I think you may just have opened my wallet with that statement: if I can find The Beyond again, I will buy and review it.

Seven years later, I did buy it.  Smile

stine.greta
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 02:26:13 AM »

Classic movies will never go out of style, this movie is way better than the ones that I have watch in the present.

A web developer at PetStreetMall, a place to find quality and affordable pet supplies.
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Movie Reviews  |  Submitted Reader Reviews  |  City Of The Living Dead (1980) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.