Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 12:32:07 AM
713382 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Let's Wax Philosophical . . . « previous next »
Poll
Question: Was humanity created deliberately - or did we just happen?
Designed
Just happened
Don't know

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Let's Wax Philosophical . . .  (Read 13491 times)
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2010, 08:30:46 PM »

Behave gents, behave.  Lets not resort to name calling and hasty remarks. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »

Umaril - Some of your comments have been very intelligent and meaningful, but when you and he get going, the drama becomes somewhat overwhelming . . . no insult to either of you, because I like you both, I just don't care to wade into that particular waterhole.  I wasn't meaning to insult some of your earlier, enjoyable commentary.  And, at the time I wrote that, I was very anxious to get back to the exchange that I was having with Flick, which is one of the better debates I have ever had.

Again, nothing against you, Indy. I just want it to be understood that because I never went to Berkeley, or because I don't have a degree in history or religion, that dosen't mean I'm uneducated or below the understanding of the topic at hand.

And yes, intelligent and meaningful (and sometimes angry) commentary is part of who I am. It dosen't make me any less of a person.

And unlike AHD, I don't deliberately try to antagonize and instigate because I can't get my way.  AHD can't get my confession, so he has to act like a baby. You yourself remarked on his actions. 

I say my mind, and I say straight.  I don't say it with symbols because I can't understand the English language...

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2010, 12:12:38 AM »

Resectfully, I think both of you need to chill.  It's evident you don't like each other, and the back and forth between the two of  you becomes more emotional and less substantive the longer it goes on - whether on this thread or on the "clash of cultures" thread.  People are entitled to their opinions, and I think that we should be able to discuss them without veering off into endless personal attacks.

Umaril, while you and I are closer together politically and philosophically, you are a bit too quick to take offense and get personal for my comfort.  It's OK for people to disagree with you, and every single exchange doesn't have to be hashed and rehashed ad nauseum.

AHD, if Umaril bugs you so much, quit responding to him altogether!  You are not going to persuade him of anything, especially if you keep referring to him as "it".

NOW, BACK TO THE FUN STUFF -

Flick - your Deism fascinates me.  Your comments could have been written by the godfather of American deism himself, Thomas Jefferson.  I agree with the idea that God is a creature of order who made the universe to run according to observable, measurable laws.  I believe that mankind is God's child - whatever steps were involved in the creation process, He made us and endowed us with free will and the ability to make moral choices.  That, more than anything, is what the "made in his image" scriptures refer to.
  Here is where we part company.  While God created and sustains natural law, He Himself is above and beyond it.  Picture Him as the author of a story - he creates the characters and their world, organizes the scenario and controls the overall flow.  But he is NOT bound by the rules that control His characters.
  Now, the miracles of the Bible are not random events.  God, as a supernatural being, is capable of working through supernatural events but rarely chooses to do so.  However, like any parent, when His child is in danger, God will throw the rules of physics out the window to act.  There are three great clusters of miracles in Scripture - one accompanying the Exodus, when God rescued His chosen people from slavery in  Egypt and established them as a nation in their own right.  His signs and wonders demonstrated both His covenant love for them and his protective governance of their fate.  The second great outbreak of miracles was during the time of Elijah and Elisha, when the worship of Yahweh was threatened with extinction by a wicked King of Israel and his idolatrous spouse.  God stepped in, in a rather spectacular way, to recall the people to their faith and show the idolaters who was truly God in Israel.  Then the last, of course, was during the ministry of Christ and the establishment of the church.  God had to prove to the world that Jesus of Nazareth was His Son - the "Word made flesh."  Since any man can verbally claim to be a God, having a peerless message was not enough.  God had to show enough evidence through Christ to remove all doubt.  John's account is especially instructive here - he only records seven of Christ's miracles, but each was more impressive than the last, and each was chosen to demostrate that there was only one Person whom Jesus of Nazareth COULD be - the incarnate Creator Himself.

Your studies have taken you in a different direction from me, and that of course is your right.  But do not accuse me of "blind faith."  My intellect took me to a point where faith was the only logical conclusion.  None of the scenarios you envision - desperate disciples trying to give meaning to the life of a failed and murdered teacher by stealing His body, then proclaiming Him as the Risen Lord?  Voluntarily dying for a faith they KNEW to be based on a lie?  How about the fact that Jesus' own brothers, who rejected His claims and were embarassed by His teachings?  Yet after the Resurrection they emerge as leaders of the Jerusalem church and firm advocates of the Lordship of Jesus.  What would it take for you to believe that your OWN brother, whom you shared a room and bath and toothbrush with, was the Son of God?  Paul nailed it, 22 years after the Resurrection, when he penned these words to the Church at Corinth - "If Christ be not raised, then our faith is in vain . . .  if we have hoped in Christ for this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied."

I thank you for a brilliant, insightful, and civil exchange on this topic.  I look forward to your reply.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2010, 12:37:41 AM »

Looking above, I realized my still somewhat fevered brain had run together some of Lester's posts in the "Clash of Civilizations" thread with some of AHD's replies to Umaril, and I accused him of proloing the confrontation between them needlessly.  I was mistaken.  My apologies, I am going to bed before I get even more confused.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »

AHD, if Umaril bugs you so much, quit responding to him altogether!  You are not going to persuade him of anything, especially if you keep referring to him as "it".
Mr. "FUN STUFF" I'm here to ruin your FUN.   Thumbup TeddyR Thumbdown  But not at all intentionally.   Bluesad
So, it is cool for me, the lefty to be referred to as "she" and "her" (cool by me) ??  Which is intended to insult.  Hey, so it's all a response, and perfectly fair in the context that I am responding to.  Please stop underestimating me.  

Looking above, I realized my still somewhat fevered brain had run together some of Lester's posts in the "Clash of Civilizations" thread with some of AHD's replies to Umaril, and I accused him of prolonging the confrontation between them needlessly.  I was mistaken.  My apologies, I am going to bed before I get even more confused.
What do you mean "some"?  I had two replies.  I'm starting to hate this forum for its tolerance of this kind of crap.   I am entitled to an opinion and all the obscuring commentary won't obscure the record of the posts.  But who gives crap?  Nobody reads 'em, they're too busy writing their own thoughts.  Don't worry, and don't lock any threads, the most loathsome aspect of this forum is the haste to do so.  I'm done with this topic.  
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 12:43:05 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2010, 01:29:50 AM »

AHD, if Umaril bugs you so much, quit responding to him altogether!  You are not going to persuade him of anything, especially if you keep referring to him as "it".

So, it is cool for me, the lefty to be referred to as "she" and "her" (cool by me) ??  Which is intended to insult.  Hey, so it's all a response, and perfectly fair in the context that I am responding to.  Please stop underestimating me.

AHD, sweetie. You have to accept your own responsibility in this. To be fair, I have apologized to you several times for my initial mistaken identity caper. And you kept bringing it up, and beating me over the head with it. And I asked you to stop. You didn't.

AHD, honey. You made fun of my reply in this thread on page 2, in your own form of instigation. And Indy has told you several times that you were doing so in other threads.. So is HE wrong too?  Is he your enemy now because he's pointed out your own wrongdoing?

Underestimating you? No, you just underestimated ME.  You want me to stop? then YOU stop.  You're a big (boy?) and you should realize that compromise must be effected sometimes in order to bring about the desired result.

Looking above, I realized my still somewhat fevered brain had run together some of Lester's posts in the "Clash of Civilizations" thread with some of AHD's replies to Umaril, and I accused him of prolonging the confrontation between them needlessly.  I was mistaken.  My apologies, I am going to bed before I get even more confused.

What do you mean "some"?   I had two replies.  I'm starting to hate this forum for its tolerance of this kind of crap.   I am entitled to an opinion and all the obscuring commentary won't obscure the record of the posts.

But who gives crap?  Nobody reads 'em, they're too busy writing their own thoughts.  Don't worry, and don't lock any threads, the most loathsome aspect of this forum is the haste to do so.  I'm done with this topic.  

Why hate it? Your crap gets tolerated too...oh I see there's only room for one load of crap, so it has to be yours.

Apparently I'm an itch in your knickers, sweetheart.  Well, let me just harmonize with one of your earlier replies to me on page 2 of this article:

Lookingup
Drink
BounceGiggle
BounceGiggle
Question  BounceGiggle
Twirling  Drink

You like it? No, well neither did I. For all your claims of transparency and responsibility you claim the Right lacks, perhaps you should take some of that yourself.

Don't want it done? Then don't do it to me or anyone else.  You respect me, I respect you, that's the deal, don't add any numbers. respect is a two-way street.   Cheers

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2010, 01:56:20 AM »

Poor li'l ol' PILE, poor li'l ol' match seller, not no matchgirl, that'd be me, ADHD  BounceGiggle that leftee leenin' tower o' terror, abused and neglected, female type cow, whipped.   Bluesad yeller witch  Thumbdown TongueOut That's me!!   BounceGiggle He he he he he he he heee.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 01:59:17 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #52 on: December 16, 2010, 02:31:28 AM »

AllHallowsDay and Umaril, let me make this clear:  your disagreement might well go on, but not in public on this forum.  If you want to debate your views, then that is fine.  Debate the issues.  Do not start throwing insults around.

Umaril, you have been way out of line in this thread.  AllHallowsDay created a post of smileys.  While that may have little in the way of contribution (and seemed dismissive), your responses were personally insulting, extremely rude, and immature.  From what I know you are an adult.  Act like one.

I wish I had noticed this nonsense earlier.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Let's Wax Philosophical . . . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.