Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:24:59 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Sadist (1963) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Sadist (1963)  (Read 1915 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 08, 2010, 05:54:32 PM »

Small | Large

The triumph of this movie, which is really pretty darn good, in in the casting of Arch Hall jr as the antagonist. If you saw Eegah and/or Wild guitar, and theres a very good chance you did if you post here alot, you know that while he does have very nice hair, there was something off about ol arch jr as a teen idol.  Mainly, he has kind of an ...interesting face. lotta CHARACTER you might say.

If anyone was meant to play a serial killer in a movie, it was he. Not surprisingly this is several levels above his previous movies in all normal manners of judgement.

Based on real events, Hall Jr plays a demented and yes sadistic guy who torments a young (ish) couple, or they kinda become a couple during the thing, seemingly to entertain himself and his equally crazy girlfriend. The one hostage lady looks uncannily like my friend Dave's wife but unlike her is pretty annoying. This made it a little hard to be upset when she was tormented which was pretty often (see trailer). The male lead is a normal guy who is kind of struggling towards beefcake but alas so far away. I can't remember what he's supposed to be, a teacher or salesman or something.

It's the hostage scenerio where the guy has the gun drawn the whole time and the people try and reason with him and he's crazy and what are we going to do and so forth. It is trashy and violent and while not too overtly sexual was pretty risque, certainly more than most movies in 1963. A guy holding a couple hostage is by now not the freshest scenerio but you can forgive them considering it was made a thousand years ago and it's solid and entertaining.

The print netflix sent was a little messed up for some reason, mainly the second half. I don't know if it was the transfer or what but it was a little distracting.

4.5/5

« Last Edit: December 09, 2010, 12:52:23 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Sleepyskull
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Well,well,well...

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2010, 06:49:49 PM »

I own this on DVD and ever since I first saw it online I thought it was an overlooked gem.
i would never watch it with anybody from my generation since most kids would be bored to tears. I did watch it with my parents and they wouldn't stop obsessing over Arch's hair.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2010, 07:06:03 PM »

Just need a movie called "The Masochist".

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 10:30:45 PM »

The SADIST was way ahead of it's time!
(oh yeah,it was loosly based on Charles Starkweather and Carol Fugate-who lives here in Michigan now!)
Another film based on Charles and Carol was the Martin Sheen/Sissy Spacek film BADLANDS.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Nukie 2

I did it all for the...

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 12:07:57 PM »

The people who made that movie really knew what they we're doing.
The transformation of the Cabbage Patch Elvis into the Sadist was simply amazing.
I'm surprised Arch Hall Jr. didn't take on more rolls for this kind of character acting!

It's so funny to think the same guy who was the star in the unintentional riot Wild Guitar was the Sadist.
Honestly, Wild Guitar is such a riot because he's so ugly and everyone keeps telling him how handsome he is in it, there's just too mcuh stuff to rip on about that movie. The fact that this multi-billion record company is ran out of some guys home office, and the newest star has to live in the same place as the execs.  Geez.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 12:13:02 PM by Nukie 2 » Logged

Watch Nukie on YouTube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wab1Y713tN0
"Like" International Fans of the Movie Nukie and Sias Odendaal on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/pages/International-Fans-of-the-Movie-Nukie-and-Sias-Odendaal/135820159771783
mrgb46
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 10:09:20 PM »

Love this movie and have this on blu-ray...I can see Arch Hall,Jr. doing more roles like this.
Couchtr26

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:16:17 PM »

Job was teacher if I remember correctly.  I think math to be more specific. 

The movie is actually surprising I didn't really think I would like it as much as I did.  It had that torment that really brought the idea across and Hall Jr. played the character very well.  I was more then a little creeped out by him.  I saw it on Youtube if there is anyone who hasn't seen it yet. 

Ah, the good old days.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 05:58:09 AM »

Love this movie and have this on blu-ray...I can see Arch Hall,Jr. doing more roles like this.

Like this?

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 09:15:43 AM »

I have this in one of the Mill Creek 50 Movie Packs.  The DVD quality is very good and I definitely enjoyed the novie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2011, 11:37:38 AM »

Everyone talks about Arch Hall's performance, and it's good--or at least, appropriate to the character--but it's really an excellent script that makes this one work.  It basically plays out in real time, on one set, with only a handful of actors, but the tension just keeps building and building.  Hall Jr. seems dumb but he's always one step ahead of the heroes; the movie's always giving us hope the hostages can escape then snatching it away. 

Also, the picture looks pretty damn good, thanks to Vilmos Zsigmond, who would go on to win a cinematography Oscar for CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND.  Every bead of sweat on Arch's greasy little forehead is in perfect focus.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Sadist (1963) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.