Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:18:14 PM
714369 Posts in 53095 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Stuff that lasts a long time « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Stuff that lasts a long time  (Read 6450 times)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« on: December 10, 2010, 10:10:48 AM »

I was using my can crusher this morning - I recycle all our aluminum pop and beer cans, and I smush them all first.  I must have bought that thing 17 or 18 years ago, and smashed thousands upon thousands of cans with it.  It's still solid as a rock, big ol' heavy piece of black plastic  Thumbup

What have you had for a long time that you use frequently, and it still works as good as the day you bought it?  It's a pretty rare phenomenon these days.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 02:41:50 PM »

Hate.

According to Charles Bukowski, it's the only thing that lasts.

Seriously, though, my 2004 Saturn Vue. I don't care what anybody says, Saturn made a good vehicle, and I was sad to see them go under. My Vue has nearly nearly 80,000 miles on it, I've been behind on regular maintenance for a while now, and the thing just keeps going and going and going. They may not be stylish or what cool people own, but it's the best vehicle I've ever owned.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
claws
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »

CDs

Got quite a few from the mid-80's and they still play f.i.n.e.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 02:54:23 PM »

We use a Ryan lawnmower from I believe the 1970s or 1980s and that thing is a TANK.  It makes mincemeat of the lawn no matter how long it is and only needs standard maintenance. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2010, 04:12:07 PM »

My refrigerator, apparently.  I don't know if it's ever had work done on it before, but my wife recieved it for free about 6-7 years ago and it was originally purchased in 1977.  Works just fine.

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2010, 06:37:38 PM »

Flint projectile points.  I found this Dalton style spearhead a couple of weeks ago; nearly 10,000 years old and still razor sharp!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2010, 08:15:55 PM »

Marshmallow Peeps.  Out of all of man's creations, they might outlast the pyramids.

I have a number of tools that my father owned.  It is hard to break an all-steel hammer.  I also have a DeWalt cordless drill that must be 10 years old, but the batteries still hold a charge quite well.  Add to that the DVD/LD player I use when working on most of the reviews.  It's about 11 years old.  One of the more surprising things is my boots, which must be 15 years old.  I have a couple of sweaters that are even older, and some t-shirts which are even older than those (around 18 years).

Thankfully, I believe my oldest pair of underwear is about 2 years of age. 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2010, 09:59:06 PM »

I still have toys from 1985 laying about.  Toys, that easily break, in great condition.  Granted, not important, but still good.

I got some tools, a fridge, a washer, dryer, etc.  All lasted since I was a little kid.

Nintendo64.  Bought one in like, 1998.  Still works, so I still utilize it.  GameBoy from 1989.  Just add batteries.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Paquita

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2010, 10:19:23 PM »

I have a TV from 1983 that still works.  It's a wood-encased RCA floor model.  It won't actually display a picture since about 2 years ago, before that it worked fine for several years if I let it "warm up" for a while and then banged the top while elevating the right side slightly and leaning into it sort of making a gentle humping motion.. a little embarrassing when we had company over but boy were they surprised to see it work!!  Then one day it just wouldn't respond to me anymore.  I still have it on the back porch because I have hope for it.  It has been temporarily replaced by a similar television from 1985 that I can actually program my cable remote to so I can control the volume!

I also still have my NES that works.  I think it's from 1989.

Thankfully, I believe my oldest pair of underwear is about 2 years of age. 

Thankfully?  I think I still have some underpants from high school.  I know for sure lots of my underwear is over 2 years old.  Is that gross?  They're in pretty good condition.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:25:58 PM »

We've got an old RCA console TV too.  It used to belong to my grandparents, I think they bought it in the early '80s.  Perhaps earlier.  You have to turn it on, then off.  Then wait 30 seconds, then turn it on again.  Then it works!  Sometimes it will try to turn on all by itself, making a noise like an electric shaver. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2010, 10:33:57 PM »

Our microwave has worked for over 20 years now...it still works.

Fascinating how a thread about stuff that lasts should somehow include underwear... Buggedout BounceGiggle
« Last Edit: December 10, 2010, 10:51:18 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 12:21:19 AM »

my bed frame is about 67 years old, my grandpa made it when he was 22/23

yeah no.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 12:26:47 AM »

He he he.. this topic makes me think of these:
"So kiss a little longer.."

~and~
"Lasts an extra, extra, extra long time."

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
Couchtr26

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 12:54:48 AM »

Well made knife, have a buck 110 from the 70's.  Still cuts nice and no signs of quitting on me anytime soon. 

Ah, the good old days.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2010, 06:32:54 AM »

Marshmallow Peeps.  Out of all of man's creations, they might outlast the pyramids.

Peeps! Peeps! Peeps! TeddyR
I have a steel bank that I found in the attic of our house in 1970. Its a squirll. Looks circa 1920 something.I was 7.....I'm 48 now!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Stuff that lasts a long time « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.