Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:01:57 AM
713389 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Police Squad! The complete series « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Police Squad! The complete series  (Read 7104 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: December 11, 2010, 11:13:49 PM »

First off, I 'd like to know who here was not aware that the Naked Gun movies were based on a television show.

I picked up the complete series  (a whopping six episodes) at Big Lots for $6.

I actually like the series better than the movies and it's shame it didn't make it . Leslie Neilsen says in the included interview that the size of TV screens was the cause of the series and the fact that you really had to watch the show to catch all the site gags in the background.   

I liked the anouncement of the weekly guest star  only to see them die during the credits.  Lorne Greene is thrown out of a Limo with a knife in his chest,  Georg Stanford Brown gets a safe dropped on him,  Robert Goulet gets it by firing squad, Florence Henderson is machine gunned, William Shatner avoids a volley of machine gun fire only to be taken by a glass of poison wine, William Conrad gets the same treatment as Lorne Greenes

They obviously parodying the Quinn Martin Cop shows, even using the same announcer.

Alan North plays Captain Ed Hocken and Peter Lupus (aka Willie from the original Mission Impossible) as Officer Norberg.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Couchtr26

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010, 11:19:08 PM »

I was aware of the show but wasn't aware of its availability.  Hmmmm, might be worth a trip to Big Lots though sadly no guarantees but sometimes it can be a better surprise.  From the sounds of it, it would be rather enjoyable and have a good bit of humor that I could use right now.  Need something funny and new.  Thanks for the tip. 

Ah, the good old days.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2010, 09:29:50 AM »

I caught it all from Netflix.  Great series.  The ending freeze frame jokes were probably my favorite part. 
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 03:44:34 PM »

It's a good series, though I found the episodes varied quite a bit in quality, and I think the first film is the best of any of the Police Squad bits. 
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »

Oh wow.  Now I have to make a trip to Big Lots.  I remember seeing these about 15-20 years ago.  Doesn't frank stop by one of those all night Wicker stores?

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 05:10:34 PM »

I remember it when it aired (yes I'm that old). I loved it, and was sad to see it didn't last very long. The ending freeze frames were definately fantastic, and of course Leslie Nielsen was really nailing the deadpan stuff.

I also thought it was interesting that the character Norberg in the t.v. series was a fellow cop who was this middle-aged white guy:

Then, in the movies, Norberg is O. J. Simpson.

Whacky.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:43 PM »

I remember Comedy Central, a few years back, had Naked Gun day.  They showed all 6 episodes, then all 3 movies.  I was in Heaven.  I liked all 3 flicks.  1st and 3rd were great.  2nd one was funny but not as good as the other two.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2010, 02:19:11 AM »

I liked the anouncement of the weekly guest star  only to see them die during the credits.  Lorne Greene is thrown out of a Limo with a knife in his chest,  Georg Stanford Brown gets a safe dropped on him,  Robert Goulet gets it by firing squad, Florence Henderson is machine gunned, William Shatner avoids a volley of machine gun fire only to be taken by a glass of poison wine, William Conrad gets the same treatment as Lorne Greenes

I believe there was another episode where Abraham Lincoln turns the tables on his would-be assassin.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2010, 12:10:55 PM »

I believe there was another episode where Abraham Lincoln turns the tables on his would-be assassin.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I remember the Lincoln bit in the opening credits, but I don't recall the bit you're talking about. Perhaps I didn't see all the episodes like I thought.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 10:20:06 PM »

Damn you.  I drove all the way to Big Lots today, looked through a few hundered unorganized crappy movies, and never found Policesquad.  I did this once last year too when someone posted about some great finds at Big Lots. I swear I am never doing this again. 

Oh yeah, and I found a copy of Ice Pirates there for $3.  I think I paid $15 for it last year. 
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2010, 11:25:17 AM »

Back in my days working in a video store we had these episodes on VHS.  We watched them quite a few times while we were working.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 05:04:35 PM »

I remember the Lincoln bit in the opening credits, but I don't recall the bit you're talking about. Perhaps I didn't see all the episodes like I thought.

The Lincoln bit was at the beginning of every episode    and Rex Hamilton as Abraham Lincoln.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Fox Sake
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:36 AM »

i wasn't even born when this show was first broadcast, and on viewing it first time round I didn't quite get some of the injokes related to other cop shows. But for all that it made me laugh, and it was a great pity it was canned before it had chance to find its feet.

The Naked Gun  films were just okay; I just didn't feel there was enough funny material for each to last 90 minutes +
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2018, 05:36:54 PM »

I watched these years ago!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2018, 09:14:23 PM »

I wonder how Trek Geezer is doing nowadays?  Question

I remember watching it on TV-and being p**sed when it was cancelled!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:17:09 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Police Squad! The complete series « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.