Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:42:32 AM
713409 Posts in 53060 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Looking for something.... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Looking for something....  (Read 9691 times)
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 15, 2010, 01:22:37 AM »

I'm looking for something very specific.  I have been searching through the sad/disturbing movies threads.  However, I am looking for something else.  I am looking for something that is disturbing/violent.  I am looking for something that makes us question the darker side of humanity and our own selves.  Something that is terrifying and frightening and unrelenting.  Not gore for the sake of gore but in context shows truly our horrid side as a species.  I want something that truly disturbs and makes you want to throw the movie across the room.  Is there anything out there that even comes close?  We have become so jaded it is hard at times to find a movie that does anything anymore.  I'm not asking for any specific movie, I'll take any suggestions as long as it meets the criteria I have mentioned.  I want this, to be honest, because I remember being a child and at times being truly frightened by some movies.  However, I haven't in my adult life felt repulsed and frightened.  Would like to have an experience where I am questioning everything and truly abhor what I have seen.  Can it be found? 

Ah, the good old days.
claws
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 02:59:39 AM »

How about Possession (1981) and Antichrist (2009) ?
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:01:04 AM »

THIS:

Small | Large

Terrifying!  Buggedout

Seriously....try LAST HOUSE ON DEADEND STREET (1977), I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE (1978), LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (1972)....or.....

HENERY:PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER (1986)-unlike those other trashy expliotation quickies,this is a very well made,and truly horrifying film.

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 07:24:59 AM »

The remake of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre with Jessica Beil was probably the scariest movie I've seen in a long time.  One of those I finished and thought it was great, but I didn't want to see it again anytime soon.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:14:02 AM »

The August Underground trilogy.
Slaughtered Vomit Dolls.

Very unpleasent films those are.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:37:04 PM »

I second claws' recommendation of ANTICHRIST.  Disturbing, but intelligent.  It's one of the most frighteningly nihilistic movies of recent times.

You might try SALO too, though I don't like the film.  From the Marquis de Sade, it depicts the darkest impulses of human cruelty without comment. 

SERBIAN MOVIE is making waves along the lines you speak of as well. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 01:48:19 PM »

Well there's Witchfinder General and Straw Dogs that to me seem to fit what you're looking for...

You want bleak and unrelenting in their own way, perhaps not horror films but of note IMO are Targets and Requiem For A Dream.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »

SALO,or THE 120 DAYS of SODOM (1975)-Truly horrifying.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073650/combined

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Paquita

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 02:25:57 PM »

I am looking for something that makes us question the darker side of humanity and our own selves. 

Something that is terrifying and frightening and unrelenting. 

Not gore for the sake of gore but in context shows truly our horrid side as a species. 

I want something that truly disturbs and makes you want to throw the movie across the room. 

Is there anything out there that even comes close? 

Hmm..Have you watched the Lifetime Movie Network?
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 04:15:17 PM »

I am looking for something that makes us question the darker side of humanity and our own selves. 

Something that is terrifying and frightening and unrelenting. 

Not gore for the sake of gore but in context shows truly our horrid side as a species. 

I want something that truly disturbs and makes you want to throw the movie across the room. 

Is there anything out there that even comes close? 

Hmm..Have you watched the Lifetime Movie Network?
BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Hallmark movies can sometimes come close.

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
theedinburghbteam
Dedicated Viewer

Bringing the trash home!

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 07:10:27 PM »

Bram Stoker's Legend of the Mummy 2

The Edinburgh B-Team! B-Movie double bill, every Monday at the Jekyll & Hyde Pub, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, Scotland! 7pm onwards! Free entry and free popcorn!
ImaginaryFoot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 07:40:48 PM »

Any one of the movies in the Traces of Death series

Lima beans are the Devil
Couchtr26

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.  I shall have to try tracking some down

@ RCMerchant, I have been considering Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.  That or Man bites Dog which I understand is a Belgian movie in a similar vein.  The problem I have is finding a local copy but planning on a large purchase from Amazon in the beginning of the year.  Thinking I may have to order. 

@ Paquita, Lifetime does definitely have some depressing movies, however, I don't find myself identifying much.  Sort of on a related note, I did find myself watching Irreverisble the other night.  Many talk about the scenes but sadly I found myself going down a philosophical thought journey then paying attention to the actual scenes. 

@ Rev. Powell, I had heard about A Serbian Film.  It seems it would fit what I suggested.  However, I wonder on getting a copy.  Tried finding one but came up empty handed.  Sadly, living in Oklahoma City, film events are rare.  You can from time to time see foreign films at the museums.  However, considering local tastes I think this will be a hard one. 

Ah, the good old days.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 07:17:55 PM »

@ Rev. Powell, I had heard about A Serbian Film.  It seems it would fit what I suggested.  However, I wonder on getting a copy.  Tried finding one but came up empty handed.  Sadly, living in Oklahoma City, film events are rare.  You can from time to time see foreign films at the museums.  However, considering local tastes I think this will be a hard one. 

It's not on DVD yet and actually it's possible it will never have a legitimate DVD release due to its content.  It would be illegal to own in some countries (not the US, but probably the UK).

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Couchtr26

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 10:23:44 PM »

It's not on DVD yet and actually it's possible it will never have a legitimate DVD release due to its content.  It would be illegal to own in some countries (not the US, but probably the UK).

Thanks Rev. Powell, I had assumed that was the case.  However, wasn't a 100% sure.  I had happened on some mention from Youtube.  It seems most mentions are from film festivals.   Bluesad  'Tis sad that somethings we can't find when we are looking for them.  There are a few other things I have been searching for film wise. 

Ah, the good old days.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Looking for something.... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.