Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:02:38 PM
714227 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Have a Question... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I Have a Question...  (Read 5288 times)
Raffine
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 16, 2010, 02:54:47 AM »

What is the point in posting threads on this forum about what are well known to be politically charged topics?

We all KNOW where it's going to lead.  Lookingup

EDIT: I was going to try to make this sound a bit less annoyed, but I didn't.  Smile

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:33:08 AM by Raffine » Logged

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
claws
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:35:51 AM »

They forbid political threads at this other forum I post because of results such as found here.
Personally I think people should keep their politics and religious beliefs to themselves.
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:58:49 AM »

I hate to think Andrew had to come up with a set of Ape Laws when a little common sense would do it.

Again:  Smile

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
claws
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:00:17 AM »

Politics + common sense = lost cause  Bluesad
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:20:27 AM »

I suggest you take a look at some of the top 5 smited users. Examine their karma and check the reasons of why they've been smited. It's almost always political. I think keeping your political thoughts to yourself is a good thing. It will only degrade your relationship with other users.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 07:26:49 AM »

I just ignore the political posts.  It's pointless anyway - people state their immovable positions on the issues, and butt heads with each other.  Rinse and repeat.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 07:30:34 AM »

I have been thinking that we end up with too many political threads.  Sometimes, people are going to discuss politics.  However, we really don't need links to political news stories - and that's also not the intent of the Press Releases and News board.  The focus of that board is news about bad movies.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
claws
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 07:34:53 AM »

I suggest you take a look at some of the top 5 smited users. Examine their karma and check the reasons of why they've been smited. It's almost always political. I think keeping your political thoughts to yourself is a good thing. It will only degrade your relationship with other users.

Not to forget the karma bonus you get when you share same political views  Lookingup
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 07:59:02 AM »

I'm to the point of just ignoring them.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 09:15:22 AM »

Politics and religion on this board alway starts off the same.  "Lets talk about this civilly..."  Three pages later, thread locked.  People are just talking to hear themselves talk in most of the threads regarding this.  No one is going to change their ways so whats the point.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:27:09 AM »

Politics and religion on this board alway starts off the same.  "Lets talk about this civilly..."  Three pages later, thread locked.  People are just talking to hear themselves talk in most of the threads regarding this.  No one is going to change their ways so whats the point.

That is so true.  BounceGiggle

I just stay out of it, it always snowballs.  Hatred

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 10:02:04 AM »

Politics and religion on this board alway starts off the same.  "Lets talk about this civilly..."  Three pages later, thread locked.  People are just talking to hear themselves talk in most of the threads regarding this.  No one is going to change their ways so whats the point.

I've tried to participate in some of these, if they at least start out looking like a free exchange of ideas. These days, I generally don't even look at the majority of them, and if I do happen to join in, I almost always start ignoring new posts very quickly. As soon as it starts popping up constantly under new replies with the same two names over and over, I stop looking at it (except to see if it needs to be locked). I don't know who sticks around after that point. Seems a waste of time for everyone, even the combatants.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:05:41 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 10:50:38 AM »

I was smited 130 times and I don't even know why! it was before you had to say who or why. since then I've been smited like once and I've never smited anyone for their opinion. I think for people like myself who discuss politics regularly the sort of insanity of it is common but I think others perhaps take stuff a little too personally and yeah, probably this board is not the best place for it in the end.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 10:54:21 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 11:14:54 AM »

For me there are plenty of sites you can visit to argue politics or religion. I like to come here for the bad movie, and occassionally underpants, discussion.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 01:11:12 PM »

It seems that the few people who repeatedly participate in those threads really enjoy them.  Since the majority of posters seldom comment in them, I assume they either find them mildly annoying or ignore them altogether.

I know the idea has been floated before, but I would be in favor of creating a separate political board to make it easier for those who hate this stuff to avoid it.  I know most of us would like less political talk, but I'm not sure how Andrew could implement that policy.  It would require lots of thread locking and deleting and result in lots of complaints from the folks who like those discussions. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Have a Question... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.