Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:51:09 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Christmas around the bad movie world « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Christmas around the bad movie world  (Read 4689 times)
Ed, Ego and Superego
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 16, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »

Or Hanukkah, Festivus, Ramadan,  and whatnot...
So what do you all like to do for your specific holidays.  Even if its lock the door and drink heavily (you know who you are).. i'm interested.

As an adult we have generated some traditions..
1) I have certain foods I try to make, one is a truly good Pork Pie, something unknown in the US.  Every year I allow myself two experimental versions.   I also make homemade toffee, a la Almond Roca.  I love the danger inherent in burning sugar.
2) We go get our tree from a friend's farm.
3) One present on Christmas eve.
4) NO ONE is welcome on Christmas morning, not grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, cousins, neighbors, not anyone.  You can come over Christmas Eve, or that night, but not before noon.
5) I try and do something interesting for Christmas dinner/ We have made gumbo, lobster, lamb, prime rib, all kinds of stuff .  Christmas eve is now usually crab, bread and soup (we get cheap crab here).

Anyway, please let me know and we'll toast with egg nog or sterno or coffee or whatever tipple you please.   
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
macabre
Bad Movie Lover

I'M COMING FOR YOU!

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:02:31 PM »

hi
I have a 10yr old son who is Severely disabled and it is not good for him to get to excited, we tend to wake up Early with our two other children and they open their presents,then we wake our son Callum up and we open his presents. Due to our sons disability no-one is allowed at our home on Christmas day,they are welcome boxing day or Christmas eve but never Christmas day.My wife did a lot of cooking during her therapy and she is an excellent cook, she will try and suprise us on Christmas day and when our children go to bed she loves to put the fire on and snuggle  up to me and watch a classic horror movie.  aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh  i cannot wait.

GEEZ! I NEVER REALISED A BRAIN WEIGHED SO MUCH.
WHY HAVE YOU GOT A KNIFE IN YOUR HAND? I HAVEN'T IT'S IN YOUR CHEST.
A MARATHON! MY WIFE COULDN'T RUN A BATH WITHOUT FEELING TIRED.
claws
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 03:03:26 PM »

They celebrate and do the presents thing on Christmas eve here in Germany.
Traditional food on that day consists of cooked in broth or breaded and deep fried carp with endive salad and potato salad. Others serve cooked in broth bratwurst.
The 25th and 26th is when they lay on the heavy food. It's either classic goose or duck with red cabbage and potato balls.

Our menu this year looks something like this:

24th - bratwurst (pan fried), frikadellen, leberkäse and various salads.
25th - dinner at my sisters. Probably goose.
26th - dinner at home. Either turkey or glazed ham.

No presents on Christmas, except for one small gift. Other than that I'll be watching DVDs and blu-ray movies in between the food  Smile
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:24:35 PM »

Claws... did you do the shoe thing on  the 7th (St. Nikolaustag)?  When I was a wee fellow in Germany we did it, and we'd also go tood the Nuremberg Christmas Market.  I loved that so much.  I'd get a paper cone full of sugared nuts amd currywurst.
-Ed 

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Paquita

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 06:56:17 PM »

For the past 4 years, my husband and I have made a gingerbread house together for Christmas, well a week or so before Christmas.  I initially wanted to make a grander and grander house every year as we got more skilled, but the last 2 years have just been normal houses, although we did add trees last year.  The biggest we got was a 2-story house with a balcony.

About the 2nd week in December, my uncle starts pestering us to make Christmas cookies, so every weekend we're up late watching movies and making Christmas cookies.

My mom always talks about going to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, but we never do.  Sometimes she puts it on TV.

We usually end up wrapping gifts and stuffing stockings until about 2am on Christmas Eve, even if we had good intentions and started the week before.

I WISH people wouldn't come over before noon, but they do!  No matter what we tell them, someone always comes when I'm still in my PJs and haven't had a chance to shower yet.

Christmas dinner is usually a repeat of Thanksgiving dinner, with the addition of a dobosh torte or some other holiday themed dessert.

The day after Christmas is play with your new toys day.
The Gravekeeper
addicted to the macabre
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 10:20:08 PM »

I get to mix some of my family's Christmas traditions with my pagan ones. I do the whole Solstice thing (candles, entertainment, and staying up until sunrise), then partake in our tradition of h'ordeuvres (especially some yummy escargot) until around midnight on Christmas Eve.

As soon as the clock strikes twelve we open our presents before we go to bed. Sometimes we go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, but if someone's working we tend to just hang out at home to wait for them.

On Christmas Day we have some cipaille (it's kind of like if you baked a stew into a pie with a really nice, flaky crust) for supper and tend to start planning what stores we're going to hit up for what on Boxing Day. Sometimes we go to midnight mass on Christmas Eve, but if someone's working that day we tend to just hang out at home.

We usually visit with relatives before and after the 25th, but actually having company/being out of the house that day is unusual for us.

Since my boyfriend's mother is from the Netherlands, there's a fair chance that I'll have a rather late shoe full of goodies waiting for me, too. I may have to return the favor with something nice...
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:17 PM »

On Xmas day I zip over to my folks for a big-@$$ breakfast and some present unwrapping.  Normally we draw names and each person gets the parents something and the person they drew something.  But some family members still expect everyone to get something for my niece.  She's 15 now.  Give me a break; she's a little old for that now. 

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 12:39:07 AM »

It's changed drastically over the years.  But now, I kinda just stumble out of bed slightly hungover, I go to my aunt's for breakfast, do the gift exchange, head back home, shower, and pretty much lay down the rest of the day watching movies.

I may not do that this year.  I prefer to sleep on my day off, or at least, sleep in.  I've gotten to a point where I just generally dislike Christmas.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
claws
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2010, 01:14:59 AM »

Claws... did you do the shoe thing on  the 7th (St. Nikolaustag)?  When I was a wee fellow in Germany we did it, and we'd also go tood the Nuremberg Christmas Market.  I loved that so much.  I'd get a paper cone full of sugared nuts amd currywurst.
-Ed 
Yep, we always did the shoe thing when kids.
I've been to the Nuremberg Christkindel's Markt only once which is odd since I don't live too far off from Nuremberg. It was very nice the one time we went, but its hell if you go these days. Way too many people.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2010, 03:06:01 AM »

Our menu this year looks something like this:

25th - dinner at my sisters. Probably goose.
26th - dinner at home. Either turkey or glazed ham.

[Major tummy rumbles from Trevor]  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2010, 10:23:27 AM »

Christmas Eve is at my parents' house.  We have some traditional foods such as stuffed calamari served over linguine, shrimp, baked stuffed scallops, smelts, etc.

Christmas Day is also at my parents' house.  We open gifts around 10:00 in the morning, then relax for awhile.  Sometime between 2:00 and 4:00 we have a turkey dinner with stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, and vegetables.  Then we have coffee and pie for dessert.  A couple hours later I'll usually make a turkey sandwich.  Then we gather up all our gifts and go home.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
theedinburghbteam
Dedicated Viewer

Bringing the trash home!

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 10:46:41 AM »

My usual Christmas would start with catching up with friends from my old stomping ground by drinking on Christmas Eve, and try and not get too drunk.

Christmas Day would be spent with my mum and sister, not leaving the house and eating various crappy foods all day, watching a lot of movies and playing video games.

Boxing Day was our meal day, and we'd cook the whole turkey dinner effort. Some years various family would come over then, and we'd do all that and get drunk.

Sadly, this year I am working on Boxing Day, so not sure what we're gonna do. I imagine it's not going to be a lot, which will be a nice change. And theres free heating at my mums, which is nice.

The Edinburgh B-Team! B-Movie double bill, every Monday at the Jekyll & Hyde Pub, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, Scotland! 7pm onwards! Free entry and free popcorn!
Couchtr26

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 06:38:06 PM »

How is the Leberkäse?  I've been curious on it as I understand it is kind of a smoked liver pate.  I recently started enjoying liver though I was never big on it growing up. 

Here, we open gifts usually little things movies and such and eat a meal reminiscent of Thanksgiving but with a few less pies.  Also, a large breakfast usually french toast and coffee.  Cocoa, fruits and bacon are also served. 

Ah, the good old days.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »

I havent put up a tree since 2007. This year I DO have a tree....real Charlie Brown one. I'll cook the turkey I get from my job. Dont get into Christmas too much anymore. Bad memories.
It will be cool when Adian gets the age I can buy him GI Joes and Hot Wheels!  Smile
Tara died December 24th,2008.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 02:30:14 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 02:38:29 AM »

How is the Leberkäse?  I've been curious on it as I understand it is kind of a smoked liver pate.  I recently started enjoying liver though I was never big on it growing up.  

For starters, there is no liver in Leberkäse  Wink It's classic German hot lunch food "to go" served with mustard on a kaiser roll.
Good leberkäse should come with a crispy thick dark crunchy crust, and the meat's texture should be tender and 'wobbly' and should fall apart when taking a bite.
You can buy ready made Leberkäse at stores here but the texture is firm and heavy, which I don't always prefer. Some butchers offer leberkäse in tin foil roasting pans to bake at home.
Local restaurants also offer Leberkäse served with an fried egg, spinach and fried potatoes. Good stuff  Thumbup
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 04:19:28 AM by claws » Logged
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Christmas around the bad movie world « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.