Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:34:35 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tron Legacy « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 8162 times)
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 17, 2010, 07:47:44 PM »

Yeah, I went to a midnight screening of Tron Legacy. 

Basically, it was pretty meh.  The new lead character is OK.  Not great, not bad.  I'd compare him to any lead character played by Shia.  OK, but not great.  The visuals are good.  I watched Tron for the first time in at least 15 years the day before I saw the new one, so I can say fairly safely I like the visuals more in the original.  It's a more unique look, with the combination of hand-drawn animation (all the color in the live action shots is drawn on black and white live footage), traditional matte elements, and very primitive CG.  The new one isn't bad or anything though - again, the costume designs are very good, and it looks decent enough. 

That may be surprising, that I like the look of the original better, but what's far more surprising is the original is a better written film.   I say this as I feel the original Tron has a fairly lackluster script, with some fairly poorly explained elements, characters that appear far too late in the film (Yori), and so forth.  But what it didn't do was overstay its welcome by half an hour and try to introduce too many ideas as this one does.  Eysos (I have no idea on the spelling) are entirely pointless, for one example.  There are also a number of pretty lame lines - Jeff Bridges acts like the Dude a lot, and other times like a Zen master.  It's odd and feels inappropriate.  The lead guy has a lot of throwaway lines that feel like bits to cut to fit into a trailer. 

Acting is OK.  Bridges does good work with not so good material.  Olivia Wilde was actually pretty solid in a pretty limited role.  A lot better than some other young female actresses who are put into movies as eye candy (Megan Fox, for example). 

Oh, and if you're wondering, the title character does return in this one. 

Overall, it's passably entertaining I guess.  But pretty forgettable.  6/10.

The original Tron is a 7/10 from me, for what that is worth.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »

Yeah, I went to a midnight screening of Tron Legacy. 

Basically, it was pretty meh.  The new lead character is OK.  Not great, not bad.  I'd compare him to any lead character played by Shia.  OK, but not great.  The visuals are good.  I watched Tron for the first time in at least 15 years the day before I saw the new one, so I can say fairly safely I like the visuals more in the original.  It's a more unique look, with the combination of hand-drawn animation (all the color in the live action shots is drawn on black and white live footage), traditional matte elements, and very primitive CG.  The new one isn't bad or anything though - again, the costume designs are very good, and it looks decent enough. 

That may be surprising, that I like the look of the original better, but what's far more surprising is the original is a better written film.   I say this as I feel the original Tron has a fairly lackluster script, with some fairly poorly explained elements, characters that appear far too late in the film (Yori), and so forth.  But what it didn't do was overstay its welcome by half an hour and try to introduce too many ideas as this one does.  Eysos (I have no idea on the spelling) are entirely pointless, for one example.  There are also a number of pretty lame lines - Jeff Bridges acts like the Dude a lot, and other times like a Zen master.  It's odd and feels inappropriate.  The lead guy has a lot of throwaway lines that feel like bits to cut to fit into a trailer. 

Acting is OK.  Bridges does good work with not so good material.  Olivia Wilde was actually pretty solid in a pretty limited role.  A lot better than some other young female actresses who are put into movies as eye candy (Megan Fox, for example). 

Oh, and if you're wondering, the title character does return in this one. 

Overall, it's passably entertaining I guess.  But pretty forgettable.  6/10.

The original Tron is a 7/10 from me, for what that is worth.

Hmm... how was the soundtrack?  I heard Daft Punk was doing it and I am a fan of them.  I'm quite curious to hear if it was good or not.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:30:02 PM »

Some of it was pretty good, but actually I didn't really notice it much.  Some of it reminded me of Mass Effect's score for some reason.
dean

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 08:42:38 AM »

I saw this at imax, and quite enjoyed it, but as Jim says, there were a few elements that weren't great or that have a point.

The ISOs were a clear example: I kind of like where they may go with it, but wish they used their role a bit more.  As it is the gravity of wiping out an entire 'race' was a fair side note when it could have been much more interesting.

Completely agree with 'The Dude' coming on too strong in Bridge's performance, though the crowd seemed to love it.

I enjoyed the visuals, and wish there was more action, as it got a little too 'talky' but it wasn't as bad as some of the reviews I read made it out to be.  The 3D elements when they were there, were really good, but used far too sparsely to really have them there at all: if there was one film out this year to really kick 3D butt, it should have been this one, but they kind of dropped the ball.  That being said, the start and end titles had some fun 3D.

The soundtrack was great, I actually bought it the week before and was listening to it quite a bit.  Wish there was more of the traditional Daft Punk style: there is no 'Around the world' classics here, but they did a pretty good job.  They also had a cameo [of course].

Overall its a solid 2.5/5 film pumped up to a 3 if you're a sci-fi buff and like the effects/soundtrack.  Certainly not a bad one to watch but not exactly what would be a necessary-to-view at cinemas. 

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
hedgie
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 01:23:08 PM »

I saw this on an Imax screen too, and the 3d was amazing.  So was the score, and the art design/effects were great too, they were true to the original film but updated accordingly with the quantam leaps in technology.  The script, while a little cheesy, was better than I expected, and it actually made a little bit more sense than the original.  I admit, it did go on a little too long, but when you've paid $15.50 each for 2 tickets, that is a good thing. 4.5/5

btw,  the dude abides...
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 01:43:58 PM »

Hehe. Jeff Bridges IS The Dude. The Dude permeates his entire being. So much so that I think it will forever bleed into everything he does. That's okay with me.

I have a feeling I'll see The Dude in The Coen Brothers' True Grit as well.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 11:07:48 PM »

yup, some company made 5 light cycles, each one a colour of the accents used in the movie. TongueOut

yeah no.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 08:06:13 AM »

Didn't really have any hope for this one.  Think I'll just watch the first one again instead.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Hammock Rider

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 09:47:27 AM »

I think the creators of the original Tron  were trying to just make a fun, exciting sci-fi film. You really can't plan to catch lightning in a bottle so it's not surprising that any sequal doesn't do that. This one has Jeff Bridges, Olivia Wilde as eye candy and some cool FX.  That sounds like a decent enough time to me.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Jim H

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 06:46:17 PM »

I think the creators of the original Tron  were trying to just make a fun, exciting sci-fi film. You really can't plan to catch lightning in a bottle so it's not surprising that any sequal doesn't do that. This one has Jeff Bridges, Olivia Wilde as eye candy and some cool FX.  That sounds like a decent enough time to me.

A big thing is they really tried to push technology with it, in a way no other film except maybe King Kong can compare.  I mean, they have like 15-20 minutes of ALL CG FOOTAGE in 1982.  It's pretty remarkable when you think about the state of computers back then - the computer they were using had 2 megabytes of memory, and 330 megs of storage.  My current computer has 8 gigabytes, or over EIGHT THOUSAND megs of memory, and my total storage is something like 3,000,000 megs of storage.  They didn't even have any way of meshing the CG bits with live action, so they had to use careful editing (very well done I might add).  Tron's a pretty amazing technical accomplishment in a lot of ways.  Tron: Legacy is well-done, but it's basically par for the course these days.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2010, 08:00:41 PM »

Saw the film the other day and I thought it was good.

Positives first: I thought all the techincal aspects of it were fantastic.  Good atmosphere, great visual design, excellent CGI, set design impressive, lighting well done, and all that jazz.  Soundtrack was awesome and I'm probably thinking of finding that soundtrack to buy.  The relationship between father and son was well done and very believable, the relationship between the son and female program didn't feel forced or tacked on either, and I liked that villian had a bit of dimension to him.  Action was great though, if a bit short in some parts, and the lightcycling stuff was probably the best.

Negatives: The acting was good, but there were a couple of points of that took out of the experience.  One of the actors was hamming it up way too much and it felt out of place.  Heck, he ruin the fight scene in the club when the camera kept cutting back to him.  Some other moments from other characters felt a bit too stiff or a bit cheesy as well.  The story didn't impressive me that much since I was able to call a few plot points a bit in advance.  Didn't ruin the movie, but still.

Overall, I say 3 out of 5 for everyone and a 4 out of 5 for me since I'm able to look past a few of the negatives, even if they were a bother.  Probably helped that I never seen the original film and never bought at all into the hype.  Barely even knew this film was coming out until a month before.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2010, 10:12:08 PM »

Went to see it with my wife and daughter on Christmas Eve; we all really enjoyed it.  To be honest, it's been so long since I've seen the first one I had pretty well forgotten it anyway.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
100Nights
Connoisseur of B-Cinema
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2011, 02:35:18 PM »

How was Clu's plan suppose to work? In the first film they established that whatever the laser struck it held the matter in the beam.
For Clu to bring his army out they would all have to be made out of matter already in the machine, which was enough for 2 people.

The pace of this film really dragged for me. The only scene that seemed even a little lively was the completely unnecessary bar scene.
Where Zuse gives Sheogorath a run for his money. Even the chase scenes, I felt lacked any sort of excitement and tension.

I also feel like this film makes takes too many elements from previous and better films, like Star Wars (especially A New Hope), The Matrix, and even The Big Lebowski.

Honestly wasn't super impressed either with the plot or the 3D. The 2D scenes were clear enough but there were some 3D scenes that just seemed really flat to me.
Also can a movie end these days without having a sequel hook in it?

100 Nights: We suffer so you don't have to.
InformationGeek
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2011, 04:43:36 PM »

Also can a movie end these days without having a sequel hook in it?

There was a sequel hook?  I didn't notice.

akiratubo

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2011, 08:40:24 PM »

I thought this movie was GREAT!  It focused on just a few characters and those characters were good characters played by good actors.  The villains were competent.  The movie took itself seriously - no relentless "comedy" like, for example, the recent Transformers atrocities movies.  Actually, Tron Legacy is really quite a sad movie.  The plot was simple and straightforward.  The camera work was such that *GASP* you could tell what was going on during the action scenes!!!  It was wonderful to see Jeff Bridges and, somewhat surprisingly, Bruce Boxleitner in their old roles, plus their de-aged versions.  I loved the visual aesthetic of the movie.

Oh, and the biggest merit this movie has?  It's an honest-to-goodness sequel, not a "re-imagining".

I do have a few complaints.  The music gets repetitive after awhile.  The scenes on the train drug on for too long.  It didn't feel like Kevin Flynn did enough.  I wanted to see him go into battle, not just use his "user power" to affect the environment (though him giving the good guys extra power just by showing up during the nightclub fight was kind of cool).

*spoiler alert*

When Tron turned back to blue just before he died, I almost cried.  That made the movie for me.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011, 08:44:03 PM by akiratubo » Logged

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tron Legacy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.