Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:19:22 PM
714349 Posts in 53094 Topics by 7741 Members
Latest Member: SashaHilly
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tron Legacy « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Tron Legacy  (Read 8266 times)
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Never give up on love

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2011, 07:11:40 AM »

I saw this one just the other day.  I enjoyed it although my partner found it quite "meh" as well.  I thought the sfx were awesome, especially how the characters crumbled into tinkling bits when they got killed.

I think I saw the original all those years ago but I don't really remember, so this movie was a whole new ball game for me.  I saw it in 3D and was disappointed that it wasn't that great.  I've seen a few movies in 3D in the last 12 months and they've all "popped" but this one didn't.  I actually struggled to find the 3D scenes.

Overall it was good and kept me entertained, but not great and thought it could have benefitted from being a little shorter.  I doubt that I will buy it when it comes available, unless it's super cheap ($10 or under).

I give it 3 out of 5.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
venomx
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2011, 02:32:41 PM »

I've finally seen it! I was really lucky I got to go to Tropicana's IMAX 3D in Atlantic City.

After all this time waiting... reading bad reveiws about the story. I was blown away! I loved it! The 3D FX were some of the best I have ever seen. Ever. I even jumped a few times.

I enjoyed the story about the ISOs. The whole Zen thing was pretty damn cool too. I didn't like Castor though he acted like a human the whole time not very program like, too much humor and too sassy.

I can't really get into Tron "himself" because I dont want to mess the movie up for who ever didn't see it yet. But I really enjoyed seeing "TRON". wink.

If you see this in IMAX 3D you WILL be blown away. The soundtrack by Daft Punk was amazing!

I'm getting this went it comes out on DVD and watching it again and again and again.

Small | Large
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 01:58:34 AM »

The writing was behind the FX, just like in the first.
I was a bit disappointed, I'd say, in that the plot was not well worked out.

FX and fights were great.
The dude playing Zeus was pretty entertainingly weird.

I loved Daft Punk's cameo.  I particularly liked that they didn't have to dress up, and they fit right in.
Soundtrack, excellent.  Visuals, very good.

But... eh...  didn't live up to my hope, so hafta give 2.5 of 4.
moviegoersclub
New Visitor

« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2011, 02:12:44 AM »

The sequel of Tron made up the regret of technical limitations.The biggest selling points of the movie is the digital world,it’s amazing.All prototypes are from the Tron in the sequel,but there is a visual leap.The offer was just a drawing,Tron:Legacy finished the product.The 3D and computer generated can called surpasses magnificence,it’s a eyeball party.Tron:Legacy’s each frame called crafted,streamlined motorcycle luminous,textured glass arena,and Flynn’s residence in white,modern style of home design,the architecture background can be seen everywhere.Joseph Kosinski graduated form GSAPP. Of course,the architect is not good at the plot of the story after all.In a word,it’s a dazzled movie.

if you want to know more iinfo about Tron:Legacy,go to my website:moviegoersclub.com.
100Nights
Connoisseur of B-Cinema
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 12:24:13 AM »

Also can a movie end these days without having a sequel hook in it?

There was a sequel hook?  I didn't notice.

The son puts the city on that thumb drive, has Quorra in tow, and Tron was seen turning blue in the sea of simulation.
That is enough unresolved plot threads for me to call it a sequel hook.
I also suspect that they are going to make Jeff Bridges survive somehow, I just don't see how they can do a sequel without him, even if he is a "ghost" or whatever the cyber equivalent would be.

100 Nights: We suffer so you don't have to.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2011, 10:32:37 AM »

I'd give it a 3.5

I think I liked it more than the first. Even if you're not paying attention to the plot - which even though I've just finished watching it, I still can't remember what it was - you can still enjoy the cool trancy feel of it all.
I guess, thats whats important in a way. No one watches Tron for a heart warming, family tear jerker.

I'd happily watch it again.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 10:41:00 AM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2011, 01:29:54 PM »

How was Clu's plan suppose to work? In the first film they established that whatever the laser struck it held the matter in the beam.
For Clu to bring his army out they would all have to be made out of matter already in the machine, which was enough for 2 people.

I wasn't really concerned about where the matter would come from, but I did wonder how that laser in the basement was going to construct an entire ship full of troops and equipment. I can accept that the digital world functions as some sort of other dimension, with beings able to travel both ways, but it might have helped if CLU were given an obvious means to open a doorway and march his army through. And I had to wonder how their vehicles and weapons were going to function out in the real world.

One way to look at it is that CLU really didn't understand how things functioned outside of his world. Maybe things like matter and physics were too far outside his experience, and his invasion was doomed from the start. It would even fit with the character, a rigid thinker who lacks certain insights and seems incapable of recognizing his own limitations. Mind you, if that were the case, you'd think it might have occurred to Flynn.

That actually could have worked. If the writers had thought about it, the Flynns could just as easily have been out to stop CLU from an act of foolishness that would damage the laser and trap them permanently, or maybe crash the computer and kill them all. That would fit nicely with the idea of everyday computer functions being events of great significance for the world inside the machine. Making CLU a real physical threat to our world seems like a cool idea in some ways, but I think it was a mistake. I like thinking of the digital world as a vast but tiny place where little things in our world can have huge consequences.

Even ignoring the problems of an artificial intelligence manifesting itself as a living human body that never existed before, I can't shake the thought that if CLU's army did manage to come through, they'd just be a bunch of guys who were either unarmed (and possibly naked), or carrying weapons that don't work outside of a digital world. And the invasion force is not really that large when you think about it. Certainly not large enough for world domination, even if their technology somehow worked.

Apart from that, I really enjoyed the movie. Maybe the story could be a little more focused and some of the hows and whys could be better addressed, but it was fun.

I do wish they'd done a little bit more with the Tron character though. I liked the idea of him being presumed dead but really turned into a masked henchman by CLU, and it was nice to have him remember who he was and help out at the end, but for that kind of a story, he really needed to be more of a complete character. I don't know. Maybe he was written in at the last minute. Maybe he's just there to tease us, and he'll be back in a sequel. But I can't help feeling like they just didn't want to fork out the dough for more than a couple of CGI shots of young Bruce Boxleitner.

And I thought everything at Encom seemed kind of glossed over. The original Tron had more going on there. It had the digital world ruled by the tyrannical MCP, which had its own plans for world domination through controlling computers, but Tron also had a villain on the outside, and objectives to be achieved there. Dillinger and the MCP are breaking into other computers and stealing software and data. Dillinger got where he is by plagiarizing Flynn's work, and Flynn needs the evidence. And there was the whole parallel between excessive network security at Encom and the police state inside the computer - an idea that would resonate even more today. Sure, Tron Legacy has the story of Sam finding a direction for his life and deciding he wants to run the company, but there's seemingly nothing at stake there. The company's his if he wants it. I mean, they establish that Flynn's vision is history, Alan isn't taken seriously, the son of Ed Dillinger is a rising star in the company, and the board are great admirers of the former CEO and real-world villain of the original movie (even after he presumably went to prison amid a giant scandal). The movie hastily establishes all this as background, and we never hear of it again. All Sam needs to do is want to run the company, and all that goes away because he owns a controlling interest. I found that more far-fetched than anything else. Mind you, this is a company whose other shareholders don't sue his ass when he deliberately sabotages its efforts to make money.

Again, maybe we'll see a battle for control of Encom and some rivalry between Sam and Dillinger Jr. in a sequel, or maybe not. There are some ideas introduced that might make for an interesting sequel. It would be nice to get David Warner back as both Dillinger and a digital counterpart. A newer and more refined Sark program perhaps. Warner's about 70, not too old to reprise the role, especially with some CGI youthanizing. Hmmm, don't think that term will catch on. TeddyR Wonder what they do call it.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 01:34:58 PM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
RD
Bad Movie Lover

I make the bad movies.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 02:23:28 PM »

I didn't grow up with nostalgia for tron, once I finally saw it I thought it was cheesy but fun. I saw this one in theaters and it bored me to tears. Just talk and talk and talk about what computer can do... Hatred  More motorcyle races please.

=== ===
           Go Robo!
Robocop
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 12:21:40 AM »

Haven't seen Tron Legacy and only saw the original a couple of months ago, so unlike some I'm not blinded by nostalgic with my assessment on the film.

It was definitely a visual landmark that artistically could only be achieved with the help of CG, and even though the FX don't hold up to well, it set the industry forward some which I acknowledge. Wasn't too fussed about the story, the acting, the dialog or the pacing, the direction was a bit sloppy as well, but its not a bad film, and I'll certainly get along to watching the sequel. 
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 09:38:54 AM »

yup, some company made 5 light cycles, each one a colour of the accents used in the movie. TongueOut

Who is the dork in the picture trying to throw signs?  LOLOMGWAD.

I saw the movie last night.  I liked it a lot.  The end part was a little sad but great movie story and affects.  The story premise has been used before.  WWII anyone body?  X-Men anyone?  I would recommend a watching to anyone who has or has not seen the first Tron.

I like how they had Flynn and Flynn's friend (forgot the name) in the movie an then had the son of Dilenger.  The use of Cloo again.  I like how Disney used "That is a big door!" again.  That was funny.

I woul give a 4.75 out of 5.

Later,

John

Small | Large

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 09:04:20 AM »

This was the first 3-D blu-ray I bought.  I had little idea what was going on through most of it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2011, 09:23:47 AM »

I saw this  couple of weeks ago. I enjoyed it but I agree that the visuals in the original were weirder/cooler. Of course, the original's unique "look" had a lot to do with the technical limitations of the time.

Olivia Wilde looked great in one a' them skintight neon body suit thingies.  TeddyR

I thought Daft Punk's soundtrack was one of the highlights and I'm not even into that particular genre (electro/pop or whatever you want to call it). The music managed to sound both "retro" and futuristic at the same time, which is a nice trick.

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2011, 01:10:18 PM »

Saw it on an airplace to Norway a while back.  Nice bit of brain candy, NOT a classic. But a pleasant mainstream film.  I'm a TRON fan from way back.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 04:08:22 PM »

Watched it last night and I really liked it.  I loved the world they created, especially the games.  Seems like they put a fair bit of thought into bringing the whole "grid" into the 21st century.  I thought the characters were good - not the main guy so much, but Jeff Bridges and Olivia Wilde were both fantastic.  Bruce Boxleitner did a nice job with his character as well.  I understood the plot, didn't really have much trouble with that.  Loved it when Separate Ways by Journey started playing when Flynn went into the arcade   Thumbup  4.25/5. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Tron Legacy « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.