Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:01:10 PM
714221 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Author Topic: Overhyped Film 'Classics'  (Read 26851 times)
diamondwaspvenom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 08:12:02 AM »

I've always found "Aliens" to be overrated. James Cameron ruined the franchise by turning an atmospheric horror movie with a mysterious, deadly monster into another brainless, bang bang, shoot 'em up. Also, we bid farewell to the mysterious unknown background of the alien 'cause now it has become another brainless bug from outer space.

Damn you, Cameron. Damn you.  Hatred
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 08:16:16 AM »

GONE WITH THE WIND. Frankly my dear,I dont give a sh!t.
TITANIC.Took too long to sink.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I have never really understood the love that Woody Allen gets for his films: I have never 'got' any of his films at all. I also loathe any film that is made by foreign filmmakers that highlights the supposedly unique racial brutality and injustices in my country, much like German people dislike films like Judgement At Nuremberg.

Agree about Woody Allen. Whatta sniveling little worm! He needs to eat some BBQ meat and wash it down with some grog !!!! Grow a set,man!!!  Buggedout

I still enjoy Allen's Sleeper, Zelig, Purple Rose of Cairo, and a couple more of his earlier films, and Manhattan is gorgeously filmed and still good to watch. After those, he started to take himself seriously, and his films, while well made, were almost all unwatchable to me. But then, I seem to like quite a few movies and musicians that no one else here likes.  Bluesad  TongueOut

Oh, and I'll second and third RC's dislike for Rocky Horror Picture Show. Can't stand that one. People figure I must love it since I like really odd movies, but that one just tries too hard to be weird, and it fails. Give me Forbidden Zone any day.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
claws
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2010, 08:22:54 AM »

I've always found "Aliens" to be overrated. James Cameron ruined the franchise by turning an atmospheric horror movie with a mysterious, deadly monster into another brainless, bang bang, shoot 'em up. Also, we bid farewell to the mysterious unknown background of the alien 'cause now it has become another brainless bug from outer space.

Damn you, Cameron. Damn you.  Hatred

Everybody's entitled to their own opinion but I don't see how Cameron "ruined" the franchise. If anything, he gave it a cool boost (surpassing Alien at the box office) and Sigourney Weaver an Oscar nomination. So much for brainless bang bang eh? ;) Should be:

Thank you, Cameron. Thank you.  Wink
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2010, 10:40:20 AM »

Dances With Wolves - and this is coming from a guy who should love it because I love historical stuff. But I just never got into it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. And something about the white Indian chick who was somehow able to get ahold of a bottle SprayNet in the 1800's with which to tease up her hair just rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2010, 05:48:35 PM »

Dances With Wolves - and this is coming from a guy who should love it because I love historical stuff. But I just never got into it. It wasn't bad, it just wasn't good. And something about the white Indian chick who was somehow able to get ahold of a bottle SprayNet in the 1800's with which to tease up her hair just rubbed me the wrong way.

I loved DANCES WITH WOLVES (I have only seen the extended version, not the original theatrical version).  I thought the only drawback was the ending.  I thought, "That's it?"  I was expecting a really spectacular ending, but it just sort of ended without a big bang.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 09:56:56 PM »

Most of the brat pack movies from the 80s.  The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Peggy Sue Got Married, etc.  I just never liked them. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 10:26:25 PM »

I wouldn't call it a 'classic' by any means, but even when I was 5 I knew of 'Bram Stoker's Dracula'. That film was a big deal when it came out.

Saw it recently and it was clunky and over acted acted.
A bit rubbish really.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Paquita

« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2010, 10:37:01 PM »

Most of the brat pack movies from the 80s.  The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Peggy Sue Got Married, etc.  I just never liked them. 

Ugh I never liked them either.  I also don't like any of the Kevin Smith movies, but I don't think they're really considered classics.
Pilgermann

« Reply #38 on: December 20, 2010, 11:01:41 PM »

This board's always interesting when it comes to topics like this.  It's fun (and sometimes baffling) seeing the variety of views on cinema.  I can't imagine not getting enjoyment from films like Blade Runner and Apocalypse Now, but anywho, here're some of my choices:

Gone With the Wind - I'll give it credit for a few impressive moments, and although it's super-long it goes by in no time, but I hated Scarlett so much and to spend such an amount of time with that character isn't much fun for me.  And I also like a quote from a a capsule review on Criticker.com, " I cannot forgive a film which presents a cotton plantation as a symbol of hope and glory."

Blue Velvet - There are things I admire about it, but overall it left me empty.  I'll probably watch it again.

A Clockwork Orange - Kubrick presents some bold stuff here, but again, and empty experience.

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »

A.I.- Artificial Intelligence- Went WAY too long and it is... a fairy tale? When the *SPOILERS* Aliens came, it just went down hill from there
*/SPOILERS*

Citizen Kane- Boring beyond belief. People loves it, I HATE it with a passion! Thumbdown

yeah no.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2010, 11:04:49 AM »

Ugh I never liked them either.  I also don't like any of the Kevin Smith movies, but I don't think they're really considered classics.

Hit or miss for me on brat pack movies. I can't stand The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, or St. Elmo's Fire (gag). However, I can appreciate Sixteen Candles and Weird Science.

BTM

« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2010, 11:09:21 AM »

A.I.- Artificial Intelligence- Went WAY too long and it is... a fairy tale? When the *SPOILERS* Aliens came, it just went down hill from there
*/SPOILERS*

Citizen Kane- Boring beyond belief. People loves it, I HATE it with a passion! Thumbdown

Technically, I don't think there were *SPOILERS*Aliens.  I think they were advanced Mecha that had survived whatever wiped out the living humans. *SPOILERS*

But yeah, A.I. just went on waaay to damn long and it seemed like they couldn't figure out what they wanted the storyline to be.  It's like, okay, he's with the mom and dad, their real kid is in a coma, so we're going to explore whether or not an artificial being can be a replacement for their "real" son, what it means to be family, something like that?  Oh, no, wait, the kid woke up!  So, now we're going to explore the dynamic of the whole family with the newly awoken kid adjusting to all the time that's passed and things that have changed and perhaps accepting his robotic "brother" and everyone's going to learn stuff from each other and this will be.. oh, wait, nope, they tossed the robot out.  

Okay, now the robot is on his own with just the teddy bear, he's on this quest to find the Dr. No guy.. oh, and we got a Gigolo robot falsely accused of murder, now we'll probably talk about whether or not to treat mechs so badly just cause they're not human, and the nature of jealousy and how it can affect.. oh wait, nope, they dropped that thread.  Okay, so, the family will figure out it was all a misunderstanding, they come after the boy, oh, wait, guess not.  

Alright then, we'll find Doctor Know and he'll have some kind of answer.. maybe we're going for a Wizard of Oz type thing we're they'll tell the boy... wait, no, now we're off to find this Blue Fairy and, DAMMIT TO HELL, will you guys f**king PICK a plot line to follow!

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2010, 11:59:22 AM »

*/SPOILERS*

Technically, I don't think there were *SPOILERS*Aliens.  I think they were advanced Mecha that had survived whatever wiped out the living humans. *SPOILERS*

But yeah, A.I. just went on waaay to damn long and it seemed like they couldn't figure out what they wanted the storyline to be.  It's like, okay, he's with the mom and dad, their real kid is in a coma, so we're going to explore whether or not an artificial being can be a replacement for their "real" son, what it means to be family, something like that?  Oh, no, wait, the kid woke up!  So, now we're going to explore the dynamic of the whole family with the newly awoken kid adjusting to all the time that's passed and things that have changed and perhaps accepting his robotic "brother" and everyone's going to learn stuff from each other and this will be.. oh, wait, nope, they tossed the robot out.  

Okay, now the robot is on his own with just the teddy bear, he's on this quest to find the Dr. No guy.. oh, and we got a Gigolo robot falsely accused of murder, now we'll probably talk about whether or not to treat mechs so badly just cause they're not human, and the nature of jealousy and how it can affect.. oh wait, nope, they dropped that thread.  Okay, so, the family will figure out it was all a misunderstanding, they come after the boy, oh, wait, guess not.  

Alright then, we'll find Doctor Know and he'll have some kind of answer.. maybe we're going for a Wizard of Oz type thing we're they'll tell the boy... wait, no, now we're off to find this Blue Fairy and, DAMMIT TO HELL, will you guys f**king PICK a plot line to follow!

This was originally a Stanley Kubrick project. Then, I think, at some point Speilberg got involved, then Kubrick passed away, and Speilberg took the helm. I respect Speilberge, but I got the impression he was trying to be respectful of Kubrick and keep it somewhat a Kubrick film and since that's not his thing it just failed in the translation. I appreciated what the film was trying to do and liked the concept, but it just didn't work well. I'm curious how the film would have turned out had Kubrick had helmed it as intended.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2010, 12:04:30 PM »

Most of the brat pack movies from the 80s.  The Breakfast Club, Pretty In Pink, Peggy Sue Got Married, etc.  I just never liked them.  

Ugh I never liked them either.  I also don't like any of the Kevin Smith movies, but I don't think they're really considered classics.
Kevin Smith movies are hit or miss for me with a mostly "miss" end result.  I like Clerks for it's offbeat humor.  I also thought Jersey Girl was a touching film that went outside Smith's d!ck and f@rt jokes.  However pretty much all the others I'd rather not partake in after watching them once.  Especially Chasing Amy.  Thumbdown

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2010, 01:34:30 PM »

that Batman movie that came out last year that everyone loved with Heath Ledger. I watched like half an hour of it and turned it off when the Joker was giving a speech about good vs evil and evoking Cicero or something.  yawn
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.