Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:05:12 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Author Topic: Overhyped Film 'Classics'  (Read 26553 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: December 17, 2010, 09:18:42 PM »

I have just finished my film class and I have to say, just about every single film shown did not impress me.  Don't get me wrong, they were all good and I get why they are considered classics, but they all seem to be overhyped and not as good as everyone sets them up to be.  As such, I found Psycho, Blade Runner (ESPECIALLY Blade Runner), Bonnie and Clyde, and The Silence of the Lambs not really amazing or knocking my socks off.

How about you guys, are there any films that are classics that you just don't get or are just not that amazing to you?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »

I have just finished my film class and I have to say, just about every single film shown did not impress me.  Don't get me wrong, they were all good and I get why they are considered classics, but they all seem to be overhyped and not as good as everyone sets them up to be.  As such, I found Psycho, Blade Runner (ESPECIALLY Blade Runner), Bonnie and Clyde, and The Silence of the Lambs not really amazing or knocking my socks off.

I agree with you on those, except for Silence of the Lambs.

I thought M was incredibly boring.  I stopped watching it, intending to go back, and never finished it.  8 1/2 I didn't find boring, but didn't like much personally.
Menard
Bad Movie Lover

I Am Vitriol...When You Say My Name You Praise Me

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 09:57:59 PM »

I do disagree with you on Blade Runner, but I do have the advantage of having seen it when it was released on the big screen. Though I like it as much on the small set, there is for any movie something added by seeing it on the big screen; that advantage could have affected my opinion of it regardless of subsequent viewings. Also when it came out, it was something quite different; over time, with so many big budget movies and effects, it may well not be all that for someone seeing it today.

One that I don't quite yet get as a classic is Caddyshack. I guess overall it is funnier than it is not, but other than having some well known cast members in one movie, I just don't get what's suppose to be great about it.

There are some others, I just can't think of them right now.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 10:13:04 PM »

I love Blade Runner.
I just think you have to be in the right mood for it and know what kinda genre it is. Its not an action film and that disappoints a lot of people.

E.T. is mine.
Its well made but I just don't get it.  Question I think it tries too hard for my liking.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2010, 03:50:34 AM »

The film that is probably the worst for me in terms of hype vs. delivery would be Rear Window. I came in expecting a tense thriller, I got a garden-variety murder mystery that didn't utilize its full potential thrill-wise (at least I didn't think it did), and that intercut the tension with some rather awkward seeming romantic interludes. I know RW is famous for both, but I think the dual plotlines kind of leech off each other; had it been a film about either the romantic plot or the murder investigation I think it would have been a lot more effective to me.

I also agree about Caddyshack, though the film has a few detractors already, so it doesn't take top-spot for me.

Horror of Dracula and Dead of Night are two others I find puzzlingly popular, but they aren't so much regarded as classic by the general film-watching public but by the horror community.

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:02:07 AM »

I thought Silence of the Lambs was a huge disappointment.  Ooh, here's the bad guy, he's Mr. Evil - isn't he scary?  No, not at all really.  Psycho was another bland movie.  I suppose it was scary at the time, but it's no longer that time. 

All those Hitchcock movies don't do a thing for me either.

Blade Runner was good, but I don't understand the gigantically high regard some people have for it. 

Halloween is another one.  A very ordinary, average slasher.  Don't really care for Jamie Lee Curtis' character at all.  Never found Micheal Meyers to be scary.  He kind of makes me laugh actually, sort of like Hannibal Lecter.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2010, 09:25:48 AM »

STAR WARS. I seen it on the big screen when it first came out. Overblown Flash Gordon serial (oodly-I love the old Flash serials!).
ET-blah. Sugary sweet mush.
The GODFATHER. Overlong gangster soap opera.
GONE WITH THE WIND. Frankly my dear,I dont give a sh!t.
TITANIC.Took too long to sink.
I'll catch hell for this one-The CAT PEOPLE. Boring. The pool scene is interesting. I enjoyed CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE much more.
Any LORD OF THE RINGS or HARRY POTTER movie. Yuch. Good for tweens,I guess.
BATMAN movies. Except the 1966 one!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BTM

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:07 AM »

I think part of the problem with a lot of classic movies is that they've been copied, ripped off, parodied and homaged so much that we don't realize what kickass movies they were when they first came out (there's probably a term for this, but I can't think of it off-hand.) 

For me, one of the films I thought was overhyped was Apocalypse Now.  Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good film, but for starters, I thought it was WAAAAY too damn long.  I don't mind long in the "We have a lot of story to tell, so this may a bit."  But long in the "Lets....pan....sloooowly...over...this....swamp.  See....the.....swamp.  Scene.  Cut to now, let's pan....slowly....over....the...boat..."

And the ending seem kinda silly to me.  It's like, "Okay, you're here to kill me, but I've captured you!  So, I'll talk to you a WHOLE bunch, then I'll go ahead and free you, so you can kill me anyway."

Um.. okay. 

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2010, 11:15:59 AM »

A cult film that most people assume I would like-ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW. A Broadway musical. With Meatloaf! Ack! Meatloaf alone is enuff to turn me off.  Lookingup
I kinda agree with SILENCE of the LAMBS. OK movie...but an Acadamy Award? Wha?  Question If any serial killer movie should have gotton an Oscar,it should have been HENRY:PORTRAIT OF A SERIAL KILLER. I cant watch a movie with Michael Rooker without feeling like he's going to kill someone at any given second.
OK. Here goes. The MUMMY (1932). Now...the photography is beautiful,and Karloff is...well...Karloff,but it's too slow-and boring. Jack Pierce did a bang up job though!
The MATRIX- "Check it out,dude! Im in slow mo!" Nuff sed.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 12:22:25 PM »

GANGS OF NEW YORK.  I've seldom been more disappointed in a historical film.  Slow, pretentious, and WWAAAAYYYYY too long!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Raffine

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 01:43:21 PM »

For me, one of the films I thought was overhyped was Apocalypse Now.  Don't get me wrong, I thought it was a good film, but for starters, I thought it was WAAAAY too damn long.  I don't mind long in the "We have a lot of story to tell, so this may a bit."  But long in the "Lets....pan....sloooowly...over...this....swamp.  See....the.....swamp.  Scene.  Cut to now, let's pan....slowly....over....the...boat..."

APOCALYPSE NOW has the dubious honor of being the only movie I ever walked out on in a theater.

I had gone with a good friend and we KNEW it was gonna be long, but it was quality and supposed to be good for us. After figuring at least two hours or more had passed I asked him how long this thing's been on. We were both surprised it had barely been an hour! We bailed.

Mind you - I saw JAWS: THE REVENGE, ANNIE, and NIGHT OF THE LEPUS during their theatrical runs!  TeddyR

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 03:23:35 PM »

Going by IMDB's top 250 of which I've seen...

The Dark Knight - Horribly overhyped and rather boring in parts
Psycho - As Jack said above, not a Hitchcock fan.
Wall-E - Very slow and awfully boring
Blade Runner - Maybe because I saw this later on in life, to me the film simply doesn't hold up.
Avatar - Dances with wolves meets CGI overload.  No thanks...
The Lion King - Honestly, I've always felt it was one of Disney's weakest entries.
Rocky - The first one bores me on rewatch value.  The sequels seem much better on rewatch level.
Mystic River - Terribly boring, you figure it would be better with the talent in it.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »

I'm surprised by the anti Hitchcock thing! I believe that Hitch is among the greatest film makers ever! Up there with Kubrick,Scorcese (did  I spell that right?) ,Fritz Lang,Walter Lantz (yes-WALTER LANTZ), Mario Bava, and Sergio Leone.

I know I wont convince those who dont like Hitch-but I gotta try! Hitch wasnt about gore...it was about showing people like you and me...and putting them into horrendous situations. The films start slow so you can identify and care about the people...and he hurts or kills them. Great filmaker.

And his camera was all over the place!

Small | Large

The BIRDS is a classic!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 03:53:17 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »

I don't think any of the films mentioned in the original post are overhyped. I rather like them.

Citizen Kane is certainly not a poor film, but I've never thought it deserved the "pefect example of filmmaking" tag it customarily gets.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2010, 04:37:33 PM »

I don't think any of the films mentioned in the original post are overhyped. I rather like them.

Citizen Kane is certainly not a poor film, but I've never thought it deserved the "pefect example of filmmaking" tag it customarily gets.

Agree!Found it long and dull.

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.