Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:57:10 AM
713335 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Author Topic: Overhyped Film 'Classics'  (Read 26552 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »

The Exorcist.

I always found The Omen far scarier.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2010, 04:46:48 PM »

The Exorcist.

I always found The Omen far scarier.
Really? I thought the OMEN was kinda cheezy!

Course I think BRIDE OF THE MONSTER is one of the best films ever made..so whatta I know.... Lookingup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
claws
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2010, 04:52:53 PM »

Life of Brian (1979)

Basically any Monty Python movie from the 70s and 80s. Not even sure if they are "classics" but they never did anything for me.
Criswell
i got better
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2010, 05:39:59 PM »

The Shaw-shank redemption. I thought It was a really good movie, but its far from one of the greatest movies ever made.

retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2010, 08:44:11 PM »

Breakfast At Tiffany's.  The lead character was a total ditz, and she never got likable at any point in the film.  By the end of the film George Peppard became a ditz too!  And of course, the incredibly racist portrayal of a Japanese person by Mickey Rooney.

Blade Runner was boring and unmemorable for me.

Almost anything out of the giallo genre hyped as a classic is awful IMO.

I didn't care for Ferris Bueller's Day Off, or pretty much anything John Hughes.

Didn't care for The Matrix or Men In Black because I don't care for Keanu Reeves or Will Smith.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2010, 09:38:17 PM »

I know I'm going to catch flack for this but anything Kubrick ever did ussually has about an hour extra footage that could have been cut from the movie without altering them any.  I watched a Clockwork Orange as a teenager, once you get past the shock value you have a pointless movie which drags from one horrifying sociopathic act to another to its pointless cyclical ending.  A Space Odysee 2001 has about 15 minutes of storyline and 1 hour of watching glowing lights on the main characters face.  He could have done something usefull in that time such as character or storyline development but no, we have some boring shot meant to show off the special effects of the day.  I know there are probably a ton of Kubrick devotees out there but I just can't stand his style.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Couchtr26

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2010, 10:07:37 PM »

Avatar - Dances with wolves meets CGI overload.  No thanks...

That is the thing that bothers me with this one.  Nothing was new to this story of fish out of water experiencing Stockholm Syndrome.  People are wowed too easy now. 

As far as for myself, big movies that are overhyped. 

A Clockwork Orange.  I get the story but it seems more a blurry mess. 
Jurassic Park.  I get people were impressed but the story never identified with me. 
It's a Wonderful Life.  Never got into it, I suppose I was too young to experience prior to being parodied. 
Sgt. York.  Good but overexposed, I can still remember when it came on TBS every weekend. 

Ah, the good old days.
66Crush
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2010, 11:11:34 PM »

Maybe your taste are a little left of center. Mine are. If your a film student, I hope that's the case because one day you might make a movie that I'll love. The truth is I'd rather watch a bad movie that's entertaining than a good movie that's boring. Blade Runner is beautiful looking movie, but outside of that it's nothing special. Harrison Ford gives his weakest performance and the story is so so. I never got Jurrasic Park, it just didn't hold my intrest. Avatar was very good, but overated. For me it just didn't live up to the hype. Effects movies are kind of notorious for that. I also didn't like Independence Day, Men in Black or The Matrix.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2010, 07:52:14 AM »

STAR WARS - Sure, it's good fun.  Sure it revived the sci-fi genre.  But the movie itself . . . a classic?  I think not.  I'd rather watch 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY, PLANET OF THE APES, FORBIDDEN PLANET, THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL, THE WAR OF THE WORLDS . . .

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2010, 08:25:42 AM »

Avatar - Dances with wolves meets CGI overload.  No thanks...

That is the thing that bothers me with this one.  Nothing was new to this story of fish out of water experiencing Stockholm Syndrome.  People are wowed too easy now. 

I'm more suprised that people considered this a classic already.  It's been just about a year now since it came out, so should it be considered a classic?  I did this topic about Film Classics, not ones that came out in the last decade, in hopes to talk about films from the past and not in recent years.  Plus, the way people talk here and on the Internet, can you even truly consider people thinking it is a classic?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2010, 08:56:44 AM »

I agree with the comment about Breakfast at Tiffany's. This is the only Audrey Hepburn movie I dislike. Her character is unlikeable, and that doesn't change over the course of the film.

I also found Citizen Kane to be overly obvious in its use of symbolism and just plain boring.

I freely admit that The Sound of Music is done well, tells a good story, and has some wonderful music. I'd still rather claw my way through the back wall than watch it. And I love musicals.

Now for a couple that haven't been mentioned. I don't find Fast Times at Ridgemont High to be funny. At all. Or engaging. Outside of the infamous Phoebe Cates scene, it's just a nearly unwatchable mishmash.

The Porky's franchise, if they can really be considered "classic," are also pretty dull and pointless. I guess I just can't relate to any of the characters well enough to care. Same with Animal House. None of these are funny or touching or at all reminiscent of my youth. Naked babes are great, but not great enough to save these flicks.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Couchtr26

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2010, 07:16:56 PM »

I'm more suprised that people considered this a classic already.  It's been just about a year now since it came out, so should it be considered a classic?  I did this topic about Film Classics, not ones that came out in the last decade, in hopes to talk about films from the past and not in recent years.  Plus, the way people talk here and on the Internet, can you even truly consider people thinking it is a classic?

Good point. 

Ah, the good old days.
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2010, 01:31:26 AM »

Life of Brian (1979)

Basically any Monty Python movie from the 70s and 80s. Not even sure if they are "classics" but they never did anything for me.
Does that include solo films like Brazil? :/

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2010, 01:52:37 AM »

GONE WITH THE WIND. Frankly my dear,I dont give a sh!t.
TITANIC.Took too long to sink.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I have never really understood the love that Woody Allen gets for his films: I have never 'got' any of his films at all. I also loathe any film that is made by foreign filmmakers that highlights the supposedly unique racial brutality and injustices in my country, much like German people dislike films like Judgement At Nuremberg.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2010, 06:50:31 AM »

GONE WITH THE WIND. Frankly my dear,I dont give a sh!t.
TITANIC.Took too long to sink.

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

I have never really understood the love that Woody Allen gets for his films: I have never 'got' any of his films at all. I also loathe any film that is made by foreign filmmakers that highlights the supposedly unique racial brutality and injustices in my country, much like German people dislike films like Judgement At Nuremberg.

Agree about Woody Allen. Whatta sniveling little worm! He needs to eat some BBQ meat and wash it down with some grog !!!! Grow a set,man!!!  Buggedout
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 06:53:48 AM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.