Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:37:18 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Author Topic: Overhyped Film 'Classics'  (Read 26547 times)
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2010, 11:50:44 AM »

Psycho's problem is that we all know what its about and that might make it seem a little slow to people. The first viwers might have thought they're were watching a heist film or a thriller.

HUGE SPOILER BUT YOU ALMOST CERTAINLY KNOW:

Imagine the shock when the main character dies halfway through.

I reckon when it was first shown it must have been very shocking.
Its a victim of its own success like Planet of the Apes or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2011, 09:09:17 AM »

Psycho's problem is that we all know what its about and that might make it seem a little slow to people. The first viwers might have thought they're were watching a heist film or a thriller.

HUGE SPOILER BUT YOU ALMOST CERTAINLY KNOW:

Imagine the shock when the main character dies halfway through.

I reckon when it was first shown it must have been very shocking.
Its a victim of its own success like Planet of the Apes or Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

PSYCHO is a great film-and I agree with you. When I first saw it,I already knew the outcome-(I owned the Richard Anobile frame by frame book that came out in the 70's-also the FRANKENSTEIN and 1932 DR JEKYLL AND MR HYDE boooks;those type of things were made obsolete when video became avalible) but even so-it still works for me. The music in PSYCHO is great-its a major factor for me. Even when Janet is driving down the road in the driving rain-the music screechs in time with her windsheild wipers-genuis. Imagine PSYCHO without the music-half the impact-the build up-is gone. And the shower scene still gives me goosebumps. WEEET! WEET! WEEET!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Neville

« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2011, 06:17:19 PM »

Here's another for the list, John Ford's "Mogambo". It's a love triangle between Ava Gardner, Clark Gable and Grace Kelly while they're on a safari in Africa. Ava Gardner is easily the best of the film. She's sex on legs, a role she probably was used to. But Gable is boring, Kelly annoying as Hell, and the adventure elements are reduced to natives chanting and the characters reacting to animals from stock footage.

I can imagine why it was so succesful at the time. Exotic scenario and three great stars in a daring -for the times- love triangle. But now it only looks mediocre.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2011, 06:59:45 PM »

"Blade Runner" is a strange animal. Being a sci-fi film and having Harrison Ford as the star it can be very, very misleading. Add to that that as a thriller or an action film the pace just doesn't work. What IMHO make it worthy are the visuals, the characters and the ideas in the script (what is what makes us human, real vs. simulated, etc.). I watched it a few times as a teenager and couldn't tell what the fuss was all about, I only started to enjoy it many years later.
Like Menard wrote on page one of this thread, I saw BLADE RUNNER in the theater (three times  Buggedout) which I expect helped a lot... you do a good job of pointing out what's best (and problematic) about the film, except one: VANGELIS' music.  Back in the day, I carried a tape recorder in to the theater to get the music which wasn't available for many years and is still incomplete in the currently available release...

"Bonnie and Clyde" is a good film, but what made it so special was the many rules it broke. I wouldn't be surprised if it had lost its appeal over the tears, as the film industry became more permissive.
BONNIE AND CLYDE is a great film.  I sat through it again in the past year.  It has not lost its appeal, reads quite modern (unlike dated "masterpieces" like THE GRADUATE made the same year) and even has the power still to shock. 

And "Silence of the lambs" is another misleading film. After "Hannibal" and the other sequels you may expect a more thrilling and gorier film, but it tries hard to be subtle, it's almost entirely devoted to the relationship that develops between Lecter and Clarice, and the rest of it is downplayed.
A very good film with brilliant performances, particularly by ANTHONY HOPKINS

"Psycho", on the other hand is a terrific film. It may a bit too slow and not that gory when compared by present day's psycho thrillers, but that shouldn't matter when Hitchcock's direction is that good.    
Yep.  Thumbup  There are some clumsy bits, but they are minor.  I do not think PSYCHO is slow, but perhaps claustrophobic.  Though I love REAR WINDOW best, PSYCHO is HITCHCOCK's most important film.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
ChaosTheory

« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2011, 06:12:47 PM »

I really like most of the movies that have been mentioned in this thread, aside from SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and most of the comedies.  (I think the reason people hold CADDYSHACK in such high regard is the performances from Bill Murray and Rodney Dangerfield, but I agree it was a pretty big letdown, certainly not in the same league as AIRPLANE! and GHOSTBUSTERS).

I loved THE MATRIX until I saw DARK CITY; and only watched the sequels because of Agent Smith.  I also didn't care much for CLOCKWORK ORANGE and I respect 2001 a whole lot more than I like it.  IMO Kubrick's best works were DR. STRANGELOVE & THE SHINING. 

The two big classics that I hate: THE SEVENTH SEAL and THE SEARCHERS.  Both felt really heavy-handed and preachy to me, in addition to being dull.  I especially hate THE SEARCHERS because that's the movie that critics and film-class types love to proclaim is John Wayne's only good film.  Yeah,  I'm calling total bullsh*t on that.  TRUE GRIT, MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE, THE QUIET MAN, THE SHOOTIST - all miles better and I'm not even a John Wayne fan.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2011, 06:17:17 PM »

I hate to do this but chaostheory's post reminds me of another one: Dark City. The plot is recycled from a twilight Zone episode. The lead was wimpy, the vampy girl seemed shy instead of sultry, william hurt or whoever it was was not noir ish at all and the whole thing was rote and corny looking. I'll have to see it again maybe I missed something.

Would probably add City of Lost Children to the list but haven't seen it in a while.
Neville

« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2011, 06:26:28 PM »

The DC is a bit better, but yeah, for a cult film "Dark City" is quite dull. Wrong tone, wrong direction of actors. Kiefer Sutherland was fun, though. And I have to admit the ideas they handled were provocative at the time. But you have to give the Wachowski's some merit: they probably saw the movie and decided it needed kung-fu and bullet time. And they were right.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2011, 11:31:02 PM »

Actually Dark City borrowed a lot of its basic plot from a Classic Outer Limits episode entitled "A Feasibility Study". I still enjoyed Dark City too though.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 11:33:34 PM by xJaseSFx » Logged

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2011, 11:32:59 PM »

The Wizard of Oz

Enjoyable enough, but really, incredibly, overhyped.  Not a GREAT movie by any means.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2011, 12:34:37 PM »

Martyrs has got a bit of a 'classic' status around the horror crowd.

I though it was intresting for a bit, but then it became tiresome gore.
I really don't see whats so special or scary about it.

Deadgirl is another film thats really popular and I can't stand it.
It was a real chore to sit through, well made but so grim that I didn't get any pleasure from it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 12:39:25 PM by Doggett » Logged

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2011, 01:42:41 PM »

I would say Speed 2: Cruise Control, but that would imply that Speed had some kind of merit.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

The Wizard of Oz

Enjoyable enough, but really, incredibly, overhyped.  Not a GREAT movie by any means.

I will let that go because you are entitled to your opinion.  TongueOut I vehemently disagree, however. TWoO is a far better film than it set out to be. In a nutshell, it is a troubled girl's search for self-worth, purpose and power in a world where the established authorities will grant her nothing. Each character she meets represents a quality she doesn't feel she possesses, but once she has assembled her "army," she is able to take on the most powerful evil figure she can imagine. She emerges from her dream a whole person, stronger and better able to deal with life. From a literary standpoint, I'd say that's a much deeper story than Citizen Kane's "I was only really happy when I was young and carefree."

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ChocolateChipCharlie
Bad Movie Lover

Oh my my, my Mitchell...

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2011, 03:11:36 PM »

Watched the entire AFI Top 100 (both lists) a couple years back.  Here were the ones I didn't like that were highly rated:

Some Like It Hot - Some don't like it at all.  Marilyn Monroe can't act and looked doped up the whole movie.  Which I'm sure she was.
Raging Bull - I don't hate this movie, but it's too much like every other Scorcese / De Niro movie, and I saw the others first.  Unfair, probably, but hey...
Apocalypse Now - I liked the spoof from The Critic a lot better - Apocalypse WOW!  Didn't see why this had to be 200 hours long.
West Side Story - I hate musicals, with few exceptions.  Singin' In the Rain is good, as is An American In Paris.  This one was not.
High Noon - zzzzzzzzz.  Somebody kill somebody already.  I hate westerns too, with few exceptions.  Stagecoach is good.
A Streetcar Named Desire - This is why we can't have nice things, Marlon.  Stop breaking things all the time!
Shane - Words cannot describe how much I hate this movie, or the awful things I want to happen to the annoying little kid.
The Searchers - Nice settings with the mountains and the sunsets and whatnot.  The rest of the movie is garbage.
Bringing Up Baby - Loved the Philadelphia Story.  Hated this movie.
Nashville - Robert Altman is the worst director in human history.
Pilgermann

« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2011, 11:41:12 AM »

The Wizard of Oz

!!!!!

I can think of few films as timeless and excellent as The Wizard of Oz.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2011, 12:16:02 PM »

The Wizard of Oz

!!!!!

I can think of few films as timeless and excellent as The Wizard of Oz.
I'm not saying it's a bad film at all.  In my original post I did say it was enjoyable.

But, I don't think it's 'classic.'

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Overhyped Film 'Classics' « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.