Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:19:56 AM
713398 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Films that Knocked Your Socks Off « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Films that Knocked Your Socks Off  (Read 12425 times)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2011, 12:50:16 PM »

I was pretty well floored the first time I got to see Enter The Dragon.

At that time in my youth, (being 9 in 1973) I had heard so much about Bruce Lee and had seen some commercials for his movies, but never got to see one until I saw ETD. 

Bruce was a phenomenal fighter, and his impact on everything from action movies to MMA (mixed martial arts) is undeniable. Even now when it comes on AMC, I have to do double takes on some of his moves.

Another movie that knocked me out was the Shaw Brothers' Five Deadly Venoms. 

It was an excellent who-dunit up to the end, and filled with a classic style of choreography (both hand to hand and weapons) that has yet to be equalled intoday's martial films. 

Some may disagree, but imho, the Shaw Brothers made the first true quality films since the death of Bruce Lee.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2011, 12:51:23 PM »

The Brain from Planet Arous- sometimes, the puppet's string can be HIDDEN!!!
Seven Samurai- I did a scene analysis on the beginning scene (after the marauder scene) to show the heavy contrast between Dark shades and light shades, as well as the sound, even though the sound isn't part of the Mis-en-scene, anyways, This movie gives the plot directly "Is there no God to protect us?!" and gives the rest of the movie a cruise control ride. The Battle scene is the highlight, with the Gray obscuring the fight scene, it keeps you on your toes.

Fiend Without a Face- Just amazing at the level of gruesomeness when the brain creatures or shot, that sound.
Mad Max 2- A very good B Movie  Thumbup
Troll 2- This is the cherry on top, the very best of the very worst movie ever made period
Inception- Do I need to say more, well, mostly the surround sound deep bass sound
Toy Story 3- Made me cry, because even in the hardest of times, the best way to go out is together.
Birth of a Nation- Made me feel offended even more by the KKK, damn bastards! Hatred
Citizen Kane- Not all "Best of the Best" classics are good to me

yeah no.
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2011, 03:20:01 PM »

The Brain from Planet Arous- sometimes, the puppet's string can be HIDDEN!!!
Seven Samurai- I did a scene analysis on the beginning scene (after the marauder scene) to show the heavy contrast between Dark shades and light shades, as well as the sound, even though the sound isn't part of the Mis-en-scene, anyways, This movie gives the plot directly "Is there no God to protect us?!" and gives the rest of the movie a cruise control ride. The Battle scene is the highlight, with the Gray obscuring the fight scene, it keeps you on your toes.

Fiend Without a Face- Just amazing at the level of gruesomeness when the brain creatures or shot, that sound.
Mad Max 2- A very good B Movie  Thumbup
Troll 2- This is the cherry on top, the very best of the very worst movie ever made period
Inception- Do I need to say more, well, mostly the surround sound deep bass sound
Toy Story 3- Made me cry, because even in the hardest of times, the best way to go out is together.
Birth of a Nation- Made me feel offended even more by the KKK, damn bastards! Hatred
Citizen Kane- Not all "Best of the Best" classics are good to me

Hey, Mad Max 2 (The Road Warrior) is an excellent contribution. I have yet to see a member here ever say anything bad about it. It has a 100% fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes for a reason. It's a freaking awesome movie.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2011, 04:36:10 PM »

I'd like to throw in Tombs of The Blind Dead.  Towards the end, there's a scene where a woman stares in horror as the Templars walk thru the castle door single file.

She gasps, then screams in horror, and the Templars all stop on a dime, and turn in her direction, with a very eerie low level red light glowing in the eyes of the one.

The Templars slowly descend upon her, and bite her to death, with a close-up of the blood running out of the jaws of one of them as he bites her forearm.  Very effective.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2011, 07:10:42 AM »

Actually, low budget Frailty.  I liked the story.  It is more character and story driven then much coming out today.  I also enjoyed The Cell on its first release.  I also liked Gladiator.  If you didn't like it, deal with it.  TongueOut   Wink

I'm with you on this one Couch. They were all fantastic movies.  I would add Frank Darabont's The Mist.  It just blew me away and the ending had me shell shocked for days.  But the whole movie made me feel as though I was stuck in a nightmare.

Yer back! Welcome back Bees!

Thanks RC  I'll be in an out on the forum but I'll try and post as much as I can now that I'm all connected up at home

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Dan
Dedicated Viewer

El Duderino

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2011, 08:39:05 AM »

I remember Pulp Fiction blowing my socks into orbit. It's just so good, it's the movie that got me into movies. Then Tarantino did it again with Kill Bill Vol. 1. I watched them about one or two days apart, and I think they were the first R rated films I ever saw. Although I prefer Vol. 2 now, I remember the first viewing of Kill Bill just being unbelievably awesome, I'd never seen anything else like it.

I'd also include The Evil Dead in here. My zombie-loving friend hated it, but I just loved every second of it. It got me interested in low budget films and horror at the same time. It's one of my favourites. The Dark Knight and Inception were also two films where I walked out thinking "oh my god that was amazing". People seem to pick holes in both of them nowadays, but I just thought they were incredible.

Also, Snatch. When it finished I was just left in a strange state of Keanu Reeves-esque "woah"ness. I'm not sure if it knocked my socks off as such, but definitely at least my shoes.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2011, 09:24:30 AM »

I've got to put in another plug for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. 

I'm pretty sure I had seen it before, but when I was 18, alone and in the hospital, I watched 2001.  Around 7 am the next morning, I flatlined for some period of time. 

Looking back with the awareness that 2001 would have been the last movie I ever watched seems...poetic.  The fact that I did not die makes it doubly so.   Wink

THE THING (1981) has blown me away since the first viewing and continues to do so.  The paranoid mood just resonates with me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
voltron

« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2011, 07:10:20 PM »

Eyes Wide Shut - who'da thunk a Cruise/Kidman movie would be this great?
The Tenant - Polanski outdoes himself, possibly beating Repulsion.
Burial Ground: The Nights Of Terror - only saw this recently, and ho-lee s**t!! The whole time I was watching I was like "can this get any more awesome?" and it DID. :)
Black Christmas - rented this on VHS many years ago( before it became the phenomenon that it is today), having no clue about the film beforehand, that final phone call...BRRRR!
Rituals - amazing low key Canadain survivalist horror. Code Red: GET OFF YOUR ASS AND GET THIS OUT ON DVD BEFORE YOU PACK IT IN!
Sole Survivor - Excellent. This one was always leering at me from the video shelves when I was younger, but I avoided it because of it's sorta sci-fi looking artwork. Big mistake.
Deep Red - Argento's masterwork. Nuff said.
Dawn Of The Dead - just a perfect, perfect horror movie all the way around.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Hammock Rider

« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »

The Right Stuff blew me away. The story alone is awe inspiring, but the presentation was, IMHO, genius. I must have sat threw that 3+ hour long movie at least 5 or 6 times when it was first released. (Good thing I worked at the theater.)

The Vikings is everything anyone could ever want in a Viking movie. It's got everything, action, comedy, romance,brawling, a bit of intrigue, specatacle, Janet Leigh and a one-eyed, half crazed Kirk Douglas. I saw this for the first time on the late show, back when that was the only way you could catch this type of masterpiece, and afterward I scanned the TV Guide at the beginning of every week for years to make sure I caught it the next time it was shown.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 12:47:25 AM »

Frankenstein Conquers The World blew me away for the brooding, and somewhat surreal atmosphere.  From the minute the opening credits play amidst
the panning view of the lab, Akira Ifukube's superb musical score sets a very atmopsheric and chilling tone. Noone made music like he did.

Also, the way Toho humanized the character, and treated Frankenstein as a living creature, and not one created from the dead. The makeup for The Monster was very good, a nice hybrid look that reminded you a lot of The Monster while being something totally different.

I also was blown away by the fight scenes. The actor playing Frankenstein, Koji Furuhata, took some serious lumps and bumps in just his loincloth to say nothing of being tossed around by Mr. Godzilla himself, Haruo Nakajima! 

All in all, Toho went way out of their normal monster realms to bring a unique experience to the screen, and it shows.  **** 1\2  out of 5.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

SPazzo

My kinda toy...

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 11:15:13 AM »

Brazil.  Or, more specifically, the last scene in Brazil.
Small | Large
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Films that Knocked Your Socks Off « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.