Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:54:35 AM
713327 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Films that Knocked Your Socks Off « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Films that Knocked Your Socks Off  (Read 12411 times)
Couchtr26
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 12:05:46 AM »

Mega Shark Vs. Giant Octopus

This famous scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I16_8l0yS-g&feature=related

I was left utterly speechless when I saw that.

Speechless is an understatement. 

Ah, the good old days.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 11:37:31 AM »

The Game
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 12:01:13 PM »

This famous scene:

...................................................................................... Buggedout

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 10:38:27 PM »

Who Can Kill A Child? was awesome.  Really enjoyed that one.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 10:59:33 PM »

I know I'll catch flak for this (and I've mentioned it before), and I also know this movie is not widely viewed as "classic" by any means, but ...

I was totally enthralled by STARGATE when I saw it at the theater.  I just thought the story was cool.

Sue me.   Twirling

On a more serious note, both GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES and PAN'S LABYRINTH were pretty unforgettable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Couchtr26

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 01:26:15 AM »

I was totally enthralled by STARGATE when I saw it at the theater.  I just thought the story was cool.

It did open up some interesting questions.  Would have been nice to see what else was connected on the big screen.  Not that the series sharing the name was terrible but there was a lot of unexplored territory with it.  The concept was a curious one that one can look at and ponder. 

Ah, the good old days.
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 03:12:42 AM »

An intriguing topic, there’s been many (actually a lot of them were mentioned in the other thread believe it or not). Anyways here goes:

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968): Just recall being stunned and feeling totally taken to an out of this world experience. Also forced me for the first time to look beyond the confines of the cinematic screen.

Solaris  (1968): engrossing science fiction at its very best  studying the potential effect of lost love.

A Christmas Carol (1951): Alistair Sim is brilliant as Ebenezer Scrooge in this classic, the perfect film for Christmas.

Metropolis (1927): I was just astounded by both the awesome FX, the ultra-futuristic imagery and the spellbinding performance of Brigette Helm and a bit of the old mad scientist formula thrown in for good measure.

Nosferatu (1922): Probably the creepiest movie ever made. Nosferatu is a very unsettling and very lonely monstrosity that brings with it only death and suffering.

The Mummy (1932): One of the best monster reveals in history, a great backstory and a terrific suspense build-up to its terrifying climax.

Jaws (1975):  Again the suspense if amped up and the monster delivers. Makes one weary of being out to sea or swimming in the sea.

Psycho (1960): Terrific twist, fantastic suspense, a shocking reveal, makes it so you’re afraid to take a shower...how could you not love it?

The Wolf Man (1941): arguably the most sympathetic of all movie monsters is the cursed Larry Talbot who  is forced to stalk the night as the bloodthirsty Wolf Man!

Attack! (1956):  Arguably the best low-budget war movie I’ve ever seen. There's action, explosions galore, men fighting for their lives on the battlefield and also having to deal with the intense reality that maybe those at the top really do not know what they are doing. Do yourself a favour if you're a fan of war movies and see this one. I suspect you'll be glad you did.

Blade Runner (1982): this movie truly strikes me as poetic, looking at the beauty , preciousness and frailty of life. Also this is a surprisingly spot-on accurate portrayal of the future.

Brazil (1985): Dreamlike escapism from the real world half its time, the other half bogged down in the horrible nightmare that may well be tomorrow if not today.

12 Monkeys (1995): Terrific surprises and time travel intrigue that actually plays by an established set of rules.

Planet of the Apes (1968): Stunning look at humanity through non-human eyes.

The Haunting (1963): One of the scariest films of all time, as ghostly terrifying as it gets IMO.

On the Waterfront (1954): A man struggles for what is right in the face of incredible adversity.

Seconds (1966):  A man wanting a second chance at life discovers the horrible truth about himself and why he made the choices he made. Unforgettable ending.

The Shooting (1967): Grim B-western that’ll keep you on your toes and guessing right up until the end.

Duck Soup (1933): the perfect comedy, this one always leaves me in stitches laughing.

Island of Lost Souls (1933): Exploitative shocker is stunning not only for its pre-code plot but also for its fine performances and memorable dialogue.

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955): Professor Quatermass bursts on the movie scene in this thoughtful and frightening speculative film about an unknown horror from space crashing down to Earth. Actually shares some surprisingly similarities to the equally if not even better The Thing From Another World (1951).

Quatermass and the Pit (1967): Intelligent Sci-Fi Horror hybrids just do not get better than this frightening masterpiece about the potential origin of man’s intelligence.

Nightmare Alley (1947): The film noir looks at the ugly side of the sideshow carnival and the evil potential behind human greed and manipulation.  Only Freaks (1932) perhaps rivals the greatness of this one.

The Maltese Falcon (1941): Perhaps the best film cast in history in the most perfect mystery/film noir.

Soylent Green (1973): a man discovers a horrible truth too late to save an already dead and dying planet.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 04:02:23 AM »

ANATOMY OF A MURDER - Thrilling to see Jimmy Stewart knowingly use his "Aw Shucks" persona to become an absolute legal shark in this movie. The film is recognized for breaching the subject of rape in the staid '50s, but more subversive than that is Stewart's legal defense of a person who we, as the audience, have no certainty is in the right.

KELLY'S HEROES - You could be forgiven for thinking we modern-day audiences have a lock on cynical caper films. Nope, it's prototype was done way back in 1970.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2010, 02:26:35 PM »

This famous scene:

Shark jumps up out of the ocean, grabs an airliner, and plummets to the ocean with it in anticipation of a mice meal.  Uh......yeah.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2010, 08:04:26 PM »

This famous scene:

Shark jumps up out of the ocean, grabs an airliner, and plummets to the ocean with it in anticipation of a mice meal.  Uh......yeah.

Let's not even get into the physics of this scene or just how much energy a giant shark like that would have assert to even jump out of the water like that.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »

This famous scene:

Let's not even get into the physics of this scene or just how much energy a giant shark like that would have assert to even jump out of the water like that.

Yeah, reminds me of the old Batman movie from 1966, where he fights the shark off with the can of Bat Shark Repellent. Let's see how he does against THIS one!

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2010, 09:56:19 PM »

An intriguing topic, there’s been many (actually a lot of them were mentioned in the other thread believe it or not). Anyways here goes:

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968): Just recall being stunned and feeling totally taken to an out of this world experience. Also forced me for the first time to look beyond the confines of the cinematic screen.

Solaris  (1968): engrossing science fiction at its very best  studying the potential effect of lost love.

A Christmas Carol (1951): Alistair Sim is brilliant as Ebenezer Scrooge in this classic, the perfect film for Christmas.

Metropolis (1927): I was just astounded by both the awesome FX, the ultra-futuristic imagery and the spellbinding performance of Brigette Helm and a bit of the old mad scientist formula thrown in for good measure.

Nosferatu (1922): Probably the creepiest movie ever made. Nosferatu is a very unsettling and very lonely monstrosity that brings with it only death and suffering.

The Mummy (1932): One of the best monster reveals in history, a great backstory and a terrific suspense build-up to its terrifying climax.

Jaws (1975):  Again the suspense if amped up and the monster delivers. Makes one weary of being out to sea or swimming in the sea.

Psycho (1960): Terrific twist, fantastic suspense, a shocking reveal, makes it so you’re afraid to take a shower...how could you not love it?

The Wolf Man (1941): arguably the most sympathetic of all movie monsters is the cursed Larry Talbot who  is forced to stalk the night as the bloodthirsty Wolf Man!

Attack! (1956):  Arguably the best low-budget war movie I’ve ever seen. There's action, explosions galore, men fighting for their lives on the battlefield and also having to deal with the intense reality that maybe those at the top really do not know what they are doing. Do yourself a favour if you're a fan of war movies and see this one. I suspect you'll be glad you did.

Blade Runner (1982): this movie truly strikes me as poetic, looking at the beauty , preciousness and frailty of life. Also this is a surprisingly spot-on accurate portrayal of the future.

Brazil (1985): Dreamlike escapism from the real world half its time, the other half bogged down in the horrible nightmare that may well be tomorrow if not today.

12 Monkeys (1995): Terrific surprises and time travel intrigue that actually plays by an established set of rules.

Planet of the Apes (1968): Stunning look at humanity through non-human eyes.

The Haunting (1963): One of the scariest films of all time, as ghostly terrifying as it gets IMO.

On the Waterfront (1954): A man struggles for what is right in the face of incredible adversity.

Seconds (1966):  A man wanting a second chance at life discovers the horrible truth about himself and why he made the choices he made. Unforgettable ending.

The Shooting (1967): Grim B-western that’ll keep you on your toes and guessing right up until the end.

Duck Soup (1933): the perfect comedy, this one always leaves me in stitches laughing.

Island of Lost Souls (1933): Exploitative shocker is stunning not only for its pre-code plot but also for its fine performances and memorable dialogue.

The Quatermass Xperiment (1955): Professor Quatermass bursts on the movie scene in this thoughtful and frightening speculative film about an unknown horror from space crashing down to Earth. Actually shares some surprisingly similarities to the equally if not even better The Thing From Another World (1951).

Quatermass and the Pit (1967): Intelligent Sci-Fi Horror hybrids just do not get better than this frightening masterpiece about the potential origin of man’s intelligence.

Nightmare Alley (1947): The film noir looks at the ugly side of the sideshow carnival and the evil potential behind human greed and manipulation.  Only Freaks (1932) perhaps rivals the greatness of this one.

The Maltese Falcon (1941): Perhaps the best film cast in history in the most perfect mystery/film noir.

Soylent Green (1973): a man discovers a horrible truth too late to save an already dead and dying planet.

That is one LONG list.   Thumbup Lookingup

TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE (1974) Knocked my socks off.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2010, 11:28:26 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2011, 08:41:56 AM »

Actually, low budget Frailty.  I liked the story.  It is more character and story driven then much coming out today.  I also enjoyed The Cell on its first release.  I also liked Gladiator.  If you didn't like it, deal with it.  TongueOut   Wink

I'm with you on this one Couch. They were all fantastic movies.  I would add Frank Darabont's The Mist.  It just blew me away and the ending had me shell shocked for days.  But the whole movie made me feel as though I was stuck in a nightmare.

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2011, 09:10:31 AM »

Actually, low budget Frailty.  I liked the story.  It is more character and story driven then much coming out today.  I also enjoyed The Cell on its first release.  I also liked Gladiator.  If you didn't like it, deal with it.  TongueOut   Wink

I'm with you on this one Couch. They were all fantastic movies.  I would add Frank Darabont's The Mist.  It just blew me away and the ending had me shell shocked for days.  But the whole movie made me feel as though I was stuck in a nightmare.

Yer back! Welcome back Bees!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2011, 09:27:47 AM »

The first time I watched THE RING, when the ghostly drowned form of Samarra came crawling out of the TV, I just about wet my pants! Buggedout Buggedout

Then in JEEPERS CREEPERS, when the two college kids pass by the old church and see the Creep dumping bodies down that shaft . . . and suddenly he looks straight at them!   Those two moments scared me more than any horror films I've seen since!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Films that Knocked Your Socks Off « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.