Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:19:06 PM
713351 Posts in 53056 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Video games as movies? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Video games as movies?  (Read 9932 times)
theedinburghbteam
Dedicated Viewer

Bringing the trash home!

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 08:59:13 AM »

Whilst Uwe Boll is almost constant in making shoddy video game rip offs, Paul W.S. Anderson is a far worse, big budget version of the same thing.

Mortal Kombat series, Resident Evil series (without a doubt the furthest you can get from the original game) and the AVP series (which whilst based on comics, did have a most excellent video game about 6 or 7 year ago).

With stories as good as those in "Bioshock" and "Red Dead Redemption", converting into movies is pointless beyond financial reasons. Same as making movie video games, they almost all suck aswell. Except for the Die Hard Trilogy on the Playstation. That was the bomb.

The Edinburgh B-Team! B-Movie double bill, every Monday at the Jekyll & Hyde Pub, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, Scotland! 7pm onwards! Free entry and free popcorn!
Flick James
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 09:26:03 AM »

Then there's the video games based on movies. Somehow I've just never been driven to play video games based on movies.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 12:21:42 PM »

Mortal Kombat series, Resident Evil series (without a doubt the furthest you can get from the original game)
I'd have to disagree, while it wasn't an exact adaption of the game, it felt very much like a part of the series and hit all the marks.  Creepy house, underground zombie labs, hero that doesn't know what's going on, professionals caught in a zombie uprising, it's all there. 

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 02:47:21 PM »

Rev. Powell; true enough getting gigged for a royalty fee would be much more expensive than a writer but this begs the question: why not have better writing? I get the "slap a game title on the movie and everyone who was a fan of the game will be a fan of your movie", but if writers are so inexpensive why do we still have the same lame rehashed storylines over and over again? (just so we're clear, that's more of a rhetorical lament, don't feel like you have to answer it) Even if the production costs are high, bad writing makes a movie feel cheap.

For example, when was the last good original monster created? We are still seeing films about werewolves and vampires that are centuries old creations.  If you watch Twilight (1) absolutely cold with no knowledge of it at all it is initially a decent (I won't say great but, decent) movie up until they reveal he's a vampire then it's kind of a letdown.  With all that secrecy and vague implications your almost expecting something new/interesting but no, he's a vampire and she's a moron.  The storyline goes down from there over the next 5 or so (I lost track) movies.  Doesn't matter how many big name actors/SFX you slap on, it's a vampire love story, you pretty much know how its going to go.

Opposite end of the spectrum: Zombies Anonymous - premise is people who die simply get back up and go about their average lives despite the fact that they are zombies. The whole movie revolves around the social implications of this really original premise and how it leads to ethnic clashes between zombies/non-zombies and really original dialogue like "when were you planning to tell your parents you are dead? - I was thinkimg maybe this Christmas".  Despite the fact that it was done on a shoe-string budget the good premise and good writing bring the movie up as a whole.

I don't have to answer because you answered your own question!  How much money did ZOMBIES ANONYMOUS make?  Those of us who prefer original stories to familiar, predictable stories are a niche market, and we have to get used to it.  Creativity doesn't make money, so Hollywood's never going to cater to us.   

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 05:23:08 PM »

Video game movie plot problems...

Follows the plot too close: "Why am I watching this when I can play the game?"

Too far from the plot: "What the hell?! This has nothing to do with the game! They think they can just slap [Insert game title here]'s name on it and it'd be a hit?!"

Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »

"What the hell?! This has nothing to do with the game! They think they can just slap [Insert game title here]'s name on it and it'd be a hit?!"

Yes.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Jim H

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 06:57:14 PM »

Rev. Powell; true enough getting gigged for a royalty fee would be much more expensive than a writer but this begs the question: why not have better writing? I get the "slap a game title on the movie and everyone who was a fan of the game will be a fan of your movie", but if writers are so inexpensive why do we still have the same lame rehashed storylines over and over again? (just so we're clear, that's more of a rhetorical lament, don't feel like you have to answer it) Even if the production costs are high, bad writing makes a movie feel cheap.

For example, when was the last good original monster created? We are still seeing films about werewolves and vampires that are centuries old creations.  If you watch Twilight (1) absolutely cold with no knowledge of it at all it is initially a decent (I won't say great but, decent) movie up until they reveal he's a vampire then it's kind of a letdown.  With all that secrecy and vague implications your almost expecting something new/interesting but no, he's a vampire and she's a moron.  The storyline goes down from there over the next 5 or so (I lost track) movies.  Doesn't matter how many big name actors/SFX you slap on, it's a vampire love story, you pretty much know how its going to go.

Opposite end of the spectrum: Zombies Anonymous - premise is people who die simply get back up and go about their average lives despite the fact that they are zombies. The whole movie revolves around the social implications of this really original premise and how it leads to ethnic clashes between zombies/non-zombies and really original dialogue like "when were you planning to tell your parents you are dead? - I was thinkimg maybe this Christmas".  Despite the fact that it was done on a shoe-string budget the good premise and good writing bring the movie up as a whole.

Nice post.  You bring up some good stuff, and I know a good bit is rhetorical but I still want to talk about it, so hey.

It's a very good question on why some huge budget Hollywood films have such bad scripts.  I suspect a lot of it has to do with the ridiculous numbers of writers working and the huge numbers of drafts, with lots of committees and other people making demands about what they want - scripts need to be focused, and when you have 4+ writers and a team of twelve execs constantly making demands for changes to appeal to X demographic or what not, it leads to bad writing.

Personally, I've seen a number of films that I feel if they just gave it to any serious film fan they could point out the gaping flaws and easily fix them, but that's not what they want to do.  For example, Tron: Legacy has several plot concepts that could have been ENTIRELY REMOVED and serve no purpose at all.  It wouldn't have been hard to restructure the script either - end result would have been a film 20-30 minutes shorter that would have cost significantly less (millions and millions of dollars) and been better.

As far as original monsters...  There have been a handful, they just aren't as iconic or long lasting.  Mythological creatures stuck around in folklore as they appeal to something very base in the human mind.  I don't think it's a coincidence that almost all major cultures have something akin to a dragon, for example.  Vampires are similar, and quite a few cultures have something like werewolves.  That base appeal of those creatures will never go away. 

One of the best original monsters I can recall recently was the one in Splinter.  A little similar to the alien from The Thing, but it was very creepy and effective.  Not a perfect film, but a great monster.
theedinburghbteam
Dedicated Viewer

Bringing the trash home!

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 08:45:11 PM »

Mortal Kombat series, Resident Evil series (without a doubt the furthest you can get from the original game)
I'd have to disagree, while it wasn't an exact adaption of the game, it felt very much like a part of the series and hit all the marks.  Creepy house, underground zombie labs, hero that doesn't know what's going on, professionals caught in a zombie uprising, it's all there. 

Whilst it had the right ingredients, it didn't have the same scariness as the original game. As a stand alone zombie film it would have been entertaining enough, but it was all stupid and flashy which misses the entire creepy fear basis of the game.

Silent Hill got closer to it, and that wasn't great either.

The Edinburgh B-Team! B-Movie double bill, every Monday at the Jekyll & Hyde Pub, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, Scotland! 7pm onwards! Free entry and free popcorn!
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2010, 10:26:03 AM »

For example, when was the last good original monster created?

Small | Large
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »

There are 2 video game-based movies I'm actually looking forward to seeing.  The reason for this is the games they are based on had good stories in them.  They are the Legend of Zelda and Castlevania.  Castlevania was a better horror game than Resident Evil because it was more gothic.

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Couchtr26

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 12:40:44 AM »

There are 2 video game-based movies I'm actually looking forward to seeing.  The reason for this is the games they are based on had good stories in them.  They are the Legend of Zelda and Castlevania.  Castlevania was a better horror game than Resident Evil because it was more gothic.

I will have to agree with you there.  Resident Evil had a few jump moments but Castlevania was much more of an immersion into the gothic horror of your choice.  The characters and story were rather well developed and I like how especially in Symphony of the Night there was some identification with Dracula.  Almost giving him a human quality.  Castlevania is one of my favorite series in the whole of video games.  Also, The Legend of Zelda would almost lend itself to a movie.  The stories are enjoyable and engage you.  The characters and places are noteworthy.  In addition, most Zelda games are not exactly a continuity.  It would be harder to make something terrible as each almost seems a different telling of a similar story.  Thus taking elements and making it into a movie you are capable of taking the main themes tweeking to your needs. 

Ah, the good old days.
WyreWizard
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2010, 01:26:32 AM »

I currently own 3 games in the Castlevania series, Symphony of the Night, Lament of Innocence and Dracula X Chronicles.  I'm looking forward to getting Lords of Shadow.  My favorite site is www.castlevaniadungeon.net.  My favorite Belmont is Richter.  My favorite Castlvania is Symphony of the Night.  What's yours?

Babe, I'm leaving.  I must be on my way.  The time is drawing near.  The train is going.  I see it in your eyes.  The love beneath your tears.  And I'll be lonely without you.  And I'll need your love to see me through.  So please me.  My heart is your hands.  And I'll be missing you...
Couchtr26

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2010, 04:38:47 PM »

I currently own 3 games in the Castlevania series, Symphony of the Night, Lament of Innocence and Dracula X Chronicles.  I'm looking forward to getting Lords of Shadow.  My favorite site is www.castlevaniadungeon.net.  My favorite Belmont is Richter.  My favorite Castlvania is Symphony of the Night.  What's yours?

On favorite Castlevania, it is Symphony of the Night.  I find it more compelling.  It brings much to the table not just in story but in game play mechanics. 

On Belmont that is a bit tougher, I think I would have to go with Simon.  Simon's Quest being the first Castlevania I played.  I still have a soft spot for it and Simon as my introduction to the series. 

I have played most of the recent releases and quite a few I know are not favorable of Lament of Innocence.  However, I found Lament of Innocence one of the most enjoyable of the recent incarnations.  It had a certain story arc that was nice to look at being done.  I like to know origins and so on.  Plus, I really like the characters and design. 

Ah, the good old days.
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »

I think part of the originality problem is two fold. Yes, there is little market for it.  Whenever they crank out this years "blockbuster" it is never anything really unique.  This is where Hollywood falls a little too deep into "purpose driven" movie making.  Another good example is when a movie is made for pretty much the explicit purpose of getting some oscars/emmy awards.  Just dump several big star actors into roles that require lots of drama and passion and your destined to pick up "award for best...".

I think you also have a point with the team of writers being told what to do by committees looking at demographics.  For example they want to make sure to lock up the tween-aged girl market so they dump some Justin Bieber reference in the movie (do the kids still like him? I don't know, just insert whatever flavor of the month popstar in here).  This never makes good writing.

Chainsaw midget, you are right, SciFi has come up with a couple decent and original monsters.  Unfortunately the rest of the movie outside of the monster is a pretty standard formula.  Monster attacks humans, a "special forces" group is formed to fight it which includes the best diver, the best sniper, the best comander, and at least one random hotchick each of which is introduced with a one sentence description and they all work together to learn how to pretend skating helmets are "military equipment" and then become monster fodder. Oh, wait, this sounds familiar  Smile

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
Chainsawmidget
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2010, 12:51:34 AM »

Chainsaw midget, you are right, SciFi has come up with a couple decent and original monsters.  Unfortunately the rest of the movie outside of the monster is a pretty standard formula.  Monster attacks humans, a "special forces" group is formed to fight it which includes the best diver, the best sniper, the best comander, and at least one random hotchick each of which is introduced with a one sentence description and they all work together to learn how to pretend skating helmets are "military equipment" and then become monster fodder. Oh, wait, this sounds familiar  Smile
You didn't ask for good monster movies, just good movie monsters.     Twirling
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Video games as movies? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.