Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 10:47:20 AM
714208 Posts in 53092 Topics by 7734 Members
Latest Member: BlackVuemmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Ray Bradbury Theater - Creepiest Episodes? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ray Bradbury Theater - Creepiest Episodes?  (Read 13240 times)
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« on: October 12, 2010, 05:23:39 PM »

One show I grew up watching quite a bit in my teen years was "The Ray Bradbury Theater" which were based on short stories written by Ray Bradbury. Some of the episodes I considered to be good adaptations surprisingly faithful to the Bradbury stories on which they were based. Anyways the episodes I found to be the best and creepiest were:

1) The Playground - William Shatner stars as Charles Underhill, a man afraid to take his son to the playground at which he was horribly bullied as a boy. Finally Underhill musters up the courage to face the ghosts of his past with truly terrifying consequences...

2) The Crowd - Coming home from a party late at night, Joe Spinelli (Nick Mancuso) has a car accident but is mostly shocked and surprised by how quickly a crowd gathers at the scene literally seconds after the accident happened. He soon starts to investigate other accidents and uncovers a startling and horrifying truth...

3) The Town Where No One Got Off - an aspiring writer (Jeff Goldblum) decides to get off in a small town to get a slice of small town life only to find surprisingly hostile townsfolk and he's being followed by a sinister looking old man...

4) The Small Assassin - a woman is convinced her newborn baby is evil and intent on killing....

5) The Veldt - in a futuristic tomorrow, two children play in a disturbing computer generated jungle, of which they seem to have too much control...and where they spend way too much of their time...

6) Mars Is Heaven - the first astronauts to Mars find a replica of small-town America on Mars, just like they grew up with in their childhoods.

Actually most of the episodes have their creepy and unsettling moments although a few are more light-hearted fare too. The stories tend to be a mix of small-town whimsy, dark comedy, science fiction, fantasy and/or horror.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Nathan45
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 10:07:09 PM »

I grabbed volume 1 on netflix and I'm working my way through it, they fit a lot of episodes on one disk (high compression, quality is kinda meh, but not that bad.)  So far, The Town where no one got off is my favorite.
WildHoosier09
I'm the one who looks like he can use a keyboard
Bad Movie Lover

I've got to find out what causes this and put a st

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:03:49 PM »

I never knew there was a "Ray Bradbury Theater", I've read several of his books/short stories (F451; Martian Chronicles; Something wicked this way comes; the veldt,... others) He's and amazing writer who has incredibly descriptive way of giving the feel of an item but at the same time leaving it up to the reader to figure out what it actually looks like (For instance, the robotic dog from F451; you have a ton of description about it which lets you know it is one hardcore superevil bada** but its still up to you to ultimately consider what it physically looks like).  It would be nice to see how these translate to screen (hopefully they did a good job).  I'll definitely check into this one because Bradbury is an amazing writer.

The only difference between zombies and toddlers is one is cuter than the other.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:23:58 AM »

I've seen  a couple of the episodes you mentioned on a DVD set (13 episodes). I purchased at a Big Lots.

I especially remember the ones with Shatner and Goldblum. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2010, 03:07:15 PM »

A very young Drew Barrymore also appeared in a pretty solid adaptation of The Screaming Woman...

lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2011, 03:01:06 PM »

The veldt was in "the tattooed man" movie as you probably know.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2011, 05:20:11 PM »

The veldt was in "the tattooed man" movie as you probably know.

I believe that was "The Illustrated Man" - same title as the book.   Wink

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2011, 01:51:45 PM »

You know, I'm always surprised at myself that I've never seen a single frame of this show, yet growing up I was an avid Bradbury reader. His novels were great, but the short story was his arena of true greatness. I was always amazed at how he was able to create such a rich and big picture in such a small package. Even within a very short, say under 2,000-word story, I often got the picture of a much bigger scheme of events. Then, at other times, he could create a stunning microcosm where only the details of that story mattered.

I'll have to seek it out on NetFlix.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
JaseSF
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 09:30:35 PM »

Not every episode of the series is a winner by any means and sometimes the low budget shows through but more oft than not, I really enjoyed these adaptations and was surprised to see some name actors/actresses appear in them.

Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 03:02:34 AM »

You guys are lucky.  Our Netflix equivalent is Bigpond.com and they don't have the Ray Bradbury threatre DVDs.  They probably see it as a niche American thing.

Sometimes it's difficult living at this end of the world   Bluesad

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2011, 04:20:51 PM »

You guys are lucky.  Our Netflix equivalent is Bigpond.com and they don't have the Ray Bradbury threatre DVDs.  They probably see it as a niche American thing.

Sometimes it's difficult living at this end of the world   Bluesad

BounceGiggle

You know, I've always wanted to visit both Australia and New Zealand. But it just seems like it might as well be Neptune, it's so far away. Going from Phoenix, Arizona to Europe is a huge chore for me. I can't even imagine a flight to Sidney. As much as I love to travel, very long flights and me don't get along at all. My height has something to do with it I'm sure.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  The Ray Bradbury Theater - Creepiest Episodes? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.