Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:26:05 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  A Christmas Story Poll « previous next »
Poll
Question: What do you think of this "classic"
I adore it, can't get enough of it, and can quote it in detail - 10 (33.3%)
I like it a great deal. A Christmas Classic. - 14 (46.7%)
I like it okay, but don't know what all the fuss is about. - 3 (10%)
I don't care for it. - 1 (3.3%)
Please do not play that movie and I will kill you if you say "You'll shoot your eye out" one more time. - 2 (6.7%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: A Christmas Story Poll  (Read 22080 times)
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 11:43:14 PM »

It's that time of year again, when TBS runs "24 Hours of A Christmas Story."

I've always had a warm place in my heart for this classic, so I love it. I also like that I can go anywhere and flick the on TBS and be able to catch it. However, I don't fault anyone for thinking it's not the greatest thing ever. Just curious what my fellow badmoviephiles think.

An instant classic! 

And, the way that the adult Ralphie narrates the story in such a reverent and fond manner for his childhood experiences, is just pure comedy gold.  It makes the story.

It's that very narration that makes the story even funnier than it is, while reminding the viewer of their own youth and perhaps, some of their own great capers from that bygone time of childhood.

Any remake of this movie would be one of the Holy Grails of sacrilege in Hollywood.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Couchtr26

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 01:29:52 AM »

I enjoy and usually watch it at least once around this time of year. 

Ah, the good old days.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:34:23 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 02:21:48 PM »

I enjoy and usually watch it at least once around this time of year. 

Interestingly, I was one of the kids who DID get a Daisy Red Ryder BB Gun for Christmas when I was a kid.  My father and I spent the day plinking away old cans and bottles on the fence, as well as the rest of the holiday when weather permitted.

We looked just like Johnny Unitas and his son Ken, on the back of the old 70's era comic books in their little ad for Daisy BB Guns, lol  From what I hear, the old Red Ryder models are somewhat of a collector's item nowadays.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 04:59:34 PM »

anyone who doesn't like it if  a poo-poo head!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2010, 05:16:46 PM »

Hard to believe this sweet, funny holiday masterpiece was directed by the same guy who directed PORKY'S I & II and BABY GENIUSES I & II.  Buggedout

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 10:59:27 AM »

Hard to believe this sweet, funny holiday masterpiece was directed by the same guy who directed PORKY'S I & II and BABY GENIUSES I & II.  Buggedout

Bob Clark, you mean? 

If that's who you're referring to, let us also not forget that he taught us that Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things and told us to have a Black Christmas.

And yeah it's hard for me to believe too.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 03:25:17 PM »

To elaborate on my love of this film, it truly takes you back to a kid's frame of mind at this time of year.  Everything, although minor to an adult, is a major catastrophe and/or concern to Ralphie in this film.  Is he getting his BB gun for Xmas?  Is he going to survive another encounter with the school bully?  What does Little Orphan Annie want to tell him with a decoder ring?  The older man narration really hits these plot points out of the park.  He puts the inner voice into Ralphie but very subtly (and brilliantly might I add)  reveals this silliness of Ralphie's dilemmas.

Although remembered for it's comedic moments, it is often forgotten for what I think are two of the most touching moments in movie history.  The first one being Ralphie's mom getting him off the hook with his father after his big fight.   I can recall many times where I did something bad as a kid waiting on pins and needles for my father to get home to whip my @ss.  The fact Ralphie's mom responded to this by diffusing the situation is a beautiful moment in film history.  And of course Ralphie ending up with the big gift he wanted all season long.  Of course we all know his dad got it for him.  His father, up until this point, kind of comes off as preoccupied with fighting heaters, Oldsmobiles and celebrating winning a leg lamp.  However, he reveals how he was paying attention to Ralphie all the while which is inspiring.

This kind of movie I often consider a "moment of time" flick.  Its where the dialog and characters outshine the plot.  Someitmes it works, sometimes it doesn't  however in this film it shines. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Raffine

« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 03:46:55 PM »

The fact Ralphie's mom responded to this by diffusing the situation is a beautiful moment in film history.

Another great moment for Melinda Dillon is when after washing Ralphie's mouth out with soap (Life Bouy! Yeech!) she gives herself a taste of the same medicine.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 03:51:22 PM »

The fact Ralphie's mom responded to this by diffusing the situation is a beautiful moment in film history.

Another great moment for Melinda Dillon is when after washing Ralphie's mouth out with soap (Life Bouy! Yeech!) she gives herself a taste of the same medicine.
Ha!  The whole "soap poisoning" fantasy that follows is probably one of my top 3 most hilarious moments in the film.

DarkSider's Realm

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 11:20:40 PM »

I got the treatment when I was around 6 or so...I said the same dreaded F word, and my mom went into action.  She got on top of me after pinning me to the floor, and said "what did you say?"

And me, the defiant little fu*ker I was, said it again. She took a bar of a certain yellow soap and forced it in my mouth after pinching my nose to cut of fmy air.

She rubbed it against my teeth and the flakes hit the back of my throat and I thought I would die.  And to add insult to injury, she said to me, "now, aren't you glad I used Dial?"  Now that was fun....NOT.

So yes while this is just a movie, the soap part brngs home the memories for me in a big way  Buggedout

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Raffine

« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2010, 03:13:41 AM »

Ha!  The whole "soap poisoning" fantasy that follows is probably one of my top 3 most hilarious moments in the film.

Another great 'smaller' moment is Swartz's mom's voice over the phone and her reactions to the news of the "F-word".

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2010, 09:02:07 PM »

Another great 'smaller' moment is Swartz's mom's voice over the phone and her reactions to the news of the "F-word".

"WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT......WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT...."    BounceGiggle  I can actually picture her strangling him because he says little after he says "what did I do mom". 

DarkSider's Realm

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 11:53:15 PM »

I literally watch the ENTIRE 24 hour span of it every year.

Despite having the dvd.

Great movie.  I hate Christmas but LOVE the movie.  The father is hilarious in it.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
akiratubo

« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2010, 02:56:17 AM »

I've never been able to watch the whole thing.  It's not even remotely funny or heartwarming.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  A Christmas Story Poll « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.