Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:54:33 AM
713325 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Best Make-Up Effects in Films « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Best Make-Up Effects in Films  (Read 6896 times)
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« on: December 15, 2010, 10:06:03 PM »

What films do you think have some of the best make-up effects?  Having worked on my movie powerpoint, I had section on it and I started thinking about these effects.  Some of the best make-up effects I have seen were with How the Grinch Stole Christmas and in Dick Tracy.  Everything looked so great!  What do you think are some of the best effects?

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
spongekryst
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 01:16:49 AM »

The Fly (David Cronenberg's)
claws
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 02:17:58 AM »

Jack Brooks: Monster Slayer. Hard to believe they didn't use CGI. Very cool old school effects.
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 04:59:49 AM »

All the practical creatures in Hellboy 2 are pretty damn amazing, and many of them are HEAVILY made-up actors.  

I think we should distinguish the difference here between "special effects" and "make-up effects".

Make-up effects generally refers to when a living actor is "made-up" to look different in someway.  So, say, Jabba the Hut is not really a make-up effect, he's a puppet.  

Salieri in Amadeus is a more subtle example of pretty great old-age makeup.

The film won Dick Smith the Make-up effects Oscar, something he'd deserved for a long time - he also did most of the effects on The Exorcist, The Godfather, and Scanners.  Those films also have some pretty great make-up effects, ranging from subtle (Don Corleone in The Godfather) to the not-so-subtle (the crazy effects in the Exorcist).  

Amongst the best ever created are the werewolf transformation sequences in An American Werewolf in London.

Edit to add: one more thing to note.  Guilermo Del Toro of Hellboy 2 was in part trained by Dick Smith, and Rick Baker of An American Werewolf in London is a Dick Smith protege..  So yeah, Dick Smith is the man.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 05:03:58 AM by Jim H » Logged
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 11:09:06 AM »

I think Planet of the Apes and the remake both had outstanding make-up. The older movie's make-up wouldn't hold up too well today but as a kid I was blown away by it. It's interesting to see how far Ape Realizations have progressed over several years.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:35:43 PM by Hammock Rider » Logged

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2010, 02:03:52 PM »

And...

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Flick James

Honorary Bastard of Arts

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 02:04:54 PM »

Oh, and I don't care what anybody says, the "old" makeup in A League of Their Own was very well done.

I don't always talk about bad movies, but when I do, I prefer badmovies.org
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 03:32:37 PM »

Tim Curry in Legend.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 08:46:57 AM »

Lets not forget that classic known as "The Wizard Of Oz".  I really feel that makeup/costumes were beyond their time, even now.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
316zombie
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 12:03:50 AM »

the same goes for the 1914(i think) version,and for metropolis.
definitely makeup that was truly intriguing,and also effects that worked WITH the makeup,amazing stuff!
i was also quite impressed with the aging makeup for david bowie in the hunger,it was very well done.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 01:48:11 AM »

The Wolfman (1941)- The transformation took Hours! Buggedout TeddyR

yeah no.
Raffine

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 02:05:02 AM »

Christopher Tucker's work on John Hurt for THE ELEPHANT MAN (1980)

I remember reading an interview with Tucker at the time the film was released where he commented he regretted he couldn't exactly reproduce Merrick's appearance on Hurt, but that would have required breaking and rearranging all the bones in Hurt's face, and Tucker thought he might not go for that.  TeddyR Feeling Merrick's actual appearance was too 'horrific' for the film Tucker decided to go with a more stylized appearance, giving Merrick a subtle sad expression.

Tucker's makeup did cause something of a scandal: The Oscars didn't have a makeup category at the time and they refused to give Tucker a 'special' award (like they did Chambers for PLANET OF THE APES). There was such vocal protests the next year they did create a regular makeup award. Tucker has never won it.

FUN FACT! Tucker also created 'Mr. Creosote' from MONTY PYTHON'S THE MEANING OF LIFE.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2010, 08:06:34 PM »

Probably very dated by today's standards, but I always gave a big hand for Frankenstein Conquers The World.  The makeup on Frankenstein prior to his gigantic transformation was quite a job.

The scene where he steals the necklace off of Kumi Mizuno (after throwing the TV out the window) really showed some good use of face makeup.

The look was very good-a hybrid, warm-blooded living creature that reminded you just enough of The Monster while also retaining a very human quality. Probably way better examples out there, but me and my one-track mind came up with this one.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Best Make-Up Effects in Films « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.