Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:51:52 AM
713393 Posts in 53059 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DEVIL (2010) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DEVIL (2010)  (Read 1975 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: December 23, 2010, 10:30:15 AM »

OK, I know there is a lot of hate for M. Night Shamalayan on this board, but I will say that this is the best movie he has done in a long, long time.  Way better than THE HAPPENING or THE VILLAGE; definitely better than LADY IN THE WATER.

The narration that arcs through the movie repeats an old folk tale: that sometimes the Devil will come to earth to torment the souls of the damned BEFORE they die.  These apparitions are always initiated by a suicide, and involve the damned being trapped in an inescapable circumstance, with one individual who is not what they seem to be.

Now the story opens in New York, with a suicide jumping out of the window of a high rise and landing on the roof of a large truck.  The impact kicks the truck into neutral and it rolls away from the building, which makes investigators initially uncertain as to where the body came from.  By the time they back trace it to the building, a couple blocks away, the workday has already begun, and five individuals hop into an express elevator to get to various upper floors.

Then the elevator stalls out for no reason.   The lights begin to flicker, and tempers begin to flare.  But when one of the elevator occupands suffers a serious wound in the back while the lights are out, things take a turn for the sinister.

This is a good, suspenseful morality tale that is definitely worth watching.  Even if you don't like Shamalyan's films, I think you might like this one.  You won't look at an elevator the same way for awhile . . .

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 11:26:23 AM »

This film was alright, I'd give it a 3/5.

Starts well, but the tension went pretty fast I thought. I wanted the Devil to be in the lift, but also using his powers of darkness throughout the city. But he didn't. Unless stormy coulds count as evil powers, if so, he's not much of a threat.

I liked the optomistic, if totally obvious, ending though.

It does suffer from the fact that its very obvious who the Devil is.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
dean

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 09:20:12 AM »

Well this wasn't directed by Shymalan, so that's probably a reason why it was better.

[I actually like Symalan, but think he has potential to do better...]

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pilgermann

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 12:27:14 PM »

I enjoyed Devil quite a bit. Nice 'n' short, good tension, and watching it in the theater alone was kind of creepy.  Plus, how often do we get to have Satan as the antagonist in films anymore (demonic possession films aside)?  One of the better recent horror films I've seen, although I don't take much time to watch modern horror films these days.

akiratubo

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »

Haven't seen Devil but didn't Shyamalan just act as producer for this one?  I thought he didn't write or direct.

From what I hear, Devil is the first in a loosely-connected series of movies he's producing, mostly to give up-and-comers who've caught his eye a shot in the director's chair on a major release.  If that's so, he must be an all-right guy, regardless of how crappy his own movies have become.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2011, 12:43:06 PM »

I saw the trailer for this movie and it looked good.  Will have to put on the NetFlix queue.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  DEVIL (2010) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.