Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:17:04 AM
713391 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Have Enough Whimsy in Your Life? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Do You Have Enough Whimsy in Your Life?  (Read 9409 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2011, 01:22:47 PM »

Heh. Reminds me of when I was in high school. Me and a friend were in charge of making programs for the next talent show, which had a Monty Python theme. As a throwaway, on the back we had written "Bugger off." The coordinator told us there was no way we could print that, so we ended up replacing it with "Sod off," which she was cool with.

I've never actually made the connection with the origin of "sod" before.

Short for "sodomite." It's funny how culture and language leaves words behind as they evolve. The words outlast their original context, or the common usage of the words on which they're based. Sodomy is a good example. When people today hear "sod," they're more likely to think it has something to do with grass than anal intercourse.

I once got some PC folks complaining when I wrote a headline describing something as a "gyp." I honestly didn't give any thought to the obvious origin of the term. I had room for a three-letter word, and that one sprang to mind. I don't imagine there would have been a single Roma in our readership area, not to mention that old-fashioned Gypsies are so far out of anyone's experience in rural Ontario that nobody else would have given the word any more thought than I did. But a couple of people did take offense. Not personally, of course. They were concerned that it might offend someone else, as is often the case. The complaints, interestingly enough, both came from employees in government offices, where they presumably got some kind of sensitivity training. I told them the word fit the space, I didn't consider it offensive, and if they had a problem with it, write a letter.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Umaril The Unfeathered
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2011, 05:05:19 PM »

Heh. Reminds me of when I was in high school. Me and a friend were in charge of making programs for the next talent show, which had a Monty Python theme. As a throwaway, on the back we had written "Bugger off." The coordinator told us there was no way we could print that, so we ended up replacing it with "Sod off," which she was cool with.

I've never actually made the connection with the origin of "sod" before.

I once got some PC folks complaining when I wrote a headline describing something as a "gyp." I honestly didn't give any thought to the obvious origin of the term. I had room for a three-letter word, and that one sprang to mind. I don't imagine there would have been a single Roma in our readership area, not to mention that old-fashioned Gypsies are so far out of anyone's experience in rural Ontario that nobody else would have given the word any more thought than I did. But a couple of people did take offense. Not personally, of course. They were concerned that it might offend someone else, as is often the case. The complaints, interestingly enough, both came from employees in government offices, where they presumably got some kind of sensitivity training. I told them the word fit the space, I didn't consider it offensive, and if they had a problem with it, write a letter.

PC folks, gotta' love em':

So, I guess we won't be seeing the element "Sodomite" on the Periodic Table any time soon?  TongueOut

Like the word "gyp" is really hurting the image of Gypsies everywhere.

Did your dog "nip" you? You'll have to say "bite" if you don't want any flack from the Far East special interest groups.

Not to mention the uproar if we associated a certain color with a likeness to The Ace Of Spades....  Buggedout

Naturally I'm being sarcastic here, but it's getting ridiculous these days.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Killer Bees
Newly Appointed Government Employee and

Never give up on love

« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2011, 08:45:54 PM »

I'm quite a serious person so, no, I don't have enough whimsy in my life.  I appreciate whimsy and I enjoy it when I have it but I'm quite suspicious of it on a long term basis.  The world needs seriousness most of the time.

My partner is always trying to get me to lighten up and have more fun.  He's very good at taking me out of myself and I really appreciate his efforts but sometimes it just annoys me.

I like being serious.  Oddly enough, I'm happiest when I'm being serious about stuff.  I love a good laugh but if it stopped happening to me, I probably wouldn't notice it that much.

My personality is very much like Dr Brennan from Bones, although I'm not as scientifically educated as her but I do correct people when they are blatantly wrong about things.  I'm not romantic even though I'm a girl and I'm not very good at "feeling" my way through situations.  I usually operate from a logical perspective.  I guess that's why people often baffle me.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 08:52:55 PM by Killer Bees » Logged

Flower, gleam and glow
Let your power shine
Make the clock reverse
Bring back what once was mine
Heal what has been hurt
Change the fates' design
Save what has been lost
Bring back what once was mine
What once was mine.......
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2011, 03:31:25 AM »

I don't recall where I picked this up, but I follow it. Matters of import must be treated lightly and with levity, while matters that are of non-importance must be treated with utmost sincerity.

In actuality, I treat all matters with the same focus and drive. It gets me in trouble sometimes because I don't believe there is a separation between seriousness and whimsy. I embrace the contradiction of life; the absurdity of human existence is inextricably tied up with its tragedy.

Not that I chuckle at funerals, I can't laugh away emotional devastation. However I'm always mindful that no matter how the coin flips, both sides are always available.

Put another way, I have tons of whimsy in my life. But since I have a straight-face that never falters, others find it hard to recognize in me. I seem very, very serious when nothing could be further (closer?) than the truth.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2011, 11:06:11 AM »

Put another way, I have tons of whimsy in my life. But since I have a straight-face that never falters, others find it hard to recognize in me. I seem very, very serious when nothing could be further (closer?) than the truth.

I understand completely. I have a great sense of humour, but I'm just not inclined toward looking happy unless something makes me smile. And as most of you know, I'm not very good at talking when I have nothing in particular to say. I like being around people, but I also have something of a social phobia. I'm always surprised to hear that someone finds me cold, intimidating, aloof, stern or whatever, although I understand it.

Funny though. It tended to work in my favour as a reporter. I have no fear of people when there is something in particular I need to discuss with them, and there is nothing personal at stake. Keep it formal, and I can do it. So I'd always get right down to business, and usually express just enough personal interest to add a bit of warmth. I was often complimented on my professionalism. It was funny, there was an elderly lady from my church who I interviewed about something in her family's history a few years ago. She later told my wife what a perfect gentleman I was. She had always found me intimidating because I didn't say much or socialize much at church, but I was just so thoroughly professional and polite. I had to laugh at that, since it's really all part and parcel of the same thing.

Now, when I'm comfortable with people, the joker in me comes out. And ironically, the surest sign that I like you and feel safe around you is when I start to insult you. That has backfired once or twice. Back in my early 20s, a friend of mine was starting to go bald, and I used to make light of it. Apparently, it bothered him more than he let on. The weird thing was my head was completely shaved even back then. I assumed he'd get the irony and fire a few shots back. I mean, a mutual friend of ours used to refer to me as "the penis with ears" and I took it all in good fun.

---------------------
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2011, 11:52:44 AM »

I got lots of whimsy. Truckloads! ASSLOADS! Im overwhelmed with whimsy! So much dam f#cking whimsy I dont know what to do with it!!!! Whimsy over here-whimsy over there-whimsywhimsywhimsy! I dont know how much more whimsical it can f#cking get!!!! AHHHH! IM ODing on somab***hing WHIMSY!!!!   Buggedout

Actually-Im not even sure what the word "whimsy" means.  TongueOut

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2011, 11:57:40 AM »

I think you all need to go to Whimsy Rehab in  my personal opinion.

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2011, 02:27:28 AM »

Now, when I'm comfortable with people, the joker in me comes out. And ironically, the surest sign that I like you and feel safe around you is when I start to insult you. That has backfired once or twice.

Same here. If I don't make fun of you, chances are I don't like you all that much. If I don't argue with you, chances are I don't really care about your opinion.

All the tender sweetness of a seasick crocodile, folks!

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2011, 12:05:13 PM »

Now, when I'm comfortable with people, the joker in me comes out. And ironically, the surest sign that I like you and feel safe around you is when I start to insult you. That has backfired once or twice.

Same here. If I don't make fun of you, chances are I don't like you all that much. If I don't argue with you, chances are I don't really care about your opinion.

Well, the problem with that, is that there are some people who will use that " I tease you because I like you" pretense to actually abuse people, all the while the abused thinks it's all in good fun.  And there are some people who will take it because they don't have any friends except for maybe that one person.

Teasing people is OK if it's truly in good jest and the other person knows it, but when it becomes downright abusive and condescending, or unnecessarily called for, it's time to draw the line.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2011, 01:59:18 AM »

Well, the problem with that, is that there are some people who will use that " I tease you because I like you" pretense to actually abuse people, all the while the abused thinks it's all in good fun.  And there are some people who will take it because they don't have any friends except for maybe that one person.

Teasing people is OK if it's truly in good jest and the other person knows it, but when it becomes downright abusive and condescending, or unnecessarily called for, it's time to draw the line.

Oh, I'm in complete agreement.

I should probably explain myself. It's only when I comfortable with a person that I make fun of them. I never make fun of a person with the intent to hurt. When I'm joshing with a person, it's always when I know that it will be understood between us that it's a joke. I like you, you like me, this is a joke between us. What I'm saying is that I'm comfortable enough with you that I can joke about our foibles, and I expect you to do the same to me.

I don't ever make fun of people I'm not comfortable with. I never insult people as a signifier of what I feel is my superiority. I have no patience for those who do.

This is the important thing, people are people and deserve respect. It may be that people disagree with me, but I find that no excuse to act like a jerk. To do so shows a spectacular level of uncouthness. I've lived long enough to know that even my closest friends can have a difference of opinion.

That being said, I will push people beyond their level of comfort for laughs. But it has nothing to do with abuse, I'm inviting you to laugh about something you're uncomfortable with as a joke we can share.

Have I crossed the line? Yes, and it mortifies me when I do. I feel bad about it for weeks. But I've spent years exploring that line and my best friends can throw it right back at me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 12:07:10 PM by Mofo Rising » Logged

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2011, 02:03:05 AM »

I got lots of whimsy. Truckloads! ASSLOADS! Im overwhelmed with whimsy! So much dam f#cking whimsy I dont know what to do with it!!!! Whimsy over here-whimsy over there-whimsywhimsywhimsy! I dont know how much more whimsical it can f#cking get!!!! AHHHH! IM ODing on somab***hing WHIMSY!!!!   Buggedout
Actually-Im not even sure what the word "whimsy" means.  TongueOut

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2011, 08:32:31 AM »

I'm not sure I'd want an assload of whimsy. I don't really go in for that sort of thing. TeddyR

---------------------
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Do You Have Enough Whimsy in Your Life? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.