Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:30:53 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  R.I.P. Anne Francis « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: R.I.P. Anne Francis  (Read 6546 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« on: January 03, 2011, 08:17:47 PM »

Bluesad

http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-anne-francis-20110103,0,2031697.story

She lives on, forever young, in Forbidden Planet and Honey West.  Sleep well and thank you Anne.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2011, 11:29:23 PM »

And inexplicably, I watched most of FORBIDDEN PLANET on TCM last night, saying (since LESLIE NIELSEN had so recently died) ANNE FRANCIS is still with us!  "Honey West"...  Smile   Bluesad
She had the most hurtful, tragic, and shocking part in BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK.  And was good in a tough part - not likable but beautiful.
Good night, ANNE.

Please note it doesn't look like ANNE FRANCIS' IMDB page has yet been updated.   Bluesad
« Last Edit: January 03, 2011, 11:35:05 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 07:43:39 AM »

She's also great as one of the rare female leads in The Twilight Zone episode The After Hours.

And I second AHD's call-out for her role in BAD DAY AT BLACK ROCK. She does a remarkable job with a difficult role, and despite myself I feel sort of bad for her.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »

Please note it doesn't look like ANNE FRANCIS' IMDB page has yet been updated.

I noticed that: funny thing is, it was IMDB that put up the notice I saw on FB.   Question

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Hammock Rider

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 10:41:08 AM »

Honey West was the American Emma Peel. I can't believe Anne Francis didn't get more acclaim.

Small | Large

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Silverlady
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 12:02:38 PM »

And inexplicably, I watched most of FORBIDDEN PLANET on TCM last night, saying (since LESLIE NIELSEN had so recently died) ANNE FRANCIS is still with us!  "Honey West"...  Smile   Bluesad

I had been watching Forbidden Planet, too, and thinking the same things.   Bluesad

Hold onto your dreams ....
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2011, 03:33:06 PM »

So sorry to hear this. R.I.P. Anne Francis.  Bluesad

What a beauty Anne was.

Speaking of Leslie Neilsen, I spotted him as a leading man on TV the other night in Tammy and the Bachelor, a movie I find an irresistable guilty pleasure.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:05 PM »

She's also great as one of the rare female leads in The Twilight Zone episode The After Hours.
Great one!!  Forgot it!!  Reminds me of CARNIVAL OF SOULS and also the one that LOIS NETTLETON starred in...  

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 09:25:37 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Umaril The Unfeathered

Pelinal na vasha, racuvar! Sa yando tyavoy nagaia!

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 03:20:26 AM »

Great one!!  Forgot it!!  Reminds me of CARNIVAL OF SOULS and also the one that LOIS NETTLETON starred in...  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eJm7ioOrHE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yp3LZq3_zM&feature=related 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7rFFChg27M&feature=related

Oh man, great call on this one, AHD. It's one of my fave classic TZ eps. And like most of the originals, very thought provoking and more than a bit unsettling.  However, for all of that, you also felt like you wanted to embrace the unknown and roll with it to see where it winds up.  Not too many shows from today can hold that sort of attention with the viewer.

Tam-Riel na nou Sancremath.
Dawn's Beauty is our shining home.

An varlais, nou bala, an kynd, nou latta.
The stars are our power, the sky is our light.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Heca, Pellani! Agabaiyane Ehlnadaya!
Be gone, outsiders! I do not fear your mortal gods!

Auri-El na nou ata, ye A, Umaril, an Aran!
Aure-El is our father, and I, Umaril, the king!
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2011, 12:57:00 AM »

Oh man, great call on this one, AHD. It's one of my fave classic TZ eps. And like most of the originals, very thought provoking and more than a bit unsettling.  However, for all of that, you also felt like you wanted to embrace the unknown and roll with it to see where it winds up.  Not too many shows from today can hold that sort of attention with the viewer.
Well, it was Raffine that made the "great call" I just posted the vids as apparent on YouTube.   Wink

Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2011, 10:41:53 AM »

Well, it was Raffine that made the "great call" I just posted the vids as apparent on YouTube.   Wink

True, Raffine made the great call, but it's always good to have a second referee back up the call,  Smile   But yeah, Anne Francis was a cutie.

It makes me think about something: We hear people say that "this age" and "that age" aren't really "that long ago" and that 75 or 80 isn't that old?

But most people don't realize that Forbidden Planet was almost 60 years ago, or that the bulk of the Three Stooges shorts are over 75 years old (from the mid 30's.)  Also, most of the actors were in their 20's or 30's when they starred in these movies.

I guess my point is that yes, a long time HAS passed, and that it's lucky for us that we still have (and had) some of these stars still among us to become the cult figures they became. 

To think that some people who starred in films from 6 or 7 decades ago are still with us is an amazing thing.

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2011, 11:16:44 AM »

Just the other day, I was watching the Columbo episode where Anne Francis was the victim, made around 1973. She was more mature by then, in about her early 40s.
Small | Large

Yep, that's Leonard Nimoy hitting her with a tire iron.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 03:07:39 AM »

Just the other day, I was watching the Columbo episode where Anne Francis was the victim, made around 1973. She was more mature by then, in about her early 40s.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIIZPtJR0x4
Yep, that's Leonard Nimoy hitting her with a tire iron.

Yeah, a lot of people don't realize how much time has gone by.  Take William Shatner, for instance...born in 1931 (if my memory banks are computing correctly) and that means he'll be 80 this year. That means he was nearly pushing 40 in the mid 60's..

For me, as an old 80's era headbanger, it's also hard to believe that some of the band I listened to have members who are pushing 50 ( or over.)  I guess time really does march on..

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 10:29:19 AM »

When I see Shatner today, I'm just amazed to think that this guy was a real, old-fashioned TV space hero. One of the last of his kind, really.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Umaril The Unfeathered

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 11:24:56 AM »

When I see Shatner today, I'm just amazed to think that this guy was a real, old-fashioned TV space hero. One of the last of his kind, really.

Very true, there aren't many left. With the passing of Jonathan Harris (Dr Smith from Lost In Space,) there aren't that man classic sci-fi villians left either.   

Or if there are, they'll never be of the caliber of character that Harris was able to muster. Making it even greater for Harris was that in a day and age when the studios dictated everything, he pretty much did what he wanted and got away with it. I think that's because the studios knew he could deliver, and boy did he ever!  BounceGiggle

Look how he was only supposed to be the "special guest star" for LIS's first episode, and how he would up stealing the whole cart of apples!

Malatu na nou karan.
Truth is our armor.

Malatu na bala
Truth is power.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  R.I.P. Anne Francis « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.